You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
duntroon

Full Use of Multi Core Processors

10 comments in this topic

33 posts

Is there any updated news on the old complaint about the foot-dragging that has been occurring in modernising  this game which continues to be incapable of  utilising/running on more than one CPU core?  Multi core processors are now an industry  standard and have been such for many years past. 

I am now upgrading to an Intel 8th generation CPU with 6-core processors and a Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 video card. To my horror, it seems that increasing the number of cores might actually be detrimental to the game play if this dilutes the power of each individual core!

If my understanding is correct, this game only utilises 1 core (and perhaps a little of another), meaning that 5 of the 6 cores in my new configuration will be of little value to the optimisation of this game. Further, the single core bottleneck to potential performance improvement means that a newer generation of video card will  not improve the quality of the game graphics to the degree which it otherwise could. 

The excuse used by the developers  in deferring action to re-engineer the game, to reflect current day standards of technology, is that our more "backward" and less resourced friends (e.g. from backward East European economies) are stuck with obsolescent gaming equipment and that such lagging populations make up a significant percentage of those who play this game. This reasoning might  have had some basis 10 or 20 years ago.  In this modern age, such reasoning seems very condescending and disingenuous. The Russian and Chinese economies, in particular,  have been booming, hence many indigenous Hongkongers are now poorer than many of the tourists who flood in from the Mainland.

Surely, in this modern Age, the moment has come when we have reached and surpassed the tipping point when a majority of gamers will become frustrated at being restricted to operating on the lowest common denominator. The World is not stuck in an historical  time warp and the numbers of those who are unable or unwilling to upgrade their gaming equipment to something resembling modern standards are rapidly diminishing in proportion to those who treasure their gaming sufficiently to obtain a modern standard of  gaming experience. Come on World of Warships, move into the 21st Century!!!  

590 posts
2,995 battles

Well considering that they have only released the encore engine for World of Tanks (being that it's not publicly available) It does use multi core (2) so I would assume at some point, in the future, it would be pulled in to world of warships.

33 posts

That sounds like good news, tc1259.

Perhaps we can hear from the developers with regard to what plans may exist for this to happen anytime soon.

590 posts
2,995 battles
3 minutes ago, duntroon said:

That sounds like good news, tc1259.

Perhaps we can hear from the developers with regard to what plans may exist for this to happen anytime soon.

It would be unlikely that you hear anything just yet - all things considered. 

https://wotencore.net/

33 posts

tc1259, it occurs to me that W of Tanks is a less demanding game than W of Warships insofar as the capabilities of the gaming equipment is concerned. If this is correct, I wonder why the focus of improvement is upon the less complex game which stands to benefit the least?

590 posts
2,995 battles
1 hour ago, duntroon said:

tc1259, it occurs to me that W of Tanks is a less demanding game than W of Warships insofar as the capabilities of the gaming equipment is concerned. If this is correct, I wonder why the focus of improvement is upon the less complex game which stands to benefit the least?

I get that - I wish I did have an answer for you, but in terms of how i actually feel.... well word's just can't describe it so here is a gif

Oh and don't get me wrong, i would love to see a new engine, but right now - Lets focus on finishing a number of the lines

giphy.gif

590 posts
2,995 battles

Basically all I'm saying right now is this - things will come when they come, lets get more ships, fix some of the broken things in the game including the UI, Clan Battles and a heap of other things before we focus on the game engine. 

590 posts
2,995 battles
7 minutes ago, duntroon said:

Abject apologies. My laughing face icons came out as question marks!

all good :P