25 comments in this topic

48 posts
6,291 battles

DES MOINES GUIDE - BY N00B1E the Noob (kind of)

so, you have a des moines ? and you're crap in it ? 

look no further! your fellow scrub will share his experience using Des Moines, the advantage and disadvantages of Des Moines, what to know about her and the in's and out's of effective rock hugging Des Memes gameplay !

1. What TO expect in a Des Moines
    1. NASA shells (ie: enormous lead time)
    2. stupid AP penetration angles (ie: more forgiving autobounce angle)
    3. DAKKA! spam (tips: don't just spam without hitting anything, ammo cost in T10 is expensive)
    4. a point and click gameplay (you rarely can, emphasis on rarely. find yourself not moving from your camping spot and still farming 100k+ damage)
    5. Battleships spamming AP at you (like, a lot)
    6. setting up tent more often than you like (ie: camping behind rock)
  2. What NOT to expect in a Des Moines
    1. bouncing BB shells by just bowtanking
    2. being an roaming cruiser early game
    3. being in a comfortable distance away from battleships
    4. CV plane strikes on early game
    5. a decent person playing DD smoking you up (unless you're in a division, or you're really really lucky)
    6. surviving focus fire from enemy team

So, after knowing the above topic, let's start the guide !

Des Moines how to 101 :fish_book:

• STEP NUMBAA ONE : First thing to do !
    • is to determine where you want to put your Des Moines , preferably a location with lots of island cover (ie: control points, important passageway, center of map, etc)
  • STEP NUMBAA TWO: How to survive !
    • put your Des Moines in a angled position that make escaping easy behind the island cover
      • this depends on where the enemy approach come from
    • DO. NOT. EVER. GO BOWTANK to a Battleship(exception on 15inch gunned BB's like bismarck and richeleau)
      • the most sensible thing to do is to run away, if you got any sense (unlike me) you will notice BB position and will use your 10,3 km concealment to run
      • if you DO get shot by a BB with 16inch guns and larger, the recommended action to do is either wiggling your boat to mess their aim
        • OR giving a shallow angle hoping for the shells to bounce on your main belt (easier to say than actually doing it !)
    • Make sure you know when to run and when you can hold, for example:
      • running from a couple of yamatos
      • holding off three cruisers from behind island cover
      • generally being a pest to the enemy team from island cover
    • SITUATION AWARENESS ! 
      • make sure to see the map from time to time
      • generally making calls on when to stay and when to push up is difficult, but if you're in doubt, it's better to run and find a better spot ! :Smile_hiding:
  • STEP NUMBAA THREE : Farming Damage !
    • KNOW WHAT TO SHOOT FIRST AND WHAT TO LEFT FOR YOUR TEAMMATES 
      1. SHOOT at THESE FIRST - broadside showing ships, close range ships (close range)
        • if multiple ships close to you, shoot the closest broadside showing ship first
          • angle your ship to the angled closest ship, since your DPM will vaporize broadside showing ships
        • shooting angled ships is not recommended
          • if you have to, try setting fire on their bow first
            • if the ship angle is shallow enough, you can AP their bow for a hefty pen damage
            • citadeling BB's with AP is possible at close range, do mind it's only for select BB's only (ie: Iowa/Missouri, North Carolina, etc) search in google for the full list
              • do remember that Des Moines is not moskva, don't shoot at a BB's main belt
      2. YOUR PRIMARY VICTIMS - broadside Cruisers and Destroyers's (close to mid range)
        • for cruisers, the best way to farm damage is by using AP
          • start switching to HE when your victim turns to angle
          • if multiple, shoot the closest ones first
      3. OPTIONAL TARGET TO FARM DAMAGE - Battleships, Destroyers, Carrier and angled Cruisers (medium range)
        • shoot AP on broadside battleships
          • IF said battleship is angled, spam HE 
            • if it's already on fire with two or more fires, spam AP on the superstructure instead
        • shooting at DD's at 12km+ is hard for new DM players, i recommend getting used to the shell ballistics before doing this (also applies to Baltimore)
        • angled Cruisers is a little bit difficult to crack, generally the easiest way to do it is by spamming HE
          • or if you are used to the AP shell ballistics, you can spam AP for normal damage at 12km+
        • since CV usually hang back at map corners, it is not advisable to seek CV
          • but, if you do get lucky catching one with it's pants down. feel free to lob shells for that extra damage
      4. TARGETS NOT WORTH SHOOTING (ie: shoot only if you got nothing else to shoot at)
        • Destroyers at 14km+
        • angled Cruisers running away from you at 16km+
        • Battleships running away at 17km+

