You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xplod2064

Republique Secondary or Main Battery Build?

29 comments in this topic

45 posts
3,994 battles

Hello all

So yesterday I acquired the Republique and in which am not sure of what build to go with.

I started with a Secondary Build which tho is fun and satisfying to watch, it leaves my ship exposed a lot and the concealment at like 15km.

Or I go Main battery build and get the 21 sec reload and have concealment and forget about the secondaries?

Personally I want a secondary build, but I want to be able to last and help my team the most and if the main battery build is more efficient and helpful then I will go with that.

Any Suggestions?

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,780 battles

Secondary builds are not very good.  They look like they are doing a lot, and they'll scare off some inexperienced players, but they don't actually achieve much.  Republique is not a brawler, so you really don't want to be going in secondary range until there aren't many things that can shoot you.  If you go for reload mod with a survivability build you'll survive longer and do much more damage while you're at it.  Remember the primary weakness of this ship is it's vulnerability to HE and fires, so you want both fire reduction commander skills, and the fire duration reduction module and flag.

104 posts
9,063 battles

Secondary builds are not viable. Period. 

They're good for memes and "fun", and might piss off some people, but that's just about it. 

154 posts
345 battles

why not take BOTH?? i assume you got 10 commander skill

>> if you not understand the image, check wiki http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades

upgrade : 

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapo main armament for main gun survivability

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageCon obvious

Icon_modernization_PCM005_SecondaryGun_M the secondary upgrade IS MORE WORTH! if you take "Aiming Modification" is not worth, since Republique dispersion isalready bad. -9% wont benefit too much compared to secondary range.

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringG Initial D..... also you got only 2 gun that need more ship manouver.

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM027_Concealme the concealment......

Icon_modernization_PCM015_FireControl_Mo TAKE MAIN BATTERY -16% reload, dont take the secondary upgrade!

commander skill : 

Icon_PreventativeMaintenance_dark.png        up to your choice      Icon_PriorityTarget_dark.png

Icon_AdrenalineRush_dark.png         up to your choice      Icon_ExpertMarksman_dark.png

Icon_Superintendent_dark.png 1  more repair party, burn and HE shell can be repaired more...

Icon_AdvancedFiringTraining_dark.png  your AA range is also increased, now you can rekt everyone,.....

get concealment expert later

tactic :

- at first you go to cap and brawling, intentionally getting fired... make your HP decrease at 25~40%

- get back, enjoy camping with reload less than 20 sec

republique secondary burn chance is monster.... i repeat, BURN CHANCE!!! gg secondary!

i bet republique is like katar.... good at everything but not excel in any of those

- main gun got 431mm that is good pen, BUT not sooo good because crap dispersion

- Secondary is good with very long range and burn chance.... but not soo good because cannt brawl too much

- AA is godly, looong range AA with constant high damage? too bad they got knocked easily.....

- fast and manouverable like cruiser??? sadly too bad concealment.....

so this ship is the ULTIMATE MEDIOCRE! 

Edited by Rwasknum

154 posts
345 battles
8 minutes ago, OtomeprincessTH said:

Secondary builds are not viable. Period. 

They're good for memes and "fun", and might piss off some people, but that's just about it. 

what build are you suggesting then? 

104 posts
9,063 battles
Just now, Rwasknum said:

what build are you suggesting then? 

I would suggest AA/Tank build... which coincidentally consequently buffs secondaries, but I would not suggest going all in on seondaries.

154 posts
345 battles
2 minutes ago, OtomeprincessTH said:

I would suggest AA/Tank build... which coincidentally consequently buffs secondaries, but I would not suggest going all in on seondaries.

can you specify the build? 

the commander skill and upgrade ship bro :V

btw did you mean take AFT and AA range upgrade?

104 posts
9,063 battles
11 minutes ago, Rwasknum said:

can you specify the build? 

the commander skill and upgrade ship bro :V

btw did you mean take AFT and AA range upgrade?

Basically, and maybe either FP or CE. Gonna get the ship first and give it a try without either to see which one bothers me more between HE spam or being spotted. 

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

Oh, I miss the glory earlier days when secondary builds on battleships like Bismarck were actually good. Then DD players and other "not good" players cried foul and then that option was no longer a viable build.

And now we're at a place were despite have a heap of options in the skill selection, only a small selection are actually decent and the rest are for LULZ. And gone is one more bit of "variety" and mostly everyone has to run the same or similar builds to be competitive.

Some players might like this, or even excuse this. The players who know better wish for a skill system and upgrade system that allows multiple viable load outs and captain skills.

Tee

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,780 battles
1 hour ago, Xplod2064 said:

This is my module load out is this fine?

module loadout.png

I'd go with secondary/AA survivability in the first slot, although DCPM1 isn't terrible.  In slot 4 I would definitely take reduced flood and fire over rudder shift - rudder shift mod really doesn't do much when it comes to turn times, it might shave a second or so off the 20-25s it takes to turn 90°, where 15% less fire damage is going to be a major buff to your survivability.

45 posts
3,994 battles
22 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I'd go with secondary/AA survivability in the first slot, although DCPM1 isn't terrible.  In slot 4 I would definitely take reduced flood and fire over rudder shift - rudder shift mod really doesn't do much when it comes to turn times, it might shave a second or so off the 20-25s it takes to turn 90°, where 15% less fire damage is going to be a major buff to your survivability.

