Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Menevilence

ATAGO inigma

46 comments in this topic

16 posts
9,242 battles

Atago owners have been duped and I'll wager over 95% of Atago owners have regrated bying the so called pride of the Japanese Fleet and supposedly the  best cruiser money can buy, man did we get shafted or WHAT! 

I've only been playing since October 2016 because I've just under gone a liver transplant and had a lot of time on my hands. So you can imagine what went through my mind when the powers that be were promoting the ATAGO, all properganda on the ship was telling me that it was the best thing since sliced bread. I couldn't wait to buy it. I had to save up and when I bought it, I was so excited and happy that I finally had a ship that I could do something with. Little did I know what the future had in store for me and the "ATAGO"

PROBLEMS: Every time I take the Atago out for a battle, it's like I got a bulls eye painted on my back. As soon as the Atago is detected its like the fireworks on New Years Eve, everyone and his black dog starts firing at me. AND it doesn't stop...even when I go undetected again. I continue to get shot at and in the process of getting the hell out of there, the firing doesn't stop. Even when I go past other ships and my team mates are 3-5 kms closer to the enemy than my ship (Atago)aaa, the enemy continues to pursue the Atago by firing everything they have at her and more. Destroyers chase her down because the majority of the time it only takes one torpedo (533) to sink her and that's being kind.  the Atago armour is like tissue paper, even the destroyers can penetrate her hull with main guns and don't get me started about secondary armament on battle ships cause it just gets too much. Any type of shell from any type of ship makes swiss cheese out of the Atago's exterior armour and  that goes for noobies that subscribe to the hope and fire school of WOWS. Once you master the ability to stay undetected for as long as you can, I'm afraid this won't benefit you in any way,. I've heard the spool about how the Atago is one of the best ships out there for survivability and this comes from quite a few supposedly reliable sources however, she might have another 15k-20k of band-aids available to her at 3-4 different stages, but this alone will not save her. Atago the Japanese Cruiser is a marked vessel. The minute it's detected  there's a very high probability of getting citadelled and blown out of the water. 

REMEDY: aaaaaaaa

Survivability: the armour should be thickened up to accommodate the majority of shell fire that a cruiser takes.

Main Turrets: Should be heavier shells or shorter time period for reloading, it's absolutely exasperating waiting for the turrets to reload on this ship

Torpedos: This is where the ships shines, but over the past 100 battles, I may destroyed 3-4 ships with torpedoes, they need to be quicker and faster reloading time

AA Defense: Not bad, but the automatic mission program never matches the Atago up with any Air Craft Carriers in the same battle

PRIORITY: Better armour

Comment: Every one know that the Atago is an easy mark and it may have been popular before, but I hardly see Atago ships in battles these days,, make something of the Atago please because the ship that is getting around at the moment, is nothing more than target practise and that's being polite. I'm disgusted. It only takes one hit from any battleship and it's lights out, it's all over rover. 

604 posts
7,591 battles

You might be just be unlucky getting 1shotted by a BB

Atago armor is sorta tanky if you angle correctly.

Atago torpedos arc is so much better to work with.(compared to  mogami,myoko,ibuki) i do not know if you are joking or what. 62knots is quick enough for its tier,

120s reload is OK, you got like 30sec cooldown left if the torpedo  travel to its max range

Main armanent wise for its caliber, reload is balanced, 17% fire chance,840ms velocity, 

Oh yes,there a heal there for you to use. might be the tankiest cruiser for a t8 due to that fact.

Comment: Play with your rudder and speed to throw off enemy salvos.

Edited by Gummilicious

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

I cant even remember the last time WG did any kind of promotion of the Atago.  Its always been there and has always been a good ship. 

Good guns, good speed, repair, torps.  Yes its AA and turn time are crap, but it can hold its own against any ship if plays right.

Ship are balanced by having deficiencies to weigh against their good points.   The ship has a HUUUUGE citadel and poor armour  because you have repair party.

It has slow traverse because it has hard hitting 203mm guns and torps.   I Can see why its need bigger guns   The 203's are the largest gun on the T8 cruisers

As for 95% of Atago driver regretting buying it,  I'm sure a search will reveal hardly any posts complaining about it.  maybe  youre just having a few bad games in it

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Did you ever play any other cruiser in IJN line, if you not, you will probably will gonna delete the whole line since most of them get same problem or (even worse):Smile_teethhappy:

Atago and as well Takao already one of the best in line. The whole IJN cruiser play style is very similar, if you can play other well you will feels very please on Atago, if not it not the ship for you:cap_tea:

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,970 battles

It's just you.

Don't touch the IJN line if you find ATAGO doesn't suit your playstyle. 

You make mistakes at T8-T10 in a cruiser, you get deleted quickly.

492 posts
7,643 battles

I'm an Atago owner and I wasn't duped in any way. I went in knowing it was a good ship buying it and confirming that it is a good ship. Sorry to disappoint but I'm your so called 5% that own the ship and love it and don't regret having it and think it is fine as it is.

I would happily and with more confinence take an Atago out into a blind battle where I cannot see what the enemy ships are, long before I would take a Hipper or a Prinz. In my opinion Hipper and Prinz could use a heal more than the Atago, yet they don't have it and Atago does.

