You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Somedude_Yudachi

Is KGV really a better ship than Monarch?

27 comments in this topic

411 posts
5,948 battles

Yes...reasons are stated in your photo...It's nothing but a side-grade and a bad one 

411 posts
5,948 battles
2 hours ago, Somedude_Yudachi said:

So confuse to grind it to lion exp by exp or just bypass it faster with remaining free exp

Btw kinda away from the topic but personally I would suggest against grinding Conqueror...it is a BOOOORING sheep:fish_palm: and is waaay squishier than anything in the game. So, unless you have absolutely nothing else to grind, u might think about not wasting your time...just my two cents:Smile_great:

35 posts
12,608 battles

Not really.

you can farm even more damage firing at those big TX ships.
use the spotter plane upgrade and you'll be more than fine.

269 posts
23,189 battles

Imo the KGV is stronger than any T8 Battleship, not just the monarch. 

If you can exploit its strengths and don't have any moral qualms about being an HE spamming BB scumbag its just a bit weaker than the Lion.

411 posts
5,948 battles
1 hour ago, pradityan said:

Not really.

you can farm even more damage firing at those big TX ships.
use the spotter plane upgrade and you'll be more than fine.

Those are called recipe of disaster and are some of the reasons why so many high tier BBs end up not contributing much to the outcome of a battle...

15 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

No, a t8 ship is by no means weaker than the t7 of the same line. But she might feel weaker due to harder MM and opposing ships. You could say... Uncomfortable.

Just because it has 32mm Bow and Stern armor and access to Concealment Mod "Because it is t8" doesn't make a ship stronger/not weaker

[LNA]
1,616 posts
10,238 battles

Monarch is less a less noticeable boost than you would expect. I would rate it a 15% boost while other get something like 20-33% boost when going up a tier.

The 32mm is nice though , you no longer get slam dunked by 16 inches and lower though you do meet yama sushi quite a lot more.

Monarch is meh in its tier while KGV can be good if given time for fire DPS.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
3 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Those are called recipe of disaster and are some of the reasons why so many high tier BBs end up not contributing much to the outcome of a battle...

Just because it has 32mm Bow and Stern armor and access to Concealment Mod "Because it is t8" doesn't make a ship stronger/not weaker

It pretty does to me. Yes, may be the changes aren't drastic, but even the two you mentioned makes a huge difference. Why do you think Belfast is so feared? Radar isn't anything new in tier 7. That access to the concealment mod is what makes her OP. Examples are everywhere. It is not like gun numbers must double up when you go tier up or you need x amount of boost in HP or whatever, these small side things can make a huge impact when you consider strength.

Besides, if Monarch is the black sheep in the family, better be at a tier 8 than a tier 9... Like Izumo, or FDG, or Ibuki.....

Edited by icy_phoenix

449 posts
8,062 battles

I agree Monarch isn't as strong as the other T8 BBs, but she is better than KGV. Although KGV feels better to play because it is comparatively stronger to the ships it faces, monarch has better AP which is quite capable of dev striking cruisers.

Considering how strong some of the other T8 BBs are (I quite like Amagi and Bismarck) she doesn't have to be weak to feel a bit meh compared to those.

354 posts
9,048 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Besides, if Monarch is the black sheep in the family, better be at a tier 8 than a tier 9... Like Izumo, or FDG, or Ibuki.....

Izumo, FDG, Ibuki - my 1st three t9 ships - why didn't someone warn me :Smile_sceptic:

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
6 minutes ago, Moldavia said:

Izumo, FDG, Ibuki - my 1st three t9 ships - why didn't someone warn me :Smile_sceptic:

the taste of awesome Tier 10s while grinding through the meh ones is worth the effort, sometimes

35 posts
12,608 battles
9 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

o yeah? this 'recipe of disaster' has gotten me more wins than lose in my monarch, as far as I can remember.

I don't believe monarch is weaker than any other T8 battleships. It's just that its strength is a little bit different than those of the traditional BBs, and it just so happens that this strength is frowned upon by the community in general.

Beta Tester
596 posts
6,666 battles

Clearly the game is encouraging you not to play T8! 

My advice is if you don't like a ship, then don't play it.  Pretty straightforward really.  If it's a ship you have to grind through, then use the best xp camos and flags you have to make the grind as short as possible, then sell the ship when you're done.

1,386 posts
8,075 battles

Am I the only one to enjoy Monarch quite a bit? I never played KGV, but from my experience with T8-10 RN BB, I enjoyed the balanced performance between the shell types more than pure HE spam. She rewards patience, careful gunnery plotting and good use of concealment.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

411 posts
5,948 battles
14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

None of them are copy-pastes of their previous tier ships...

7 hours ago, pradityan said:

o yeah? this 'recipe of disaster' has gotten me more wins than lose in my monarch, as far as I can remember.

