You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Yaleling

Speed boost and surface detection range

21 comments in this topic

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles

Hey everyone,
When I started WoWS about 2 years ago, I was taught that using the speed boost consumable increased your surface by about 2km.

The H key table of detection ranges doesn't list any change for using speed boost. And neither does the live surface detection meter below the cross hairs. Was I lied to, or has that mechanic been removed from the game?

411 posts
6,164 battles

Lol...afaik, there is no mechanic named "Elongated smoke trail increases detection by 2km"!:Smile_teethhappy:

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles

Jingles lied to us then.

Well, he'd be the first to admit that this isn't the first time he's gotten something wrong in a video.:Smile_hiding:

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
42 minutes ago, Yaleling said:

Jingles lied to us then.

Well, he'd be the first to admit that this isn't the first time he's gotten something wrong in a video.

It is not very nice to go around and call people liars.

Lying to people also doesn't sound like Jingles, maybe it was a "tongue in cheek" statement and you didn't catch the irony? That would be more like Jingles.

Edited by PeterMoe1963
typing error

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles
3 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Lying to people also doesn't sound like Jingles, maybe it was a "tongue in cheek" statement and you didn't catch the irony? That would be more than Jingles.

My sarcasm mustn't have come through. Let me rephrase that for you then PeterMoe: Perhaps he was mistaken in his mind. Better?

And no, my irony detector was working then and now. I can't be arsed finding which video from the first few months of WoWS going live. But there was a long explanation on why you should never use the speed boost when trying to break contact in a destroyer, because it increases your detection range. He was likely getting it mixed up with the effect of a fire.

1,125 posts

In the past, Yes speed boost does increase surface detection. Due to increase of smoke coming out of ship (or so they say)

But nowadays it doesn't anymore

Don't know when they patch it though.

Edited by PGM991

411 posts
6,164 battles
Just now, PGM991 said:

In the past, Yes speed boost does increase surface detection.

You mean, in OBT or something like that? Haven't heard of this quirk 

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
15 minutes ago, Yaleling said:

My sarcasm mustn't have come through.

No, didn't. It sounded like you call Jingles a liar. And that is not nice.

Come on man, it's two years ago, maybe *you* misunderstood something, or don't remember properly.

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles
1 minute ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

No, didn't. It sounded like you call Jingles a liar. And that is not nice.

Come on man, it's two years ago, maybe *you* misunderstood something, or don't remember properly.

Nope.

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles
5 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

In the past, Yes speed boost does increase surface detection. Due to increase of smoke coming out of ship (or so they say)

Thanks PGM :)

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
Just now, Yaleling said:

Nope.

Well, fair enough.

But there was now another post by @PGM991 who confirms the increased detection thing.

So maybe a change and not a lie after all?

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles
40 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Well, fair enough.
....snip...

So maybe a change and not a lie after all?

I don't think you fully understand the words "well fair enough". Do you want to try again? Maybe you'll get it on the second go.

Edited by Yaleling
for extra sass

315 posts
4,638 battles

It did increase detection radius. It doesn't now. They changed it -- soon after I started playing iirc, patch 6.5 ish?

1,125 posts

not many people notice it, it very minuted. (but enough for DD to second thought before using boost)

in early game it don't have options like showing ship detection range in mini map or number or anything like these days, you'll have to remember your range in your head and see the difference in actual combat.

Edited by PGM991

273 posts
1,220 battles
3 hours ago, PGM991 said:

not many people notice it, it very minuted. (but enough for DD to second thought before using boost)

in early game it don't have options like showing ship detection range in mini map or number or anything like these days, you'll have to remember your range in your head and see the difference in actual combat.

I think it was 0.2km and just google reddit. There was definitely an increase in detection range but was later removed. Cant recall if it was before or after the revamp of the mini map but it was somewhere during that time.

487 posts
7,619 battles
6 hours ago, Yaleling said:

Jingles lied to us then.

Well, he'd be the first to admit that this isn't the first time he's gotten something wrong in a video.:Smile_hiding:

5 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Lying to people also doesn't sound like Jingles, maybe it was a "tongue in cheek" statement and you didn't catch the irony? That would be more like Jingles.

I watched the exact same video @Yaleling and Jingles clearly said that the speed boost consumable increases your detection range. No way can I remember what exact video it was from. From the confirmation of other players it sounds like it was a mechanic earlier on in the game which has since been removed.

Yes he lied. That by definition makes him a liar. It was not intentional or deliberate with the intent to cause malice or harm to others, but he did lie. He has been around WOWS since the very start and no doubt knows most if not all game mechanics off by heart, but simply missed this particular one being removed. This was simply a mistake and that just makes him human.

"Speed boost consumable increases your detection range........"

"Ahem....... Actually Jingles the speed boost consumable has no impact on detection range anymore"

Sound of shotgun pump :Smile_hiding:

1,340 posts
8,823 battles
1 hour ago, HobartAWD said:

Yes he lied. That by definition makes him a liar. It was not intentional or deliberate with the intent to cause malice or harm to others, but he did lie. He has been around WOWS since the very start and no doubt knows most if not all game mechanics off by heart, but simply missed this particular one being removed. This was simply a mistake and that just makes him human.

That means he got it wrong, not that he lied. There is a difference between the two.

To lie means he had malicious intent to misinform. It means he is being dishnonest.

Unless you are saying Jingles wilfully intended to misinform his viewers, calling him or anybody else a liar just because they got things wrong is pretty uncalled for.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
On 3/18/2018 at 4:03 AM, Thyaliad said:

That means he got it wrong, not that he lied. There is a difference between the two.

Yes, totally agree.

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,520 battles
On 3/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, PGM991 said:

Thanks PGM991! You dragged out an 'old' memory. About a patch before the detection range circles on the mini-map came in, I'd finally mastered the arcane art of remembering my surface detection ranges. And in one game got spotted while definitely out of range when I pressed Y. It was a thing.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:17 PM, Hey_Potato said:

I think it was 0.2km and just google reddit. There was definitely an increase in detection range but was later removed. Cant recall if it was before or after the revamp of the mini map but it was somewhere during that time.

Thanks Hey_Potato. There was definitely a change, and it could have been that small. I'm not sure of the range at all.