You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

How to dodge L shape Maneuver

20 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,615 battles

Haii once again .

So I personally love making L maneuver to rekt DDs with my Torpedo bombers. But now I am playing as DD and the enemy makes L maneuver to rekt me . How do you think could that be countered?

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
8 minutes ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

Haii once again .

So I personally love making L maneuver to rekt DDs with my Torpedo bombers. But now I am playing as DD and the enemy makes L maneuver to rekt me . How do you think could that be countered?

the most important part is know your ship and play with the speed.

Having speed boost used moment b4 the drop increase your dodge chance a lot by making the Cv mistaking your speed. If it isnt available , drop speed to minimum and do a sharp turn then speed up.

Usually 1/4 - 3/4 do the trick

but against the top CV players , you are out of hope

2,221 posts
13,691 battles

Your best bet is usually to stop engines the instant he drops the chasers.

Edited by keskparane

455 posts
8,038 battles

If you can, you should try to turn into the first torp bomber allowing you to turn in any direction for dodging the second. Will be much harder against good CV players but works most of the time in a dd with good rudder. Otherwise play with your speed when the bombers are lining up to drop.
If its a 3 tb crossdrop by a good taiho or hakuryu however, you may as well accept your fate unless you have aa/ft support or have DFAA

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
8 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

If CV wants you DEAD, you will be DEAD...no escaping from that... :Smile_trollface: 

Unless you type something into the chat , it is likely the rare case. If you survive that one off engagement , chances are rare that he would go for a 2nd strike if the distance is sufficient.

So if you happen to be close to him , hell yeah he will send waves after waves trying to kill you ( a great hint that you are close to him). Otherwise , the 2nd and 3rd strikes have low  impact and is inefficient since it cost him time and at the later time of incident , they are more pressing matters likely. Diminishing returns so to speak.

A CV strike usually have a 2:30 to 3 minutes turn over time , around 3:20-4:00 if he is sneaking or assisting the off flank. Time yourself carefully from the time of hit till follow up strikes arrive.

That said , do yourself a favour and save up the speed boost for use when CV is targeting you. Using it at the right moment will shake off even 3x torpedo  crossfire from Taiho and Hakuryu

411 posts
6,164 battles
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Unless you type something into the chat , it is likely the rare case. If you survive that one off engagement , chances are rare that he would go for a 2nd strike if the distance is sufficient.

So if you happen to be close to him , hell yeah he will send waves after waves trying to kill you ( a great hint that you are close to him). Otherwise , the 2nd and 3rd strikes have low  impact and is inefficient since it cost him time and at the later time of incident , they are more pressing matters likely. Diminishing returns so to speak.

A CV strike usually have a 2:30 to 3 minutes turn over time , around 3:20-4:00 if he is sneaking or assisting the off flank. Time yourself carefully from the time of hit till follow up strikes arrive.

That said , do yourself a favour and save up the speed boost for use when CV is targeting you. Using it at the right moment will shake off even 3x torpedo  crossfire from Taiho and Hakuryu

If I'm in a DD, I'll definitely be the closest to him, unless I abandon my objective...

Those 3x drop dodges are tough... It requires a lot of experience and practice...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
43 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

If I'm in a DD, I'll definitely be the closest to him, unless I abandon my objective...

Those 3x drop dodges are tough... It requires a lot of experience and practice...

and luck

the torp drop is slightly not fixed in formation, and it almost impossible to make a perfect drop twice in a row

1,125 posts

against skilled CV player there's no hope.

try turn into TB you'll end up slam your side into their torp wall instead

turn away and they still catch up anyway

smoke up? they torp into smoke and kill you anyway

plane can't be shoot down by skill so if your ship lack AA it's over.

411 posts
6,164 battles
56 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

the torp drop is slightly not fixed in formation, and it almost impossible to make a perfect drop twice in a row

They don't need to drop you that perfectly, it only requires one torp hit and you're crippled for the rest of the match...it's just not a fair play.

56 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

against skilled CV player there's no hope.

try turn into TB you'll end up slam your side into their torp wall instead

turn away and they still catch up anyway

smoke up? they torp into smoke and kill you anyway

plane can't be shoot down by skill so if your ship lack AA it's over.