DD HUNTING 101 (somehow, someway. i forgot to make this topic)

You are tired of having DD's evade your snail speed shells ? grief no further ! because this guide will teach you DD counterplay in Des Moines 101 !

• RULE NUMBAA ONE !
    • if you got other targets that is easier to shoot at, don't shoot the DD
      • unless the DD is dying that is
      • the reason is, while you got a doubled firepower compared to baltimore, the shells are still those slow moving NASA arc shells. and in DD hunting every shell that hit the DD counts
      • every shell that missed the DD, is a shell that hit other ships, so aim correctly and gitgud 
  • RULE NUMBAA TWO !
    • do not overextend yourself when hunting DD's ! this will lead to you being lewded by other ships
      • or in easier terms, don't get lured in by the tempting DD
        • you can freely chase after the DD if it got no friends around, be careful of Battleships sniping you halfway across the map though
        • or the lurking Cruiser behind island cover with AP loaded, those are scary 
  • RULE NUMBAA THREE !
    • use consumables sparingly
      • while using radar on DD's can be tempting, do see if you really need the radar for it. it can be annoying when you are wasting a radar while the DD is spotted by other ships (or radared/sonared)
      • same thing with DamCon, if you have the HP do not put off a single or double fire. your fire duration is 30 second base, and it can be lowered to around 20 second
        • and Repair Party heals 100% of fire damage too
        • save DamCon for a flooding damage, or a turret break
      • DefAA is useful for guarding yourself/a teammate from planes, or mowing down fighters for your team CV
        • keep in mind the long reload time, use it when you sure that the planes will stick around your ship (or when a ship near you are going to be striked)
        • the medium range AA on Des Moines provide most of your AA DPS, this too affect the DPS boost on DefAA time. if those are dead your AA are useless
          • the AA range upgrade will help you by increasing the 76,2mm AA range to 5km, and AFT will increase it even further beyond !!!! (can't resist the weeb reference)
      • Sonar is useful for detecting torps when you are travelling from cover to cover, and for your general purpose brawl permaspotting behind island cover

TIPS AND TRICKS

• don't be afraid of using AP on far away Battleships ! you can citadel BB's with the plunging fire mechanics, even without citadels you will melt a broadside showing BB if you keep hitting the deck 
  • the AP can penetrate a close Iowa/NC's bow and citadel it. that is if you are close enough
  • close range AP on bow on ships are not recommended, unless you're intending to disable the turrets
  • you can penetrate the bow for full penetration damage, that is if you get them shallowly angled for the AP to pen
    • using this trick, you can melt a BB pushing at you, even sinking her
      • do remember to keep yourself angled and keep prevent the pushing ship from ramming you
  • do remember that fires last for 30 second on cruisers, this will be cut to 24 second with Basics of Survivability captain skill

MY RECOMMENDED BUILD & CAPTAIN SKILLS

• SHIP MODULES
    • MAIN ARMAMENTS MOD1
    • DAMCONSYSTEM MOD1/RADAR UPGRADE MOD
    • AA RANGE UPGRADE MOD1/ AIMING SYSTEMS MOD1
    • PROPULSION MOD2
    • CONCEALMENT MOD
    • RANGE MOD
  • CAPTAIN SKILL
    • MUST HAVE
      • PRIORITY TARGET
      • ADRENALINE EXPERT
      • SUPERINTENDENT
      • CONCEALMENT EXPERT
    • SECONDARY PRIORITY (useful stuff)
      • BASIC OF SURVIVABILITY
      • EXPERT LOADER
      • EXPERT MARKSMAN
      • FIRE PREVENTION
    • DEDICATED AA STUFF
      • BASIC FIRING TRAINING
      • ADVANCED FIRING TRAINING
      • MANUAL AA

so, in a glance Des Moines is a cruiser that is best for defensive plays, her DPM will make everything be cautious on pushing on her. park her behind a island cover and you will lock down a location, in a right location you can held off a lot of ships. in fact, finding these key locations to park your DM is a must do every matches. but played right she will own the match

