You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
icy_phoenix

Achievements rewarding better plays, not just damage focussed

24 comments in this topic

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

This has been discussed many times already that game doesn't reward teamplay elements in a recognizable way, most of the achievements are strongly tied to damage dealt. Flamu has summarized these points in one video, which is quite interesting.

Whether you think these achievements are important or not, they are huge moral boosters during the game. But Most of these reward selfish play. There is no recognition for capping, defending certain amount of cap points, potential damage tanking, spotting damage, traveled distance etc. Also achievements like Dreadnought, Fireproof, Unsinkable should not require you to survive the whole battle. You often do so much and dont get any recognition cause you die in the process.

Also, there are only one achievement for plane kills, which is Clear Sky. Look at damage ones, you have confederate, and then you have high calibers. There could be more than one plane kill achievements.

As for ribbons, one of the most frustrating one, as people say, KS or kill stealing. In the end score screen, people can see you with 8 kills, but they cannot tell how much you actually contributed. There should be separate ribbons (and possibly achievements like Kraken) for kill assists, where you did significant (may be 80%) of target's damage. This way, you get the recognition you deserve. Another thing is, I dont see why detonation should give devastating strike to the shooter.

Hope these to be considered by WG in near future.

1,354 posts
8,888 battles

Great video.

While achievements are good, imo the more important issue is the ribbon system.

Currently there is no ribbon in place for doing spotting damage, kill assists, halting the cap, etc. So there is no feedback to the player that they are actually doing something useful. Stats like tanking and spotting damage are only revealed after the match ends, which is far too late.

There needs to be a real-time positive feedback loop. For example, player spots an enemy -> friendly shoots the enemy -> the player gets a ribbon for spotting damage -> player sees he is rewarded  -> player continues to spot  and process repeats.

This can be applied to other aspects like capping and smoking allies. He could get ribbons for contesting a cap and halting the flow of enemy victory points. Concealing allies with smoke could get a ribbon as well, AW has this implemented. 

Also WoT has a far superior ribbon system imo, WoWs could learn a thing or two there.

Edited by Thyaliad

1,105 posts

new achievement :

- ocean drifter : took 1800K potential damage and still alive >> Speed Flag+repair flag, 5 each

- yolo guy : successfully cap 3 times >> free XP flag, XP flag, 5 each

- ultimate camper : receive no damage, but get atleast 1 other achievement.......except for CV >> secondary flag, repair flag, 1 each

- Susanoo : sink 12 ship and dealt min 30% damage to each ship

- KS god : sink 12 ship but not getting Susanoo

new ribbon :

- DD still alive after detected by radar or hydro

- spot damage:

1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

There needs to be a real-time positive feedback loop. For example, player is spots an enemy -> friendly shoots the enemy -> the player gets a ribbon for spotting damage -> player sees he is rewarded  -> player continues to spot  and process repeats.

this very nice idea

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

Yeah. I just playing DD and spotting behind enemy lines so my team can have a target to shoot, or decide the best movement, especially from enemy that hidden behind an Island.
I'm not daring to shoot or closing for better torpedo accuracy (with Fubuki in this case). My priority is to keep enemy getting exposed.
When match end, sad that I'm in the bottom 3, as only able to land a few hits, plus 2 torpedoes hits, but no kill. Team play good, but my effort is unheard.

Then in the next match, my focus is landing maximum damage and more hidden position instead stay in open sea, to hell with spotting.
I'm able to get in top 5 from many matches. But the WR are bad, since teammate BB and CA less efficient as often losing target.

1,126 posts

well, I don't know about this

there's a match in my Fushun, I only deal 4k damage, really 4k

i only lead the pushing flank, smoke my team and keep enemy spot... only just that, my gun can't reach them let alone my torp never catching up retreat enemy

yet... I end up 2nd in team

wonder why...

(it's from before 7.2 release so replay is unplayable now)

but I do agree on that there's should be Achievement for playing support role and deal few damage

e.g.

if damage upon spotting reach certain point will get 'tactical spotter'

something like that

oh and I really want WG to implement 'torpedo beat' ribbon 

if enemy torpedo pass within 5 meter from you ship you'll get 1 ribbon.

got 10 torp beat ribbon get achievement 'dance with torpedo' 

Edited by PGM991

354 posts
9,048 battles

I saw this video the other day and, as others have indicated, agree that a few more achievement ribbons for other aspects of play would be nice - and probably easy to implement.

However, as far as encouraging better teamplay goes, isn't it largely the fault of the stats sites that damage is the biggest carrot for most players. They seem to use a formula that only factors in damage, kills and, to a lesser extent, winrate. If they just dropped their wtr/pr/etc rating or modified it to include some of the other performance vectors that are probably available, people would not need to be so focused on getting damage to enhance their rating.

PS The game was much more enjoyable before I stumbled on the stats sites.

Edited by Moldavia

319 posts
6,891 battles

A tick counter for Spotting would be nice.

Base it on a solo spotting and earn 1 ribbon per 30 seconds for all ships detected within your range. If 2 DD's are detecting the same ships then base it on 1 ribbon per minute. Keep reducing the number of ribbon based on how many DD's are spotting the same object, and that will give incentive for DD's to actually spread out a little which in turn lights up more targets for others to kill. If a target is killed whilst being spotted - give the DD a Tactical Spotting bonus. If the DD kills the target themselves then they just get the Spotter, Damage and Kill ribbon.

353 posts
7,097 battles

I was thinking about this the other day. 500fxp per solo cap and 250fxp for assist in cap would help. Might encourage guys to support DD's and push the caps themselves instead of waiting for DD to spot targets.