THIS^^^

And specially the part in Bold. CV as a whole(against all other classes) is an issue itself(and is one of the biggest drawbacks of this game currently).

This thread may turn into another "CV thread" as usual... :cap_haloween:

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

You mean the cross drops? If done by good CV player, you can't dodge. And if your DD is somewhat long hull, its even more impossible. Turning in is always the best option in this case, since if you turn away the torps from behind will force you to sail straight for long time. I usually do double turn in or turn in and then turn away. I did turn away then turn in too, but that was with sims. Most CV players wont even bother dropping on sims.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
22 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

You mean the cross drops? If done by good CV player, you can't dodge. And if your DD is somewhat long hull, its even more impossible. Turning in is always the best option in this case, since if you turn away the torps from behind will force you to sail straight for long time. I usually do double turn in or turn in and then turn away. I did turn away then turn in too, but that was with sims. Most CV players wont even bother dropping on sims.

I dont know about that , i have been able to hit any DD consistently with cross EXCEPT for Leningrad. Its combination of speed and agility is so unique , i cant lead and anticipate for possible turn at all. Leningrad combi of minimal speed loss and great turning make it very unlikely to get cross torped unless it is not paying attention.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
2 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

I dont know about that , i have been able to hit any DD consistently with cross EXCEPT for Leningrad. Its combination of speed and agility is so unique , i cant lead and anticipate for possible turn at all. Leningrad combi of minimal speed loss and great turning make it very unlikely to get cross torped unless it is not paying attention.

I wont believe you even if you claim that you can drop on Sims consistently. :) Infact, you will be lucky if you get your planes out of there alive. She has DFAA, and quite possibly the smallest turning radius in mid to high tier along with quickest ruddershift, also very small hull. And not slow either.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

I wont believe you even if you claim that you can drop on Sims consistently. :) Infact, you will be lucky if you get your planes out of there alive. She has DFAA, and quite possibly the smallest turning radius in mid to high tier along with quickest ruddershift, also very small hull. And not slow either.

Sims is much easier to drop on than Lenin infact. Its much slower , and it doesnt run around with speed boost which can MISlead aim. Its DFAA will delay attacking it , but when it is on cool down , its pretty much dead. Ruddershift is one thing , but speed bleeding is the killer here. After a 2 turns , it will slow down to around a cruiserish speed and is the perfect time to set it for a cross. The Lenin great speed is what make its very hard to lead the drop , and sufficient lead is around the distance that it could make a clean turn. The Sims DO NOT get that.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
4 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Sims is much easier to drop on than Lenin infact. Its much slower , and it doesnt run around with speed boost which can MISlead aim. Its DFAA will delay attacking it , but when it is on cool down , its pretty much dead. Ruddershift is one thing , but speed bleeding is the killer here. After a 2 turns , it will slow down to around a cruiserish speed and is the perfect time to set it for a cross. The Lenin great speed is what make its very hard to lead the drop , and sufficient lead is around the distance that it could make a clean turn. The Sims DO NOT get that.

Well, don't want to argue about it. Just wondering if you ever dropped on a competent Sims player. In case you don't know yet, I can turn 360 within your cross drops. And I played around 300 sims games. I know she is the most agile ship in tier 7. Lelingrad has straight line speed, that doesn't save you from CV drops. And, that DFAA part...... nah I wont reveal our secret tactics of baiting CVs with AA DDs.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, don't want to argue about it. Just wondering if you ever dropped on a competent Sims player. In case you don't know yet, I can turn 360 within your cross drops. And I played around 300 sims games. I know she is the most agile ship in tier 7. Lelingrad has straight line speed, that doesn't save you from CV drops. And, that DFAA part...... nah I wont reveal our secret tactics of baiting CVs with AA DDs.

I MEAN it like this : Lenin is nbr 1 in the hard to hit top list , simply because it can maintain agility in tight turns, Sims has extremely tight turn , but cant maintain enough speed to get out of the jam. IT DOESNT MEAN SHE IS NOT HARD TO HIT.

Though if she use DFAA , i will not get her for sometimes :)

Edited by legionary2099