Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

Yugomo To Shima : My big dilemma

32 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,591 battles

Hello once again ,

So I am in kind of mess . I am just 60k away to unlock SHimakaze . I have 16 point commander . I use premium Torpedo reload boosters on my Yugomo i.e. 3 charges . Soon I will reach 17 skill captain and think unlocking superintendent skill which will gib me like 4 AWESOME TRB charges which could be game changer xD

Now teh dilemma , if I unlock shimakaze , I will have to reset my capain skills kek and I have heard those 20 km torps with TA are also not that effective as in it gets detected quick .I also have a question here so what if torp reaction time is 14 sec , the rudder shift time of highter tier  bb is still 20-30 seconds . Still they are able to dodge 15 torpedo salvos?  How true is all of this ? I am really confused I mean 15 torpedo salvos should be insane but I wont be getting TRB in shimakaze and with  premium TRB plus Superintendent skill I get (4) 16 torpedo salvos which are extremely formidable right ?

So what do I do ?

Thank you :)

481 posts
7,592 battles
21 minutes ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

if I unlock shimakaze , I will have to reset my capain skills

Please explain why you have to reset captain skills? Why can't you use captain with existing skills on shima?

1,124 posts

Shima is the BEST!!

...crap... Someone possess me to say that...

Shimakaze play style is depend on tropedo you choose to equip 

20km torpedo is still effective IF use them right (see my past 20km torp showcase)I t's nick name 'camp breakers' and 'potato killer'

How ever at that distance gap between each torp is so wide so that full broadside BB can slip through, my method is to drop all 15 at same location

You have to understand map, know where enemy like to camp and send all your torpedo their way. Try not to let your torp pass within cap since they bound to be spot by enemy DD

Remember price of safe play is inconsistent damage.

12km torpedo are most viable one, but high vigilance BB can still Dodge it

Currently I'm runing wild with F3 (8km torp) in shimakaze

Hard to use but deadly and rewarding.

381 posts
9,957 battles

You don't use 20km torps for serious play - WG intentionally nerfed it to make it borderline useless. The 12km option is way better.

About BB dodging a whole 15 torps salvo, it is generally because they change their direction before they can spot your torps (either by random instinct or good prediction). If they only turn when your torps arrive, they are still very likely to eat 1-2 torps. But 1-2 torps do not deal that much damage to a tier 10 BB and your torp reload time is terrible which translates into very poor torp DPM in reality - it's the main reason why people complain about Shima torps. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
2 minutes ago, LunaStinger said:

You don't use 20km torps for serious play

nein

you will still be able to hit with it anyway, for some reason

some player is just oblivious enough to get hit by it

the other reason that you dont need aim, or even detect the enemy ship beforehand

the most oblivious player is the one who is not detected and full HP

Edited by Harpoon01

165 posts
3,591 battles
25 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

Remember price of safe play is inconsistent damage.

woke af

5 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

you will still be able to hit with it anyway, for some reason

I havent tried yet but from the videos on youtube , yeah they hit hard

8 minutes ago, LunaStinger said:

You don't use 20km torps for serious play - WG intentionally nerfed it to make it borderline useless. The 12km option is way better.

Guess I will have to experiment with 12km and 20km with TA

36 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Please explain why you have to reset captain skills? Why can't you use captain with existing skills on shima?

Because I will have to choose TA over Superintendent incase I use 20km torps to experiment it .

[OZPRT]
27 posts

Do you need that 4th charge of reload booster often in battles? If not, that number "4" is just for show. Otherwise, take superintendent and make the enemies dance.

Edited by Orphne

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,753 battles

Yugumo is a better ship than Shima.  Just stick with it, enjoy your much better ability to contest caps and avoid damage.  You get the same torps, a much better torp c/d, and the ability to use TRB.  Yugumo is most definitely the best ship in the line.

165 posts
3,591 battles
16 hours ago, Orphne said:

Do you need that 4th charge of reload booster often in battles? If not, that number "4" is just for show. Otherwise, take superintendent and make the enemies dance.

well not often but with four charges you get more flexibility to spam caps with pre emptive torps

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
1 hour ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

well not often but with four charges you get more flexibility to spam caps with pre emptive torps

extra engine booster is also needed if you survive long enough in the battle

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

Shima has slight advantage when it comes to speed. I haven't played Shima myself in live server, but I think generally speed helps a lot with torpedo boats, especially if you can drop 15 at a time. Main reason I always miss torps on enemies is, I drop from somewhere enemy knows. If you can torp from an unsuspecting angle, then you will land a lot of devastating blows.

