You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

How to use Radio Location

11 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,615 battles

hai ,

So finally I managed to unlock radio location skill at tier 7 IJN DD Akatsuki . So what now . Can you tell me how do I make its best use ? It shows me arrow . But I have no idea what is going on . A video tutorial could be of great help . Also with 14 skill captain do you think it is okay fto upgrade to tier 8 kagero ?

Thank you

[1NATN]
286 posts
5,237 battles

As a general rule, if you want to understand how XYZ in this game works, just google "XYZ Flamu" and you'll get a good answer.

Edited by Webba84

1,105 posts

RDF MASTER RACE! [CV cannt use RDF btw]

most people really understimate the use of RDF..... they said map awareness is enough.... there is more usefull skill.....blah blah blah

the real problem is, not everyone know how to use RDF properly.....

too bad, i cannt give advice about RDF in DD because i am using it in French CA. they have different use and purpose.

315 posts
4,638 battles

To my mind the issue is not the utility of RDF per se., but the relative utility vs. concealment expert or, alternatively, fireproof or manual AA.

[ATLAS]
12 posts
11,098 battles

well it show the nearest location of enemy. Up to you want to run from it :cap_fainting:, or gun it down :cap_rambo: ( tho its not recommended in ijn dd ).

If you have divmates that also take RPF, triangulate it to know exact enemy position.

Edited by 0utsider

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

@ROFLSaurusRex, you can do many creative things with it.

Example case 1: You can use your RL indicator to roughly gauge the distance of nearest ship. For example, you see Ship A spotted at 10 km and your RL is pointing in general direction of Ship A. Then you can take a better guess that there may not be any ship within 10 km or lower. However, a good map observation is required.

Example case 2: Avoiding a predator. You can See what can kill you from MM list, and then when you are pushing on a cap, you can take preventive measures earlier avoiding disaster. Also, RL is a good indicator for incoming torpedoes. So that you don't sit broadside. And if you are RL located as well, do not sit still, the square you sitting on will see a lot of incoming torps.

Example case 3: Preemptive torping. You can guess the entry point and general direction of enemy DD in a cap and thus drop preemptive torps. With practice and good guess, you will land a lot of torps on unsuspecting DDs. My last week of fletcher games, got 5 devstrike out of 12 games just by RL torping.

Example case 4: Confuse enemy. If you are RL spotted, you can give enemy false indication and headache. Double edge sword though. If enemy doesnt have RL, you can troll their DD since he will be worried while you wont be. You can use this to your advantage picking up your moment to engage.

Example case 5: When there are 1-2 ships left that you cant see, you will know where they are. So that you don't run around making wild guesses and waste time.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

@ROFLSaurusRex, you can do many creative things with it.

Example case 1: You can use your RL indicator to roughly gauge the distance of nearest ship. For example, you see Ship A spotted at 10 km and your RL is pointing in general direction of Ship A. Then you can take a better guess that there may not be any ship within 10 km or lower. However, a good map observation is required.

Example case 2: Avoiding a predator. You can See what can kill you from MM list, and then when you are pushing on a cap, you can take preventive measures earlier avoiding disaster. Also, RL is a good indicator for incoming torpedoes. So that you don't sit broadside. And if you are RL located as well, do not sit still, the square you sitting on will see a lot of incoming torps.

Example case 3: Preemptive torping. You can guess the entry point and general direction of enemy DD in a cap and thus drop preemptive torps. With practice and good guess, you will land a lot of torps on unsuspecting DDs. My last week of fletcher games, got 5 devstrike out of 12 games just by RL torping.

Example case 4: Confuse enemy. If you are RL spotted, you can give enemy false indication and headache. Double edge sword though. If enemy doesnt have RL, you can troll their DD since he will be worried while you wont be. You can use this to your advantage picking up your moment to engage.

Example case 5: When there are 1-2 ships left that you cant see, you will know where they are. So that you don't run around making wild guesses and waste time.

it also shows you the exact position of enemy inside smoke whether he move or not, inside the smoke or not,

1,011 posts
7,430 battles

Loads of guides exist: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+of+warships+rdf

14 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

To my mind the issue is not the utility of RDF per se., but the relative utility vs. concealment expert or, alternatively, fireproof or manual AA.

Yes, that’s always something to weigh up.

I tried RDF once or twice with a 10 pt captain, instead of CE, and I found that just doesn’t work very well.

Even with a 14 pt captain, we have to weight up the usefulness of RDF against the same 4 pts used elsewhere.

RDF can be quite handy to fire torps into smoke, definitely increases the chance to hit something. Can also be handy to avoid ambushes by DD’s, or hunt down other DD’s towards the mid/end of the game.

After all, it’s “just direction to the nearest enemy ship.” Especially early on it tells you very little. At the beginning of a battle, it is likely to point at the enemy DD that is charging a cap, but you don’t know from RDF if he is alone or if half the team is with him.

After ships have been sighted, it’s easier to make sense of the RDF pointer… but then you may as well work from the mini-map and use of the old brain.

When it was introduced, some people thought it would “break the game”, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. You don’t see it all that often.