Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShiraYukira

Smoke?

35 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
505 posts
4,176 battles

Okay so i am detected by this Gaede.... in a smoke and he is shooting at me constantly i can't see him and when i see him its 2km thats when the smoke died down can someone explained im really noob with concealment so im not sure what is going on
also it isn't hydro

Edited by ShiraYukira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
273 posts
1,220 battles

If its not hydro then it should be some other ships that has better concealment than you perhaps another dd or CA/planes. Unless you have a picture or something, it is difficult for others to analyze. Were you shooting at that point in time?

A picture says a thousand words

Edited by Hey_Potato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SGC]
Member
197 posts
10,285 battles

We'll need more details so we can make a better explanation.

1. What ship were you using?

2. What ships were around you during the engagement?

3. Were you also shooting your guns during that time?

 

Based on your initial description of the situation, you were probably being spotted by another ship; could be another destroyer, planes, or at some point you fired your guns, hence you were detected. The Gaede used this opportunity to shoot you while  he was in smoke.

2 km is the assured acquisition range, meaning no matter how concealed you are (whether in smoke or behind island cover) you will be detected so long as an enemy ship is 2 km away. If you were 2km away from the Gaede when his smokescreen dissipated, then I suppose the timing is just pure coincidence, since German smokescreens don't last that long anyway.

Edited by seiji09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
505 posts
4,176 battles

im on Aigle , there is this Algerie just outside of my detection range about 500meters
i wasnt firing i was rushing the gaede who is in the smoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
411 posts
6,164 battles
45 minutes ago, ShiraYukira said:

Okay so i am detected by this Gaede.... in a smoke and he is shooting at me constantly i can't see him and when i see him its 2km thats when the smoke died down can someone explained im really noob with concealment so im not sure what is going on
also it isn't hydro

Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment and was 3km from you and proxy spotted you....

I think You just got Out-Potatoed... :Smile_trollface: :cap_haloween:

Edited by _TAMAL_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,354 posts
8,888 battles
7 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment and was 3km from you and proxy spotted you....

I think You just got Out-Potatoed... :Smile_trollface: :cap_haloween:

Reminds me of that Flamu video where he was killed by an Atago that took Target Acquisition instead of Concealment. Even unicums can be out-potatoed! :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Thyaliad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
411 posts
6,164 battles
3 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Reminds me of that Flamu video where he was killed by an Atago that took Target Acquisition instead of Concealment. Even unicums can be out-potatoed! :Smile_veryhappy:

Happened to me also recently when I was grinding Chung Mu; In a match I saw a shima with poor concealment and thought to myself, "This is a scrub, Commencing High Tier Seal Clubbing" and decided to follow it. It went into concealment and then gradually behind an island as It showed in Radio Location...and then, when I came close to that island, I got spotted by his Target Acquisition...:Smile_amazed:and to add more salt to the situation, there was a Mino nearby in smoke...:Smile_sceptic:Result: I got sealclubbed instead!:Smile_facepalm: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,126 posts

there's a confusion in spotting icon, there's only 1 slot to be shown.

 

if you got spot by radar and also in surface detection and enemy sonar pop up as well and hell someone within proximity spotting as well

all will be replace with only standard 'detected' icon

and you'll never know which method is spotting you right now

Edited by PGM991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Just saying, if you smoke up 4-5 km from me, I can keep shooting you without seeing you unless you move a lot. Infact many players can do that from even further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
17 hours ago, ShiraYukira said:

im on Aigle , there is this Algerie just outside of my detection range about 500meters
i wasnt firing i was rushing the gaede who is in the smoke

What is your detection range?

How many seconds since the last time you fire your gun?

There is some ships that have better concealment than yours?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
273 posts
1,220 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, _TAMAL_ said:

Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment and was 3km from you and proxy spotted you....

I think You just got Out-Potatoed... :Smile_trollface: :cap_haloween:

15 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

when I came close to that island, I got spotted by his Target Acquisition

I believe target acquisition mod +20% spotting range has nothing to do with detecting enemy dd earlier. You still would not detect a dd if it is not within the ship detection range even if you have the target acquisition mod. Most likely the mino was running radar/hydro

Edited by Hey_Potato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
411 posts
6,164 battles
20 minutes ago, Hey_Potato said:

I believe target acquisition mod +20% spotting range has nothing to do with detecting enemy dd earlier. You still would not detect a dd if it is not within the ship detection range even if you have the target acquisition mod. Most likely the mino was running radar/hydro

Please read the description clearly... it says "Increases Assured Acquisition Range by 50%" meaning, you'll be able to spot any target at any circumstances at the range of 3km(instead of standard 2km). Also, the detected icon for Hydro/Radar is different than the standard "detected by ship Icon"...ALSO, a mino sitting in its own smoke spamming BBs at least 6-7 km away can't detect me by Hydro(no range)/Radar(He has smoke)

Quote from wiki regarding Assured Acquisition: The spotting mechanics ignore line-of-sight obstacles — such as islands — when within 2 km (3 km with this upgrade) from an enemy. That's the "assured acquisition" range. Stacks with Vigilance when spotting torpedoes.

I hope you understand :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by _TAMAL_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
273 posts
1,220 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, _TAMAL_ said:

Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment and was 3km from you and proxy spotted you....