283 posts
3,591 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

I was thinking about this the other day. 500fxp per solo cap and 250fxp for assist in cap would help. Might encourage guys to support DD's and push the caps themselves instead of waiting for DD to spot targets.

This is great idea but I think the assist should only be if you contribute to over 25% of the capping because someone might just hop in one of those pre-game caps there for the sake of getting the fxp. Hoping for extra xp (that is noted in the after game shots) that rewards you for spotting ships; e.g. if you spot a dd you get 500fxp, ca/cl is 150fxp, bb is 100fxp and cv is 100fxp. I don't know about you but I think we need a ribbon that rewards a player for damage absorbed by their smoke screen, for every 1000 dmg to land in your smoke screen you get 50fxp? maybe that is too complicated for a F2P game but just some suggestions because by rewarding the player base with free xp it will encourage them to participate in the capping and smoking in the right place at the right time so as to help the team fulfill the objectives

Here's 2 cents for the dev's in the matrix, Ello

66 posts
11,551 battles

If you think WG would actually give this suggestion even a thought, you are being naive =P

They continually like to break things which are fine and implement useless stuff instead of fixing the important issues at hand.
We can continue more discussion at Discord cause devs always hate to see critics shooting them lol

1,069 posts
3,847 battles
1 hour ago, Jehuty_v2 said:

We can continue more discussion at Discord cause devs always hate to see critics shooting them lol

I dunno,they keep sending me surveys which I hammer them in,maybe they get a kick out of it?!  ( The one that I filled out after the Chinese fiasco was a doozy! )

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
8 hours ago, Jehuty_v2 said:

If you think WG would actually give this suggestion even a thought, you are being naive =P

They continually like to break things which are fine and implement useless stuff instead of fixing the important issues at hand.

nah, not really it is not as bad as Warthunder regarding the damn grind

220 posts
11,643 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, icy_phoenix said:

This has been discussed many times already that game doesn't reward teamplay elements in a recognizable way, most of the achievements are strongly tied to damage dealt. Flamu has summarized these points in one video, which is quite interesting.

Whether you think these achievements are important or not, they are huge moral boosters during the game. But Most of these reward selfish play. There is no recognition for capping, defending certain amount of cap points, potential damage tanking, spotting damage, traveled distance etc. Also achievements like Dreadnought, Fireproof, Unsinkable should not require you to survive the whole battle. You often do so much and dont get any recognition cause you die in the process.

Also, there are only one achievement for plane kills, which is Clear Sky. Look at damage ones, you have confederate, and then you have high calibers. There could be more than one plane kill achievements.

As for ribbons, one of the most frustrating one, as people say, KS or kill stealing. In the end score screen, people can see you with 8 kills, but they cannot tell how much you actually contributed. There should be separate ribbons (and possibly achievements like Kraken) for kill assists, where you did significant (may be 80%) of target's damage. This way, you get the recognition you deserve. Another thing is, I dont see why detonation should give devastating strike to the shooter.

Hope these to be considered by WG in near future.

Agreed. It's a good positive reinforcement which is important as a form of tutorial. its 2018 and separate tutorials aren't meta in any games anymore. It doesn't need fxp rewards that would be too much imo.

1,028 posts
7,503 battles
On 3/12/2018 at 4:26 PM, Lowyat said:

its 2018 and separate tutorials aren't meta in any games anymore

Rewards reward you when you play well.

Rewards don't tell you how to play well.

Tutorials do.

Your logic is flawed.

220 posts
11,643 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Rewards reward you when you play well.

Rewards don't tell you how to play well.

Tutorials do.

Your logic is flawed.

I'll agree to disagree. You can have a look at streamers play and tell me whether they play tutorials outside of the game when they started. I have not seen any and neither does a common player who bought their favorite premium ship and play with it directly facing T10 battles with 0 matches. It's not logic, just instinctual intuition at work over traditional methods.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
7 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

IMO before anything else, WG should allow purchasing combat efficiency signals with credits.

nah, i prefer it  event and achievement related

it also prevent an argument about flags being pay2win like gold ammo, even when the said ammo can be bought by silver as well, the cost is too much for free player to use frequently 

1,105 posts
20 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

nah, i prefer it  event and achievement related

it also prevent an argument about flags being pay2win like gold ammo, even when the said ammo can be bought by silver as well, the cost is too much for free player to use frequently 

some flag should be buy able : >> deto flag and AA flag

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
2 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

some flag should be buy able : >> deto flag and AA flag

and there will be no more Drakonation

[DIY]
65 posts
5,423 battles

Strategic Defense: Deny 200 points from a point. Rewards: November Juliet +10% smoke radius

Damage Control Denial: Cause Flooding or Fire to an enemy ship and have enemy use Damage Control Party within 20 seconds and enemy must be sunk before have his Damage Control Reload again. Rewards: Alpha India Fire and Flooding last 10% longer +5% risk of detonation

Searchlight: Get scouting damage over 20 percent of enemy total HP pool Rewards: Charlie Kilo +15% torpedo acquisition range

Sharkbait: Potential damage must exceed 100k and over 300 percent of maximum ships health. Rewards: Delta Yankee +2% dispersion of enemy firing at your ship

Cooperation: Miss a salvo of torpedo but that particular enemy ships suffer atleast 30 percent of his/her maximum HP by friendly attack. Rewards: Mike Delta +5% torpedo range -3kts torpedo speed.

Overall, Yes we need new achievements especially one not associate with damage directly. Ribbons are optional but might be handy as decorations I want a medal with people names though like Yamamoto badge and have Akagi as ribbon.