You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ellofiend

To free XP or not to free XP

27 comments in this topic

283 posts
3,591 battles

Hello again fellow Sailors, 

Just got the Pepsicola and with my first couple of matches I feel like the reviews just haven't done her justice, she is absolutely, tremendously, flabbergasterdly, HORRIBLE!

So, with the discounts on US ships, should I FXP past her?

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,856 posts
4,140 battles

Just grind it in scenarios.  Dont waste free XP when this is available.  The Pepsi is a challenge and pretty much mirrors the upcoming ships in the line.  Crap armour and great guns and AA

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

492 posts
7,669 battles
1 hour ago, ellofiend said:

Hello again fellow Sailors, 

Just got the Pepsicola and with my first couple of matches I feel like the reviews just haven't done her justice, she is absolutely, tremendously, flabbergasterdly, HORRIBLE!

So, with the discounts on US ships, should I FXP past her?

She is a challenge and a badge of honour for grinding without rage quitting. Still arguably the worst T7 cruiser. The guns are fantastic though and her AP will make broadside BB respect her (or delete her). Her guns and AA fire don't outweigh her shortcomings in the armour department however. Typical for a treaty cruiser.

Stacking signals in the scenario battles will get you past her pretty quickly. 12k EXP in a game is not hard to achieve. Save the FXP for something else.

Edited by HobartAWD

70 posts
3,170 battles
1 hour ago, ellofiend said:

she is absolutely, tremendously, flabbergasterdly, HORRIBLE!

I wouldn't say she's horrible, but rather the Pepsi is a decent ship. It's armor can be bouncy when bow on against 152mm guns, but of course it's side is all citadel city so don't be exposing your sides to big sticks. The best thing on the Pepsi is the guns. Good AP and RoF. Added with a balanced placement of guns: 5 guns each on bow and stern, plus a good concealment value makes it good for kiting and ambushes.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,856 posts
4,140 battles
7 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

It's armor can be bouncy when bow on against 152mm guns, 

This ship couldn't bounce a harsh insult off its bow let alone any shell in the game

273 posts
1,220 battles

5a9b747b0a5bc_Hey_Potato_Avatar_USNCAWR_1.jpg.9c13b0b83d395169c342b0039c202b3b.jpg

The above will happen if you don't grind it in scenario

Edited by Hey_Potato

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,856 posts
4,140 battles

I packed every flag I could on it and flogged it in T7 scenarios.   Had it for about a week or so and now it shits sits in dock awaiting the usn split

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

her only saving grace is her New bigger guns

similar to Furutaka case, but instead of having meh firepower but much better survivability , This ship carry much more powerful armaments in exchange of meh armour

14 posts
4,264 battles

So nobody wants to mention her decent rudder shift that will annoy the crap out a BB when kiting away at over 10km's along with its solid concealment allowing you to get in reasonably close then turn away?  Used this to good effect.  It doesn't bounce shells anywhere so you're best running in my view and dodging shells.  Finished the grind on her recently and this tactic worked well for me over everything else that just meant grey screen in quick time.  Near burned a Derpitz to the ground doing it while it shot all over the place trying to destroy me.  Don't go toe to toe with anything.  Ever.  Like ever.

Save your FXP.

273 posts
1,220 battles
12 minutes ago, AndersVolvker said:

It doesn't bounce shells anywhere

I rest my case for pepsicola

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

I grinded Pensacola 2 weeks ago. She is a very good cruiser. I love Pensacola over Myoko. Pensacola is an AP monster. Just needs those upgraded guns and careful positioning, and you can melt people. Especially cruisers.

313 posts
10,075 battles

pepsicola has extremely high skill ceiling, try to learn how to play her even after you research new orleans
otherwise you can't play new orleans and baltimore well either, soon you will get frustrated 

273 posts
1,220 battles
14 hours ago, Minifirefly said:

try to learn how to play her even after you research new orleans
otherwise you can't play new orleans and baltimore well either

5a9d147c89c64_Hey_Potato_Avatar_USNCAWR_1.jpg.3fc9f04a4ac2798f4d7940e477431e4f.jpg

Not sure what's wrong but my average dmg and WTR in Pepsicola seem to be higher than Orleans at that point in time though....:cap_wander_2::cap_wander::cap_hmm:

274 posts
23,690 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 8:43 AM, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Just grind it in scenarios.  Dont waste free XP when this is available.  The Pepsi is a challenge and pretty much mirrors the upcoming ships in the line.  Crap armour and great guns and AA

I felt Pensa's guns are truly unique in the USN CA line. The shell arc is not replicated at any point before or after.

455 posts
8,038 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Hey_Potato said:

5a9b747b0a5bc_Hey_Potato_Avatar_USNCAWR_1.jpg.9c13b0b83d395169c342b0039c202b3b.jpg

The above will happen if you don't grind it in scenario

OR the below could happen if you actually used the ships to their strengths
image.thumb.png.265fea5bf389ab991c29d0dee2d188c7.png

[LONER]
60 posts
2,597 battles

I’ll join the choir. I am not good in random battles at the best of times, unless I have have many tons of armour keeping me alive longer (which lifts my game just above embarrassingly bad). So, quite predictably, I am terrible in the Pepsi in randoms.

In scenarios, however, it can be a lot of fun. With those guns, there’s not a ship that you face that you cannot wreck, and AI behaviour is a bit more predictable, so you can avoid being shot at much easier. As a result, the only ships I can get higher damage totals in are the Gneisenau & Scharnhorst The AA comes into play often, and unless there’s an annoying Atlanta nearby, you can expect to shoot down a significant chunk of the AIs airforce. 

No Free XP needed.

1,039 posts
7,503 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, ellofiend said:

I can totally understand what you are saying. You came from Cleveland, which is a pretty tough ship, and now you drive a big Pepsi can with big guns.

I guess there is a reason why, in any type of battle, you see many T6 Cleveland’s, but you don’t see many T7 Pensacola’s.

Coming from Cleveland, you have to change your play style.

Personally, I quite like Pensacola in T7 scenarios, because she has hard-hitting guns and against the bots, you can see the end of most battles.

If positioned well and wiggling a lot, equipped with the appropriate captain skills like IFA, PT ad CE, I can enjoy the occasional battle in Pensacola, because of good guns.

After all that, If *you* should use free XP to bypass her, you have to know yourself.