Please R&R, comments are appreciated and reviews are welcome. i'm going to update this guide whenever it's possible so expect changes:cap_cool:

Edit: added the DD hunting section

Edited by n00b1e
improvement to the guide

2,247 posts
13,950 battles

First off I would just like to say this is the most readable post I've seen in a long time. Upvote for formatting.

48 posts
6,291 battles
19 minutes ago, keskparane said:

First off I would just like to say this is the most readable post I've seen in a long time. Upvote for formatting.

Wow thanks, this is my first guide i posted, your comment is appreciated

455 posts
8,038 battles

@n00b1e Really nice post.
My only suggestion is taking reload mod over range mod. This gives up a little long range damage farming potential against bbs or other camping ca while increasing your damage output- the dpm increase could be the difference between killing a dd with your radar and letting it limp away with 500 hp. Also helps with 1v1 faceoff situations, letting you kill the enemy a bit faster so you may live.

48 posts
6,291 battles
16 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

@n00b1e Really nice post.
My only suggestion is taking reload mod over range mod. This gives up a little long range damage farming potential against bbs or other camping ca while increasing your damage output- the dpm increase could be the difference between killing a dd with your radar and letting it limp away with 500 hp. Also helps with 1v1 faceoff situations, letting you kill the enemy a bit faster so you may live.

The only problem with the reload build is you cannot do anything when the ships are 16km away from you, and it give away the kiting potential DM have

Btw, if enough guys liking this guide. i'm thinking of making more for US cruiser line

Edited by n00b1e

381 posts
9,973 battles

Great guide overall. If I could suggest something for improvement, maybe you should attach some map images (can be found on WG wiki) and highlight some cover spots which are usually used by DM to control a specific area. It would be a nice addition for position-dependent ships like US cruisers.

455 posts
8,038 battles
1 hour ago, n00b1e said:

The only problem with the reload build is you cannot do anything when the ships are 16km away from you, and it give away the kiting potential DM have

You're supposed to be always close to the caps, so there shouldnt be a lack of targets within your 16km range. And you're not supposed to be kiting with dm anyway unless in desperation(so it wont make much difference)

Video Contributor
2,279 posts
10,881 battles
1 minute ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

To summarize :cap_hmm:, how to Des moines 101:

-find an island

-hug it

-burning love

-????

-PROFIT!!!

-spotter

-maximum teamplay

-??????????

-ultimate profit

2,247 posts
13,950 battles

My problem is you don't really put any emphasis on hunting dds. Radar is a powerful tool and if leveraged can quickly eliminate dd threat. Every DM I've had in team today has done nothing to contribute to hunting the dds. They are all just farming damage while the team loses to cap points. So many easy wins just thrown away.

Edited by keskparane

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,917 battles

One thing to note is that you can still bow-tank 15 inch shells. So if you are facing ships like Alsace/Bismarck/Monarch then you can simply point your nose in and farm damage...as long as your flanks are safe.

48 posts
6,291 battles
15 hours ago, keskparane said:

My problem is you don't really put any emphasis on hunting dds. Radar is a powerful tool and if leveraged can quickly eliminate dd threat. Every DM I've had in team today has done nothing to contribute to hunting the dds. They are all just farming damage while the team loses to cap points. So many easy wins just thrown away.

ah, forgot to make a section on DD hunting how to. sorry about that

Edited by n00b1e

[ATLAS]
12 posts
11,409 battles

But how to dislodge a moines from its position ? as a dd player i always go NOPE when i see dm lock the position and change to other cap leaving my bb dealing with whatever dd near that dm (am i cruel?). Coz im not expecting my bb to push with me and kill that dm.... :etc_swear::etc_swear: :etc_red_button:

399 posts
7,218 battles
56 minutes ago, 0utsider said:

But how to dislodge a moines from its position ? as a dd player i always go NOPE when i see dm lock the position and change to other cap leaving my bb dealing with whatever dd near that dm (am i cruel?). Coz im not expecting my bb to push with me and kill that dm.... :etc_swear::etc_swear: :etc_red_button:

Expecting BB team mates to destroy radar ships is an exercise in futility!