I think You just got Out-Potatoed... :Smile_trollface: :cap_haloween:

Unless there was T8 dd sitting in the smoke somewhere else which clearly the OP said there was only the Gaede so the 3km assured acquisition range with TA mod is irrelevant.

You are confusing the OP by your statement "Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment" which was implying that he was spotted by another the t8 enemy dd using TA mod 3km from OP which was clearly not sitting in the smoke with that Gaede.

This in turn might confuse the OP into thinking that he was spotted 20% earlier by the enemy T8 dd because it was using TA mod out there. Thus Implying to OP that the TA mod helps that enemy t8 enemy dd to detect him 20% earlier.

 

33 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Please read the description clearly... it says "Increases Assured Acquisition Range by 20%" meaning, you'll be able to spot any target at any circumstances at the range of 3km(instead of standard 2km).

FYI....the TA mod 1 says...Increases maximum acquisition range.....

+50% to the range of of assured acquisition of enemy ship = assured acquistion 2km * 1.5 = 3km

+20% to spotting range...this was the one I was afraid will confuse the OP because of your statement

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
226
[1NATN]
[1NATN]
Member
409 posts
15,035 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 2:51 PM, ShiraYukira said:

im on Aigle , there is this Algerie just outside of my detection range about 500meters
i wasnt firing i was rushing the gaede who is in the smoke

Aigle can be detected whilst firing in smoke from 3.1km. It's less for the Gaede.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
411 posts
6,164 battles
2 minutes ago, Hey_Potato said:

Unless there was T8 dd sitting in the smoke somewhere else which clearly the OP said there was only the Gaede so the 3km assured acquisition range with TA mod is irrelevant.

You are confusing the OP by your statement "Maybe there was a Potato T8 dd that had Target Acquisition instead of Concealment" which was implying that he was spotted by another the t8 enemy dd using TA mod 3km from OP which was clearly not sitting in the smoke with that Gaede.

This in turn might confuse the OP into thinking that he was spotted 20% earlier by the enemy T8 dd because it was using TA mod out there. Thus Implying to OP that the TA mod helps that enemy t8 enemy dd to detect him 20% earlier.

 

FYI....the TA mod 1 says...Increases maximum acquisition range.....

+50% to the range of of assured acquisition of enemy ship = assured acquistion 2km * 1.5 = 3km

+20% to spotting range...this was the one I was afraid will confuse the OP because of your statement

 

 

There is no reason to be confused...there is enough info in game and in the wiki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,028 posts
7,503 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 4:44 PM, ShiraYukira said:

detected by this Gaede

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

 

This may help.

 

I still get puzzled sometimes by spotting mechanics. There may be ships involved that you or your team do not spot, which can make it tricky.

 

Are you sure you were detected? Or do you think you were detected, because shells hit you?

 

Maybe he had spotted you at one stage and scored a hit. With that, and adjusting his aim carefully, he could have “tracked you” with his guns without actually spotting you. As you were charging his smoke, he knew where you were going. So if he missed, there would have been a small arc for him to try again.

 

Sometimes happens that you sit in smoke and you are hit repeatedly. That usually mean the other ship/s use techniques like that = they use the hits as feedback and carefully adjust their aim.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,222 posts
13,737 battles

As long as you are in Agile expect to be spotted. It has one of the worst (if not the worst) detection ranges for a dd in it's matches.

 

Smoke blocks concealment. To have been spotted early by the Gaede would require hydro (target acquisition not available at T6). More likely you were spotted by another dd who was close by.

 

Any decent dd pair know that if one is in smoke the other holds fire and spots while the one in smoke fires. This way you can keep constant fire on the enemy without detection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,028 posts
7,503 battles
2 hours ago, keskparane said:

As long as you are in Agile expect to be spotted. It has one of the worst (if not the worst) detection ranges for a dd in it's matches.

6.8km, with camo and CE.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,222 posts
13,737 battles
39 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

6.8km, with camo and CE.

 

But everyone has the possibility of running camo and ce, and tier 8 can even add detection mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,028 posts
7,503 battles
5 minutes ago, keskparane said:

But everyone has the possibility of running camo and ce, and tier 8 can even add detection mod.

Concealment modification?

All I wanted to say is that 6.8km is as good as it gets for Aigle, and that's not very good.

From memory, some DD's are as low as 5.5km, a full 1.3km less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
411 posts
6,164 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Concealment modification?

All I wanted to say is that 6.8km is as good as it gets for Aigle, and that's not very good.

From memory, some DD's are as low as 5.5km, a full 1.3km less.

 

Valid point...6.8 km is notoriously bad concealment for a dd...He definitely got spotted by another dd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,222 posts
13,737 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Concealment modification?

All I wanted to say is that 6.8km is as good as it gets for Aigle, and that's not very good.

From memory, some DD's are as low as 5.5km, a full 1.3km less.

 

Well perhaps you could state your position in future? That would help me to understand the context of your response. When you repeat back to me information that I already know I will most often assume you have taken a contrary position, that you are questioning me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,028 posts
7,503 battles
15 hours ago, keskparane said:

Well perhaps you could state your position in future? That would help me to understand the context of your response. When you repeat back to me information that I already know I will most often assume you have taken a contrary position, that you are questioning me.

Well, I try to keep that in mind.

My general advice would be to not interpret too much into short online posts, and in doubt, ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,222 posts
13,737 battles
3 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

......

My general advice would be to not interpret too much into short online posts .....

Yeah sorry about that. Just trying to keep up with the times. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×