273 posts
1,220 battles
On 3/18/2018 at 5:49 PM, ROFLSaurusRex said:

I am really confused I mean 15 torpedo salvos should be insane but I wont be getting TRB in shimakaze and with  premium TRB plus Superintendent skill I get (4) 16 torpedo salvos which are extremely formidable right ?

Yes....getting the SI skills for your current captain is really formidable unless you turn him into a fully dedicated captain for your yugumo/kagero. If you intend to transfer him to shima, that extra consumable you get from SI is pretty much insignificant as compared to Torpedo Armament Expertise & SE skills which would be much more useful. Below is my shima captain which is an all rounder torp build.

For a dedicated captain on kagero/yugumo just swap the TAE skill to SI for that extra TRB to spam 16 torps :Smile_izmena: & nowadays it is much more useful using TRB for kagero/yugumo.

As for shima, just spam your 1st 10 torps and keep the last 5 torps for emergency or to do permanent flooding when the enemy ship had used up her repair.

shot-18_03.19_20_49.21-0398.thumb.jpg.22bcd720a5e353ea5b0d3f3944dc2128.jpg

[1NATN]
286 posts
5,223 battles
19 hours ago, Hey_Potato said:

shot-18_03.19_20_49.21-0398.thumb.jpg.22bcd720a5e353ea5b0d3f3944dc2128.jpg

Fun fact: This identical build is also excellent on the Fletcher.

Edited by Webba84

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
7 minutes ago, Webba84 said:

Flash news: this build, however, is not fit for Kidd even when she is also fletcher class ship

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, Webba84 said:

Most high concealment DDs in the game will actually get a similar build, may be TAE will be changed to SI/BFT/DE depending on player, but more or less same build. Like, what choice do we really have :P

326 posts
10,481 battles
2 hours ago, Webba84 said:

My Kidd, Fletcher& Gearing  more to AA build, which is pretty awesome & I love it. Somehow Fletcher AA build is slight better than Gearing.

shot-18_03.20_18_42.26-0785.thumb.jpg.30eb75364f71b3d96a4343e075c7ed5a.jpgshot-18_03.20_18_42.48-0200.thumb.jpg.fdedb6039304c677ac5d755fca96b2c6.jpg

Fun fact: While my Fletcher & Gearing equip with AA build, most of the time MM  put me in non-CV match. :fish_palm:

Edited by ArchKongou

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
3 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

Fun fact: While my Fletcher & Gearing equip with AA build, most of the time MM  put me in non-CV match. :fish_palm:

it has something to do with the extremely low population of CV player in high tier

273 posts
1,220 battles
3 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

My Kidd, Fletcher& Gearing  more to AA build, which is pretty awesome & I love it. Somehow Fletcher AA build is slight better than Gearing.

shot-18_03.20_18_42.26-0785.thumb.jpg.30eb75364f71b3d96a4343e075c7ed5a.jpgshot-18_03.20_18_42.48-0200.thumb.jpg.fdedb6039304c677ac5d755fca96b2c6.jpg

:cap_wander::etc_swear: jealous...how i wish i have that amount of credits so i can for shopping spree....

Below is my fletcher build for aggressive play and dd hunting build:

shot-18_03.20_21_58.22-0846.thumb.jpg.b088b68bb1dc1539dcf8357b592d9c7d.jpg

273 posts
1,220 battles
19 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Suddenly everyone just started showing their Fletcher captains in Yugumo/Shima thread..... Poor IJN DDs. Doesn't work in game, doesn't work in forum either :P

Lets wait for WG to buff shima. Hope they give shima the guns of khabab and 20km deep water torps

273 posts
1,220 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

Shimarovsk!!!

You for got the 20km deep water torps...Shimarovskyang!

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles
4 minutes ago, Hey_Potato said:

You for got the 20km deep water torps...Shimarovskyang!

More like Asashimarovsk.

And pls no more buff, there is no way we can sneak in a Kidd in there... Name is already hard..

Edited by icy_phoenix

43 posts
15,148 battles

shima is meh. the yugumo is way better. i just hate the ijn torps launch 15 torps at a bunch of ships and not a single hit:Smile_sad: tried TA tried f3 its still shit. the problem is the torp detection. too easy to spot and dodge. and the other t10 dds will sink you in a gunbattle:Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this