Sign in to follow this  
Aeseir

Bayern not what it seems?

10 comments in this topic

[UGDF]
10 posts
475 battles

So been trying my hardest to climb the german BB tree, but I have to admit the novelty is starting to wear out.

I am aware that german BB have ridiculous dispersion and that they are generally tanks (armoured giants). Aim is to get close enough to see the whites in their eyes then blast them to oblivion.

Sadly I am not seeing any of the blasting from my end.

I've played probably dozen Bayern battles in a row where i have been wiped out in moments, and have not been able to even penetrate CV. Usually I will be within 10km of target, and at 45+ degree angle to them (they usually go full bowside).

Every other ship has been able to penetrate me easy, from a massive range with most shells hitting, yet even with perfect aiming at 8km (fighting a fuso) i am getting bounces or nothing in fact.

It has really killed my mood for this game to be honest.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems?

602 posts
7,580 battles

I did grind the KM BBs and yes i did had this issues 

The dispersion might had troll u when fighting a 8km fuso. as is trollish most of the time.

Shells might have hit your superstructures(16mm) especially HE

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles
17 hours ago, Aeseir said:

Is anyone experiencing similar problems?

No, because its what I expected.   Mine are all built as pure secondary builds.   Point bow at enemy and shoot.  Trust me, the line is worth it

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles
18 hours ago, Aeseir said:

Usually I will be within 10km of target, and at 45+ degree angle to them (they usually go full bowside).

^^ This is your mistake. You only get that close when you are certain that you will destroy the enemies and survive. Otherwise, you are going in for a trade, or as a last resort.

Also, 45 degree isn't enough. At that close range, you have to angle more. Battleships can tank, doesn't mean you need to from the start. Make sure you wear out enemies before getting into brawling range if you do not want one way ticket out of there.

And if you do not like Bayern, might as well stop grinding, cause it will only get worse till you get to GK.

In my experience, Bayern is the best tier 6 BB I played. Around 70k average damage and very respectable survival rate. Main battery accuracy something around 29%.

One keypoint for you, know the difference between tanking and yoloing.

[UGDF]
10 posts
475 battles

Hmm interesting, different points.

@icy_phoenix - i don't know how you get to 70k but at anything greater than 12km the shells miss majority of time, even when perfectly lined up. I figured since he can only hit close range, every fight is last resort. By the time i get close enough, i've 50% of hp. If there is a DD near, then most of it. Looking at other players they either stay very far range and deal even less damage or they go full throttle and get in close.

Best i wouldn't say, they are tankiest though. When I play with Normandie, i can usually pick the bayern off relatively quickly enough for them to run.

Anyways, gotta keep grinding.

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles
52 minutes ago, Aeseir said:

Hmm interesting, different points.

@icy_phoenix - i don't know how you get to 70k but at anything greater than 12km the shells miss majority of time, even when perfectly lined up. I figured since he can only hit close range, every fight is last resort. By the time i get close enough, i've 50% of hp. If there is a DD near, then most of it. Looking at other players they either stay very far range and deal even less damage or they go full throttle and get in close.

Best i wouldn't say, they are tankiest though. When I play with Normandie, i can usually pick the bayern off relatively quickly enough for them to run.

Anyways, gotta keep grinding.

Well, 8 Gun battleships at tier 6 suffer the same problem. Not just bayern. QE will make you go bald cause you will pull out all your hair seeing the sad dispersion. But it is ok. Make sure the ones you land count for good return.

Also, this is very important. As a BB player, you need to be relatively close to your target, but to get there, you have to use strategy. For example, use landmass to not get spotted on the way.

As for main role, your main role as a BB IS NOT spamming on other BBs. You always go for cruisers first. And DDs if they are very close. Also, if you think about statistics, you need to balance out your games. You may have a bad game when you are bottom tier, but you will easily balance the stats when you get to be top tier. Bayern is small and very agile, somewhat resistant to lower tier HE spam. Utilize your strength :)

Judging from your stats, you are very new player, lots of things to learn. I will suggest that you watch some Bayern (or any ship you like to paly) gameplay videos (recent ones) on YouTube in your free time. You will get a good idea on how to approach your enemy, in various maps. Trust me, this helps a lot, and don't worry about it too much, you are doing great as a new player. Just don't rush through the tree, take your time. This game is easy to learn, but not that easy to master.

Edited by icy_phoenix

28 posts
787 battles

Had the exact same problems as you did in my Bayern, learn to play. I did, really very fast, because suddenly all my old tactics that worked at tier 4 don't work anymore. I was a newbie, then I learned to BB.

What I did:

- Stay near friends. This is important. Sail into 3 enemy ships on your own, you better run.

- Angle the front of your ship, enemy shells will only delete you if they can get a shot of your broadside.

- Learn when to fire AP and HE. (I am not very good at this yet)

Your secondaries are nice, use them if you can, but be careful of destroyers. So also remember to make course adjustments every few seconds. Makes a DD's job much harder.

Instantly I did way better, still haven't found a way to deal with carriers though.

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles
4 hours ago, BristolBrick said:

Instantly I did way better, still haven't found a way to deal with carriers though.

The ONLY defense you have against CVs are your own AA. So, the only way to deal with them is to play ships with strong AA. Sadly, Bayern isn't one of those.

Sign in to follow this