Thanks I did change out the rudder shift

154 posts
345 battles
4 hours ago, Xplod2064 said:

This is my module load out is this fine?

module loadout.png

to be honest, ITS BAD.... it so bad....

if you pick aiming sistem, DONT PICK secondary reload decrease. your secondary range is short without upgrade, very useless....

so if you want to focus on main gun, pick main battery less reload time. and if you for aiming sistem upgrade, dont pick AFT.

i dont think republique main gun is as great as RN, IJN or USN counterpart, so i like to make it hybrid secondary like KM BB.

the rudder shift upgrade is depend on choice, i move a lot to dodge shell and torp, soo..... 

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

Secondary builds on SEA server is always suboptimal. You could do it for fun, but not worth investigating so much for 10-15k more average damage that you could do with main guns anyway. Hur gun setup isn't good for brawling anyway. Also you will need IFHE to actually do significant amount of damage with secondary guns.

Better go for survivability build. She gets chewed up by HE spammers. You can't deal damage if you are sunk.

Infact, never go secondary build on anything if you are going for effective builds. But if you are looking for a bit different experience, then by all means, go for it.

1,355 posts
8,888 battles

Why not go both?

Actually I never use the Secondary reload upgrade, I prefer to use the Main Gun reload even on my Secondary build ships. Reason being at the end of the day, my main guns are still my main armament. The bulk of my damage will be coming from them. My Secondary guns are mainly for scaring off DDs and cruisers and starting fires on BBs if they get too close.

411 posts
6,164 battles

Another thing to note though, I read a reddit post quite a while ago that focused on the study of auxiliary battery survivability... in that post, it was mentioned that Henry IV and France(Now  Republique) secondaries and aa mounts have a tendency to get destroyed pretty often...even with auxiliary battery survivability module(Compared to the preceding french ships and in general, to other nations' ships). Can anyone confirm if this is still true? :cap_hmm: 

Unfortunately, I can't find the link right now:fish_book:

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles
41 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Can anyone confirm if this is still true? :cap_hmm: 

Well, you know how it goes, one Conqueror looks at you and all your low-mid caliber gun mounts die...

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
On 3/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Xplod2064 said:

I started with a Secondary Build

I cannot say much about Republique specifically, it will take me a while to get there.

With the higher tier ships, you have a lot more toss-ups, compared to low/mid tier. And what works great for player A may not be optimal for player B.

One thing with secondaries builds is that you may have a fair number of games where you secondaries won't fire a shot. If you say, my secondaries earn me 20k damage every game, well, it looks like you are looking for brawls more than the average player and a secondaries build is right for you.

In the past, I always reached for the secondaries as soon as I could. I find that bit by bit I now rebuild my BB's for mains survivability/concealment builds.

411 posts
6,164 battles
11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, you know how it goes, one Conqueror looks at you and all your low-mid caliber gun mounts die...

And that is why none of my ships are AA or Secondary Build...:Smile_sceptic: It just doesn't seem worth it.  I've lost entire AA suit of my Moskva multiple times to a single Conqueror salvo...Which brings the question, why would someone build for something that loses strength as time passes? 

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles
13 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Another thing to note though, I read a reddit post quite a while ago that focused on the study of auxiliary battery survivability... in that post, it was mentioned that Henry IV and France(Now  Republique) secondaries and aa mounts have a tendency to get destroyed pretty often...even with auxiliary battery survivability module(Compared to the preceding french ships and in general, to other nations' ships). Can anyone confirm if this is still true? :cap_hmm: 

Unfortunately, I can't find the link right now:fish_book:

I run prevent maint and the auxiliary/AA protection module on Alsace. Even with those, after 5-8% damage from HE I can be down to 15/16, 50/67, 120/165 on my secondaries and AA.

By the time I actually encounter aircraft my AA is probably only running at about 40-60% efficiency.

By the time the battle gets to the point where brawling occurs, I am maybe 20-30% secondaries left.

They break so easily, so I would assume the Republique would have a similar issue with her secondaries.

411 posts
6,164 battles
1 minute ago, Pocket_Fox said:

I run prevent maint and the auxiliary/AA protection module on Alsace. Even with those, after 5-8% damage from HE I can be down to 15/16, 50/67, 120/165 on my secondaries and AA.

By the time I actually encounter aircraft my AA is probably only running at about 40-60% efficiency.

By the time the battle gets to the point where brawling occurs, I am maybe 20-30% secondaries left.

They break so easily, so I would assume the Republique would have a similar issue with her secondaries.

Well, the reddit post I was talking about said that the situation is considerably worse in case of Republique...Also, most of the secondaries in Republique are same as Henry IV secondaries which also get destroyed pretty damn quick

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
23 minutes ago, Pocket_Fox said:

But that 40-60% have the addition range/reload, which may compensate for some of the losses.

411 posts
6,164 battles

This image illustrates what I was trying to tell:

x40rlMJ.jpg

As you can see, he had nearly 30% HP and a full heal ready:

W3wvbpU.jpg

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

But that 40-60% have the addition range/reload, which may compensate for some of the losses.

I run AFT as a semi buff to AAA and Secondaries as well as the +5% range -5% dispersion flag and can assure you, Shokaku can delete the Alsace late game with her torp bombers and consider now that Alsace has -44% torpedo damage reduction :o

I might kill most of the planes, but what does it matter when they successfully drop on me. Shokaku may have lost 7+ planes but I get deleted >.<

Running AFT and the flag is about as much as I'd invest into Alsace secondaries. I put the rest into accuracy for the main guns, reload for the main guns etc.

You really wanna engage around the 15+ km zone and not the 9.9km range of my secondaries. I mean, they come in handy, but if I am relying on them, it's gonna be rough :o