You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

A question on Torpedo damage

5 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,440 battles

Yeah hello . SO I am still playing Yugomo IJN dd tier IX . I want to know why my torps sometime do damage like 10k sometimes 15k sometimes 20k ? Can you folks tell me the factors determining torp damage ?

Thank you

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,772 posts
4,021 battles

Compartments become damage saturated therefore reducing the level of damage you can do.    Multiple hits to a compartment before you hit it will reduce your damage score.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Damage_Saturation#First_Damage_Threshold

also RNG

1,091 posts
7,756 battles

Aside from Saturation as mentioned above

Saturated part when Hit, would deal Half damage CMIIW. it mostly occur if Bow or stern were hit

Ships have Torpedo protection system (TDS), of varying reduction value on ship midsection, but not on bow or stern.

since midsection have almost no chance of being saturated.  most of the times only TDS value that matter if it got hit

Edited by humusz

449 posts
8,073 battles

I can't be sure, but I think the TDS is less effective for a short cooldown after each hit. I've noticed when getting hit by more than one fish that each fish tends to do more damage than the last, but if there is a long enough gap (not long) the damage done is lower again. Of course this depends on all the torps hitting your torpedo belt, any that don't do full damage (provided it's not saturated). This is based purely on observation, so there may be some other mechanic at play.

907 posts
7,203 battles
4 hours ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

I want to know why my torps sometime do damage like 10k sometimes 15k sometimes 20k

You seem to score enough torpedo hits to notice these things, so congratulations.

The other day I scored 3 citadels on a cruiser – between 800 and 2000 damage. I mean, citadel hit for 800 HP, that must be rare. The cruiser was probably on 50% health. Similar issues.

I don’t think it is so different from artillery shells, you can get between 0 and max AP or HE value. Even more for detonation.

Above posts describe the factor very well.