You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Tips for my new Moggie

23 comments in this topic

315 posts
4,634 battles

5aa46adf050d9_Screenshot(139).thumb.png.5d83da9688d885f699423dce44c06d1c.png

New boat. I had just logged on to outfit her this morning when @Ordrazz interrupted me with a div invite. Today is (was supposed to be) my "off" day for WoWS, I was just up to buy modules and spec out the captain.

So... as I've been on the 203's since forever and have never tried IFHE before, I'm running the kiteing build: 155, IFHE, +  steering gears mods 1,2,3.

Thoughts/hints before I go out and embarrass myself? (Take your time, I'll be putting around in Coop for a bit first before helping your team lose in Random. :fish_aqua:)

Edited by Rina_Pon

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

Make sure you run concealment, Mogami is where IJN CA concealment starts getting very good.

155s are good as you said, with IFHE. Personally I went with the 203s because I didn't want to respec.

I found her to be horrible and I know she isn't. I kept thinking 'if I had Myoko, this would have gone better'.

Goodluck and I hope you enjoy her, Zao is definitely worth the Mogami/Ibuki grind.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Moggie? Ew... that's the weirdest way someone ever called the ship... Ewwww

Anyway your build looks solid. All you need is to stay alive in battle. Make sure you are facing away from enemy before you get detected or open fire. Rudder shift with RSM 3 is fine, but it doesn't reduce your turning radius, or make you turn faster. Just determines when you start the full turn. A BB looking at you will ruin your day if he catches you turning away after getting spotted.

When poking battleships, take a good note about where their turrets are facing. And yes, focus DDs if they are in 10 km from you. Mogami 155 is a DD killer. A T8 atlanta that can actually hit DDs.

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

Islands are your waifu, don't be scared to stealth out and reposition.

Learn how to ninja-knife, even 155s are monsters at 11km with AP.

Would offer more advice but Mogami is one of my few negative WR ships...

315 posts
4,634 battles
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Anyway your build looks solid. All you need is to stay alive in battle. Make sure you are facing away from enemy before you get detected or open fire. Rudder shift with RSM 3 is fine, but it doesn't reduce your turning radius, or make you turn faster. Just determines when you start the full turn. A BB looking at you will ruin your day if he catches you turning away after getting spotted.

When poking battleships, take a good note about where their turrets are facing. And yes, focus DDs if they are in 10 km from you. Mogami 155 is a DD killer. A T8 atlanta that can actually hit DDs.

Advice checks out. :cap_hmm:

'specially the bit about the rudder shift / turning circle, which deserves to be double-underlined: near-instant response to change direction does not make the ship any faster to turn around. Tenryu-like rudder shift on a ship so big is pretty cool though. And Mogami is pretty fast in a straight line.

15 shells x 6 volleys per minute can make life unpleasant for DDs. Shock and awe. I'm still retraining so no IFHE yet. Definitely noticed the "155mm HE brick wall" : on well-armored high-tier ships the shells just stop penetrating... hopefully IFHE should fix that.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will wear my lifejacket. In Mogami, early and dramatic exits (BB related) are indeed frequent.

So ... what is wrong with Moggie? Is it not meaning "cat" in English?

aks8u6t6rue01.thumb.jpg.538e057f1d71ae64f5b3a2f96fb4b75f.jpg

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
7 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

idk.

Anyway, for any successful cruiser play, you need to find the pockets of spaces where the Battleships wont tend to look, or at an weird angle where he will chose not to turn his guns. Also, play with your accelerations, you can dodge a lot of salvos. One very important advice, always scan the horizons for bright white shells coming your way, and NEVER counteract the action you were doing when you see the shells coming. What this means is, if you see shells coming your way and you were turning in, do not instantly try to turn away, this locks your rudder and you kinda tend to sail straight for a bit more than usual. Same for turning away. Better slow down, and either release the action of complete it. Do not counteract.

And another thing, always keep enemy right outside of your concealment range, so when things get messy, you can stop shooting and disengage safely. Since you dont have Concealment module in favor of RSM3, you tend to play a bit more passive.

Don't forget to check armor profile of BBs you face, and make a list in your mind of most favorable targets to least favorable ones.

993 posts
7,415 battles
14 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

A “moggy” is a non-pedigree cat. I think that’s UK English.

I thought young people would call her “Mogs” or “Mogsta” or something “cool” like that.

315 posts
4,634 battles

@icy_phoenix

I tend to hammer "w" when under fire. It's wrong I know ... but the instinct to flee as fast as possible is hard to fight.

I'd noticed that incoming shells seem to "rubber band" to wherever I go,  regardless of whether I continue to turn or bail out of it. I don't think WG is cheating here .. it's just the way a ship's center stays put for a while when the rudder shifts and the bow swings around. Hitting the brakes OTOH should be much more effective. Thanks for the tip.

@PeterMoe1963

Yes, it's a UK thing. I read some people call Mogami "Mogamin" but I don't understand the reference ... it's probably Kancolle ... "Moggy" or "Moggie" seems a better nickname to me. 

Edited by Rina_Pon

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

I remembered something, more for IJN 203s though.

Have 1 enemy BB in range/angle, wait till he fires and the shoot him then stealth again. You will stealth before he's reloaded. Use this in combination with the turret stuff mentioned and you should be good.

Sometimes I even go 2 salvos ;-)

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles
44 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

best advice when in tier 10 battle

hit anything at max range but DD

Or you know, learn how to position with concealment...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
32 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Or you know, learn how to position with concealment...

i mean, the main reason of that is Mogami's max range is basically any tier 9-10 cruiser and battleship medium range

Edited by Harpoon01

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles
18 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

i mean, the main reason of that is Mogami's max range is basically any tier 9-10 cruiser and battleship medium range

Oh yeah definitely, just might want to clarify that in your post, the last thing we need is more fools camp-shooting at 20km...

16 posts
8,937 battles

The thing i hate with Mogami is the X Y turrets, they could turn slightly forward but WG said no.

I do believe X turret could turn 360 even, if that hand rail is not in the way.

So, at the time your Mogami could use her 5 turrets, it just indicate your opponent could citadel you at the same time.

Immediately turn after firing.

Especially against USN cruisers, an immediate turn after firing may not enough. Don't be too greedy when you're against them.

Edit :

Pensacola maybe turn faster than Mogami despite she has 2s late rudder.

She has smaller turn radius, but more importantly, i think she has better acceleration or less drag.

Mogami lost a big chunk of speed when turning.

Against russian DD (and Pan Asian Fushun) 130mm is more capable to citadel Mogami when you allow them to get closer than 8km.

Also, their AP, and Akizuki's AP has enough power to knock down, even to destroy your turret.

So if you plan to reveal your citadel to them (using 5 turrets), be sure you have some distance.

Mogamis with 155mm IFHE configuration seems powerful on paper, but is practically weak.

Edited by Brunswickz

1,479 posts
9 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Oh yeah definitely, just might want to clarify that in your post, the last thing we need is more fools camp-shooting at 20km...

They do that anyway, because "might get muh paint scratched"

Ordrazz

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
8 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

get scratched by 16" shells in a fragile ship is not a funny business  :Smile_bajan2:

1,479 posts
6 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

get scratched by 16" shells in a fragile ship is not a funny business  :Smile_bajan2:

Really?? You don't say...... I'm glad you've enlightened me.....

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
Just now, Ordrazz said:

Really?? You don't say...... I'm glad you've enlightened me.....

you are welcome Captain BaBBie