381 posts
9,973 battles

You should not expect ally BB to kill a DM during early game. If the DM player is good he would be near impossible to be severely damaged by BB while in an entrenched position. The better option would be asking your BB to kill the surrounding ships and push up asap leaving that DM little room to run.

48 posts
6,291 battles
3 hours ago, 0utsider said:

the easiest way to dislogde a Des Moines from island cover in DD ? well you can try your luck flanking it, of luring it by being detected and hope the player derped by chasing you up. in my opinion it is a matter of who is the better player, you or the Des Moines. because it is impossible to dislogde a well positioned DM without a huge HP tradeoff

10 minutes ago, LunaStinger said:

The better option would be asking your BB to kill the surrounding ships and push up asap leaving that DM little room to run.

this is actually the best way to counter an entrenched DM, by avoiding it in the first place. also the reason why i recommend the RANGE MOD for Des Moines. you can't annoy what you can't HE spam !

[LBAS]
185 posts
4,019 battles

I like this. Like it quite a lot. Well done. Kudos to you.

That said, maybe expand it in how to deal with each class? Such as 'BB? Hide. Burn it down, run and hide.

48 posts
6,291 battles
55 minutes ago, FinbarAu said:

I like this. Like it quite a lot. Well done. Kudos to you.

That said, maybe expand it in how to deal with each class? Such as 'BB? Hide. Burn it down, run and hide.

thank you :p 

well, i believe i'd already typed ways on how to deal with BB's. maybe i haven't write it comprehensive enough  ? :cap_hmm: 

[LBAS]
185 posts
4,019 battles

My bad, I was distracted multiple times during my read through, so I likely missed it. 

48 posts
6,291 battles

well des moines is not meant to straight up fight a BB alone, you need island cover to actually contribute without getting deleted. unique for des moines and minotaur is the island camping gameplay you should exploit when dealing with BB's, i believe i already written the ideal spots to shoot BB's at above

455 posts
8,038 battles

I'll add some tips for fighting bbs in DM.
>If bb is angled, shoot he at his superstructure and set him ablaze. DM with reload mod has the highest fire set/min of any ship in game.
>If bb is giving a flat/near flat broadside to you, shoot AP at his upper belt. You can get anywhere between 5k to 8k volleys if you aim well- and that adds up really fast as you have 5s reload

CLOSE QUARTERS
generally you avoid getting in close quarters with BBs in the first place, but all hope is not lost. If the bb does not destroy you in the first salvo, you have 30 s= 6 salvos till his next. also, if the BB did not expect you, his guns might be turned the wrong way. You have to utilize your huge dpm to win the fight before the bb blaps you.
So what you do is you start shooting AP at his bow till it is saturated. You will get full pens and deal 8-10k damage, but it will get saturated soon and you will only get overpens. So at that point you switch to his stern and repeat. also, try to circle him so his turrets take time to catch up to you to buy more time and try to bait his shots to your angled belt instead of your bow.
special cases: if the bb is a bismarck/tirpitz or any other bb with 15 inch guns, you can actually bow tank them and just dpm them till they die. Some bbs seem to be susceptible to being cit by DM ap but at this point im not sure if its intended or a bug so I'll leave that part out

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles
On 22/03/2018 at 9:47 PM, icy_phoenix said:

@n00b1e, great post. Sadly, this post will get flooded out by shitposts in General section. You should add this to

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/forum/224-game-guides-and-tutorials/

Either ask a mod to move it, or just open a new one there.

Keep it moving, nothing to see in general discussions..... :cap_book:

On a serious note, liking the post, this should help me as well. :cap_win: