You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Asian_noone

Dunkerque help wanted

30 comments in this topic

31 posts
2,893 battles

I find that lately my performance in Dunkerque has been very lackluster. I just can't find a way to manage even decent damage numbers (50-60k) consistently. So I decided to post some replays and hope someone can offer me advice (that isn't bowtanking all the time because that's a noob trap).

At the very least, I just want more consistency in my performance in Dunkerque.

Also, I come from the NA server, maybe SEA is different and I need to change myself (because I'm highly aggressive and prefer to close range wherever possible). How is the playerbase different? More or less skilled? Too passive for Dunkerque at mid tiers? Even aside from Dunkerque I tend to perform worse on the SEA server than NA.

20180302_065830_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

20180302_071248_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_41_Conquest.wowsreplay

20180302_072937_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

20180302_074305_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_41_Conquest.wowsreplay

20180302_075855_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_23_Shards.wowsreplay

Edited by Asian_noone

353 posts
5,015 battles

I havent seen the replays, but generally dont charge in sea server. Tons of snipers everywhere. Focus on not dying first rather than team play because language. Spam f command in the hope u get attention to what u wanted eg support. Even then dont expect 100% support.

Lastly maybe angle bow to tank shots as dunkerque rather paper

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

You won't get away with wrong position or showing broadside like you would on NA server. And Dunkerque is very weak battleship. You won't last long if the kiting cruisers look your way. Also, almost all the cruiser players here get IFHE on <203mm ships upon reaching tier 6.

In SEA, make sure not to present yourself as a juicy target and learn the way of disengaging and engaging back.

Skill wise, I won't say we are any better or worse, competitive history shows SEA is better than other two servers, but random pubbies are more or less same.

Our DD playerbase is utter trash, bb playerbase is 50-50, cruisers doesn't require much skill to play anyway, and cvs are either bots or super unicums.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

I can't download them for some odd reason it comes up with an xml error.

So I will give you the best general advice for Dunkerque that I can...

Firstly, thankyou for having a great attitude - we need more like you.

Dunkerque is a bow tank.
She does not snipe, she does not brawl.
Mid-range and angling are her strengths.

Basically you want to set up in a position that reduces the amount of cross-fire you will receive so you can survive longer and deal more damage.

You don't want to be completely nose on... you want a 15-30 degree angle. Any more and you'll be overmatched.

Positioning aside, you maximise you damage by correct targeting. Change your target as required, you should be aiming for the 'easy damage' target that you can reliably hit.
In essence - broadside fools. You have excellent turret traverse so optimise on that. WASD hack and don't charge forward so you survive longer.

Use HE almost never. The ONLY time you use HE is if your only/need-to-kill target is an angled BB that you are failing to  hit the superstructure. This is standard for non-flamer BBs (RN BBs are flamers aka HE spammers).

60k is easy to get if you survive longer.

Overall aim and positioning are god. Predict where the enemy team will be and run away early. Also, having a good aim is very important with BBs.
You should be at a stage where 'oh this side will collapse in 2min, I need to turn and run'.
You also should be running concealment build, to maximise on this.

Dunkerque is a 2nd line BB, a support BB. It is far less tanky than every BB in tier and should be used in conjunction with other ships. Time alive is her friend with her quick firing guns and speed so stay alive. If you can angle in a Kongo, you can angle in any BB.

NB: Any budding BB players out there - spend a LOT of time in a Kongo, she rewards good BB play and punishes bad BB play.
ie. She is surprisingly tanky when angled correctly and can hit hard - even with 1 shell when you know how to aim. Even more importantly, she teaches you effective engagement ranges with BBs as she will struggle to hit anything at 16+km, despite her enormous range.
Seriously, if you want to learn how to BB, watch some youtube guides and spend 100+ battles in the Kongo. By the end provided that you can learn, you will be able to carry T7 matches.

Edited by S4pp3R

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
13 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Seriously, if you want to learn how to BB, watch some youtube guides and spend 100+ battles in the Kongo. By the end provided that you can learn, you will be able to carry T7 matches.

You cannot be serious. If you need 100 battles in a t5 BB that barely represents bb play in general, then bb may not be the class for you. No offense.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,990 battles
13 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Use HE almost never. The ONLY time you use HE is if your only/need-to-kill target is an angled BB that you are failing to  hit the superstructure. This is standard for non-flamer BBs (RN BBs are flamers aka HE spammers).

I don't know about that. The HE has very good fire starting chance.

318 posts
6,868 battles

The HE on the Dunkek is pretty good. Get a fire going and watch if it sticks, swap to AP if the target is presenting a good angle for it. Just remember that the velocity on the HE is better than the AP, so lead a little more when using AP.

From the videos iv'e seen from NA, a lot of them spend too much time broadside, on SEA you will be punished for that. 

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

You cannot be serious. If you need 100 battles in a t5 BB that barely represents bb play in general, then bb may not be the class for you. No offense.

LOL!
I think you need to stop and think, angling and aim - Kongo teaches good play. If you doubt me I'm happy to div up and show you what I mean...

4 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

I don't know about that. The HE has very good fire starting chance.

If you can't get reliable damage with AP, learn to aim... HE on BBs (outside RN) is a waste.
Yeah sure you might get good damage numbers but fire damage is fully healable...

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,990 battles
53 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

If you can't get reliable damage with AP, learn to aim... HE on BBs (outside RN) is a waste.
Yeah sure you might get good damage numbers but fire damage is fully healable...

Were you trying to be condescending? I don't need a 'how-to' sermon, thanks.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles
2 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

Nope, it just comes naturally, kek

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
8 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

I think you need to stop and think, angling and aim - Kongo teaches good play. If you doubt me I'm happy to div up and show you what I mean...

Nono, there is no doubt in my mind that you know how to play a kongo. What I said was, there is no need to spend 100 games on Kongo to learn the game. You can do that just fine moving along the line.

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, icy_phoenix said:

In your opinion.

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
17 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

What I said was, there is no need to spend 100 games on Kongo to learn the game. You can do that just fine moving along the line.

And you know that how?

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 4:23 PM, Bex_o7 said:

I think the main point he tried to make was that most of fire damage is healable. Isn't that a good point to make?

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,256 battles

I feel like the fact that fire damage is healable is starting to get over-emphasised. You can't heal anything when you're dead, and fires can achieve that just as well as anything, especially 2-3 of them on a BB that has just burned their DC.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
11 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

And you know that how?

The guy I replied to, understood that. I don't think I have to explain it to you. I know it by Jedi mind power. Any problem?

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
2 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

More Jedi mind power, I guess?

Is it possible that you make all the quotes in one post? You are contributing nothing to the topic. And I don't think you should try to nitpick my words.

Jesus!!

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
6 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

You are contributing nothing to the topic. And I don't think you should try to nitpick my words.

Neither do you. At least with these posts.

And I don't think you should say you know things you don't.

But this is why we have the forum, so we can have a friendly exchange :cap_like:

114 posts
3,889 battles
45 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

In your opinion. 

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I don't really want to brag, but If I don't know something about the game, you probably never heard of that. How do I know you asked? I have been working as a tester for quite some time already, I have played in all three servers, I got myself into server's top 100 hall of fame, have been playing on top clan ever since. My SEA account was my gitgud account and it kinda looks shabby compared to other two servers', it is still miles ahead of you in terms of game performance. So before you try to tell me "You don't know", think about what you know first. I wouldn't have said these, but you have been quite the pain in the arse for some time now. I probably won't ever bother replying to you. Thanks for your time.

Edited by icy_phoenix

203 posts
11,788 battles
4 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

But this is why we have the forum, so we can have a friendly exchange :cap_like:

Starts with choosing your words carefully next time so everything will look "Friendly".
Carelessness could always lead to someone thinking you thirst for a debate war, and we see that happens on the forums all the time.

Don't be that guy sitting comfortably behind a silver screen saying everything without caring. That "comfort" is the reason a place like this and everywhere else like it has a war going on at any time.

Back to the topic.
OP prefer playing aggresive and get in close whenever possible, I have bad news for you saying from a man who prefer close range engagement as well.
In SEA you gotta learn to make a shot between mid - long range most of your enemy you see will turn away from you as soon as you or your teammates spotted him. 

so yeah you could say our meta leaning at "passive" site
"Kiting" is the main meta here its the most annoying thing to deal with and there's only limited way to counter it.
You have 2 ways, one being you execute the kiting maneuver as well although boring and not really suits for battleships its generally a better choice compare to "bow tanking"
The 2nd way is to use your concealment and try to caught your enemy with his bow towards you when he's spotted, that way he has to show a broad when he wants to turn away.
Note that the 2nd way won't be much use when you face those who always seems to "prepared" for it.

Also I have another factor to tells you regard of "Consistancy"
You're not getting it with your battleships. in SEA we have loads of destroyers with a lifespan of 3 mins on average.
Although you could try to force the push after seeing the inevitable but as you know the odds will most likely stacks up on to your enemy's favor already so you can't really expect to win the fight.
Aiming for the enemy Destroyers first could help you in some way but if you have average damage stats as your concern I have another bad news for you.
Killing an enemy Destroyer contributes more on Win Rate stats its a complete opposite of what you wanted, Its a tradeoff you have to make as a decision yourself.