Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
cellum95

Gneisenau-German RNG

6 comments in this topic

41 posts
2,805 battles

A few weeks back I unlocked and purchased the Tier VII German Battleship. After a number of battles in it, I can now comfortably say my opinion on this ship.

Note: I haven't fully researched the ship, so pls take this with a grain of salt.

Survivability(Health, Armor and AA Defense): The health is ok. 50k+ health isn't bad at all and fully upgraded its health raises up to around almost 60k health. Armor-wise, again it's ok. The armor can certainly hold its own, but the fact that it only offers protection against 15" and below caliber guns means that anyone sailing this ship has to keep in mind that equal-tier ships(Nagato and Colorado especially) and above can cause significant amounts of damage when showing a decent amount of your broadside. The AA Defense is average. It can do the job done, but you're not a US Battleship that has absurd amounts of AA strapped to its hull, so your best protection is to stick with teammates to stack up the damage.

Firepower(Main and Secondary Armaments): The 15" guns of the Gneisenau is the very definition of Battleship RNG. When I first got it, the dispersion was so bad, even with the broadsides of the enemies showing up, the guns somehow miss them. The only way I have managed to compensate was to use the spotter plane, and even then, with only 6 guns(two per turret), you really have to take precise aim and hope to RNG that they hit. With the FCS Upgrade, I suddenly find it respectable. At least some of the shells hit when aiming the broadside of a barn from the inside. On the other hand, the Secondaries of this ship is fun. With the Secondary Armaments Modification alone it can make the health of destroyers dwindle in a respectable amount of time. Still, don't solely rely on those since you can get carried away easily of dreaming in CQC with the enemy, only to watch yourself fighting multiple enemies instead of one. Also torpedoes, nuff said.

Maneuverability: The speed is phenomenal. Hell, the speed is almost comparable to that of the USS Iowa, at Tier 9. Still, the speed comes at a cost. The turning circle/speed in this is horrendous. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
12 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

Gneisenau

one of the most solid ship i ever play, probably even more than the upper tier KM BB based on Tier performance

Pros:

Fastest BB in the Tier

Best Long Range AA on BB

Torpedoes

Heavily Armoured on the ships port and broadside, but you still need to angle ofc

Good Secondaries

Turtleback

Cons:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG deck

Easily catch fire

Vulnerable to Torpedoes since she does not have Sonar yet, and the ship is long

6 main guns

terrible accuracy on the main guns

15 inch main guns  lacking in penetrations against enemy Battleships, (most have 16 inch)

Hans, The deck is on Fire! Again!

1,011 posts
7,464 battles
18 hours ago, cellum95 said:

The AA Defense is average. It can do the job done, but you're not a US Battleship that has absurd amounts of AA strapped to its hull

According to this:

https://wows-numbers.com/ships/compare/?type=battleship&tier=7

Gneisenau has best AA at T7. They say it is "top configuration", not quite sure if they include captain skills, or just modules.

According to the figures, Gneisenau's good AA is well reflected in the number of planes shot down, which again is highest at T7.

You will see a significant increase of AA with Hull B, also BFT and AFT will have a noticeable impact on AA.

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

US BBs do not get that massive AA untill North Carolina. Gneisenau has the 2nd best t7 AA, after Lyon I think. You have to spec for AA though. You have those awesome long range AA.

Secondary build for Gneisenau doesn't sound right to me. Also.. using spotter plane??? :cap_fainting:

161 posts
5,905 battles

I'm really in a love-hate relationship with Gneisenau, especially because of the 2x3 gun layout and German dispersion. And I do quite well in Gneis, better than Scharnhorst which I prefer to play much more. Now she just sits in my port, nothing else, except some Coop-operations.

Spoiler

idk why
unknown.png

My first few matches with Gneisenau almost encourage me to drop the whole German BB line or skip this ship. Yorck might be the same case, there might be something with German T7s. But in the end I didn't skip but just play her till I got Bis. It's quite the same case with Scharnhorst. Some might say that the dispersion got artifically increase at 10+km range, but it might just be a rumor. I don't quite get this decision by WG, since Gneis got less guns compared to other T7 and the shots are so random. The guns felt better the closer you get, also with torps, still, with some occasional trolllish salvo. Which kind of suggest brawling style, but there're some other problems i.e. weak to HE spam, bow in can still be penned by other BBs, lack of sonar that helps a lot when pushing. She's not a conventional BB, more like a battlecrusier that can brawl if the situation allows it.

And I do think with kind of better AA, spotter plane have it own use. At least I can try to shoot smoked up ships or shooting something behind the island, if RNGesus allows to hit.

3 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Gneisenau has best AA at T7. They say it is "top configuration", not quite sure if they include captain skills, or just modules.

According to the figures, Gneisenau's good AA is well reflected in the number of planes shot down, which again is highest at T7.

You will see a significant increase of AA with Hull B, also BFT and AFT will have a noticeable impact on AA.

Yes, with full spec AA build she really becomes a no fly zone, but the usage is debatable. People will usually go for secondaries build or conceal/tank.

Edited by HeidimarieW
Typos

156 posts
4,055 battles
22 hours ago, cellum95 said:

The AA Defense is average. It can do the job done, but you're not a US Battleship that has absurd amounts of AA strapped to its hull, so your best protection is to stick with teammates to stack up the damage.

IMO Gnaisan AA is one of its strengths. You can easily get 20+ plane kills if a same tier CV decides to focus you throughout the game. I once got 19 plane kills in one game from a Shokaku (T8) who struck me three times with all her squads. Ofc i died in the end but her whole focus was me throughout the game as i had squandered off. Now you have to use AFT+AA Flags to get such results. 

IMO Gnaisan's AA is better than Colorado's. 

Edited by Anger_Lehner

Sign in to follow this