Well, then I'm not sure if you're playing in the same server as I am...because unless you get really lucky with the MM(which you can), those aren't stuff that helps win a match

411 posts
5,948 battles
3 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Am I the only one to enjoy Monarch quite a bit? I never played KGV, but from my experience with T8-10 RN BB, I enjoyed the balanced performance between the shell types more than pure HE spam. She rewards patience, careful gunnery plotting and good use of concealment.

And after doing all of that correctly, when you see half of your shells acting like torpedo going towards the water and rest of the half going towards the moon none of them even reaching remotely close to the target...:etc_swear:

And for not playing KGV, I'd say you missed A LOT of fun...and it is THE main reason for you to say you enjoy Monarch.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
5 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

And after doing all of that correctly, when you see half of your shells acting like torpedo going towards the water and rest of the half going towards the moon none of them even reaching remotely close to the target...:etc_swear:

And for not playing KGV, I'd say you missed A LOT of fun...and it is THE main reason for you to say you enjoy Monarch.

At this point, I have to say, you are just too biased to listen to anyone else's experience. So yah, best of luck :cap_like:

1,386 posts
8,075 battles
2 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Why everyone complains about Monarch's accuracy? I have a nice 30% main battery hit ratio on Monarch, and based on data mining, it IS more accurate than Amagi. I would rate a "reasonably reliable" in terms of accuracy.

I don't have KGV, but I did make my way through Lion and Conqueror, both of which I preferred a healthy mix of shell types, with AP being the preferred. Being a solo main, IMO my stats on both ships are fairly good. KGV based on ballistic calculations (and my experience with DoY) seem to have quite absolutely shyt AP(lower penetration than some T5 guns, and the caliber means she cannot deal critical salvo against angled T8+ cruisers), which (coupled with the 2nd Anniversary camo) made me skip KGV.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

1,091 posts
7,756 battles

well I think its more like perception Bias.

KGV were strong at her tier, and T7 were also somewhat have enjoyable matchmaking.

Monarch were just feel lacking on her tier, Amagi, NC, Bismarck were all superior competitor compared to Monarch. and being thrown into T8 matchmaking making her feel underpowered even more

When you compare the two directly, it would be silly to even think that Monarch is weaker than KGV

but on grander scale of things, yes it was

Edited by humusz

[IDOLM]
28 posts
9,862 battles

I don't think so. The KG-V is easy to make damage since the good HE shell but a 12.2km spotted range and really weak AP shell and spreading makes it can only do limited teamwork exp support DD in a close distance. The Monarch can only be spotted at 10.9km like a cruiser. Think about it. when an enemy DD is spotted you can directly provide gun fire from around 11 km. it's pretty close range to ensure hit accuracy. 380mm HE shell usually can make huge dmg to DD in this distance can then u can disappear easily due to your good detected range. Also, the AP shell of Monarch is better than KG-V it can make pretty good dmg. But this ship u need to often switch HE and AP not just HE spam like KG_V. Anyway, if you don't like teamwork or just like to farm dmg, KGV is better.

411 posts
5,948 battles
22 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

KGV based on ballistic calculations (and my experience with DoY) seem to have quite absolutely shyt AP(lower penetration than some T5 guns, and the caliber means she cannot deal critical salvo against angled T8+ cruisers), which (coupled with the 2nd Anniversary camo) made me skip KGV.

You don't need AP because KGV HE is GOD MODE:cap_haloween:that is the part you missed because you didn't play...:Smile-_tongue:

23 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

At this point, I have to say, you are just too biased to listen to anyone else's experience. So yah, best of luck :cap_like:

He doesn't have any experience with KGV...that is why "He" is biased towards Monarch :fish_palm:

269 posts
23,189 battles
On 3/21/2018 at 4:17 PM, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Why everyone complains about Monarch's accuracy? I have a nice 30% main battery hit ratio on Monarch, and based on data mining, it IS more accurate than Amagi. I would rate a "reasonably reliable" in terms of accuracy.

I don't have KGV, but I did make my way through Lion and Conqueror, both of which I preferred a healthy mix of shell types, with AP being the preferred. Being a solo main, IMO my stats on both ships are fairly good. KGV based on ballistic calculations (and my experience with DoY) seem to have quite absolutely shyt AP(lower penetration than some T5 guns, and the caliber means she cannot deal critical salvo against angled T8+ cruisers), which (coupled with the 2nd Anniversary camo) made me skip KGV.

First determine if you're an amoral nihilistic scumbag who wants this server to burn in Hades for all the headaches its caused him. Like myself.

If the answer is yes, proceed. 

1) Buy the KGV
2) train a RN BB commander with IFHE (I just reassigned my Belfast commander to KGV, all the skills are pretty much what I'd have picked - with the exception of swapping DE out for Vigilance)
3) enjoy games like the attached screenshot. Stoically accept marginally lower winrate and significantly higher rate of getting reported by the enemy.

TFW when you'd much rather face T9 ships than T5 ships in the KGV.

shot-18.02.14_17.22.32-0099.jpg