As far as armour goes, show me a T8 cruiser with great armour. There aren't any. You are a cruiser. Compared to all T8 cruiser armour is quite good. Cruisers being easier to sink due to this fact are going to be targeted more often. If you want the 35 knot speed and good manoeuvrability the Atago has you cannot have thick armour too. 

17233 damage torps with 62 knot and 10km are best torps at T8 for a cruiser. This needs to be obviously balanced with reload time. Same goes for guns. You want 8" firepower, you need to accept slower turrets and longer reload to balance your DPM output. Again compared to all T8 cruisers it is fine. Historically these guns were slightly slower to reload than CA from other countries. Same as the IJN DD guns. This is reflected in game.

It used to be regarded (at least from what I have read) as the best T8 cruiser, sure it has suffered from some power creep, but that is to be expected for most of the older ships in game. Every ship in game is different and requires you to adjust your play style to make the ship perform based on its strengths and weaknesses. You are not going to be fantastic at every ship you play. I know I am not. If you are having a bad run in the ship or just don't like it, then you are allowed to say so.

1,105 posts

usually i recommend people to play CV.... but not today....

GO GET ALSACE!!

GG secondary

SPEED BOOST

12 gun at T9

and still have repair party....

ALSACE! go get Alsace! 

273 posts
1,220 battles

Seasoned players will know how Atago is such a threat if in the correct hands of a good captain. Good concealment+10km torps+high fire chance+planes+good armor (if angle correctly) is really super nasty. Survive long enough in a battle and if the enemy team has no dd, usually the atago will go in for a cap undetected and secure a win. Even for rank battles besides chappy (radar), most players will opt for atago/takao.

That's why everytime the Atago is detected the ones calling for focus fire will the bb/dd as they know she is such a threat to them.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

Atago is hands down one of the best ships in the game.

From the sounds of things you need to learn ninja-knife.

Yes IJN CAs have been power-creeped however they are still good in deft hands due to high damage, flat-arcs.

Basically it's all about positioning and stealth. You then unload a full volley at an exposed enemy ship. Basically you will dominate any ship 1v1 so play with that in mind.

1,105 posts
4 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Thread about T8 IJNCA

Sharkabait rambles about T9 FRBB and random CV.

1415590997680.gif

he said atago is bad ship..... so i give him solution straight and honest....

PLAY ALSACE

273 posts
1,220 battles
Spoiler
Spoiler

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

P.S. Priority Target

Edited by Hey_Potato

161 posts
5,905 battles
2 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I would happily and with more confinence take an Atago out into a blind battle where I cannot see what the enemy ships are, long before I would take a Hipper or a Prinz. In my opinion Hipper and Prinz could use a heal more than the Atago, yet they don't have it and Atago does.

If OP is even complaining about Atago/Takao, I'm not quite sure what will happen if he gets to play Hipper/Prinz.

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles
14 minutes ago, HeidimarieW said:

If OP is even complaining about Atago/Takao, I'm not quite sure what will happen if he gets to play Hipper/Prinz.

He would probably smash his keyboard in frustration.

114 posts
3,889 battles

Have you wondered why everyone starts shooting at you the moment you are spotted? Maybe you were showing full broadside? Thats probably the only reason why everyone would shoot at you only, for those juicy citadels.

Atago is already a great ship even when facing T10 match making, and when you get T6 or 7 its just straight up bullying man. You use that 9.1km concealment and stay around 5km away from your dd, and only shoot once you turned your ship around to a kiting position.  The main issue is, everytime i see an Atago, they are always sailing broadside. Yea i get that sometimes you need to show your side to shoot but ever heard of kiting? You point your ass out and wiggle it , constantly playing around with your W and S button. Trust me, BBs have a hard time hitting an Atago thats always changing its course. And thats how you play the entire IJN cruiser line.

Atago has the best torpedo protection in T8 cruisers, so i dont even know what you mean when you say one torpedo is enough to kill it. Atago armour is reasonably strong when angled, ive even bounced a whole salvo of montana shells once. DD main guns can only penetrate Atago armour when you are giving full broadside and brawling. Honestly, you shouldnt be giving anything broadside at all, not even a DD (you minimise eating torps too). 

The only downside of Atago is probably the reload, AA and maybe the range too. But you know, without those downsides this ship would be too OP for its tier. I mean, you can rape pretty much anything with that IJN HE. And the way you work with that reload is to shoot, then start pointing your ass out and kiting. Japanese AA has pretty much always been a joke so i dont see much in buffing that anyways. I dont think the reload should be buffed, you have 10 guns and honestly just beating up BBs with quick reload is gonna be unfun for them, and BB players are gonna whine and whine (again).

Not to mention you have a HEAL in T8 and every other cruiser of that tier doesn't. 40k HP and a heal to sustain? Thats really borderline OP for that tier.

Yes you eat some unfortunate pens when you get too close but the bottom line is that its a great ship, just that you need to be used to the IJN line first in order to make her work.

And yes the CM does a way better job than atago, but you dont have a heal, means you cant get away with minor mistakes or getting HE spammed.

104 posts
9,034 battles

No. No. The Atago is one of the strongest cruisers at tier, if not the strongest.

It's a decently strong ship by itself, and it gets access to the repair party consumable that no other heavy cruiser at that tier gets.

Sure, the ship is not foolproof or completely easy-mode like the Kutuzov was/is, but it is strong enough that the developers consider it to be on the verge of overpowered and fit for removal from sale. 

4c6.jpg

Sign in to follow this