You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Audacious

About the PA flags(aside from the old dispute)

PAN-Asian Flags  

18 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. What should they do for the flags?

• Bring back the flags for just other nations that are out of the Chinese dispute.(Indonesia, Korea, Thailand) Dragon can stay for the Chinese ones and Dragon flag still represents the line as a whole
    • Create a completely new flag(for example, Flag with a map of Asia)
    • Other suggestions

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/24/2018 at 12:52 AM

31 comments in this topic

69 posts
3,877 battles

It's been quite a few patches from the PA release. Should they return the flags for other nations? Because I still think that a "Dragon Flag" is a bad represntation for PA DDs.

1. Mostly because it is similar in character to the super signal and it is a lazy design.

2. Dragons do not reflect all of the countries involved in the line quite well.

I know this topic is quite old, but I hate this lazy implementation by WG and I wish to have at least a slim chance of them fixing this up. Because this impelementation was stupid back then, and it is still stupid until now. it just shows how bad the generalization of Asia can go. To me it seems that WG thinks

Aisa = China

which is no wonder why it sparked so much disputes in the past and how much they failed to appease those who were angered by their decision.

P.S Also I would like for them to please fix the names of the captains of PA because I only see Chinese names for the captains.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and please stop bringing up the Rising Sun Flag issue. That dispute has nothing to do with this one and stop biting on each other again. Don't go that low on yourselves.

Edited by HMS_Audacious
Unrelated disputes

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
9 minutes ago, HMS_Audacious said:

actually, apart from indonesia which dosnt have too much history with dragons, china/TW, korean and thailand are all represented quite well by dragons in lore, culture and legends

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Just give us the option to hide the flags. If we can't have the historical flag then I'd rather not see any flag on the ship at all. That goes for Imperial German ships that are flying the wrong ensign.

Plus it was the Korean playerbase that got the IJN flag removed from the game, so it's only fair that they don't get their ROK flag either.

525 posts
7,946 battles
29 minutes ago, HMS_Audacious said:

It's been quite a few patches from the PA release. Should they return the flags for other nations? Because I still think that a "Dragon Flag" is a bad represntation for PA DDs.

1. Mostly because it is similar in character to the super signal and it is a lazy design.

I know this topic is quite old, but I hate this lazy implementation by WG and I wish to have at least a slim chance of them fixing this up. Because this impelementation was stupid back then, and it is still stupid until now. it just shows how bad the generalization of Asia can go. To me it seems that WG thinks

Aisa = China

which is no wonder why it sparked so much disputes in the past and how much they failed to appease those who were angered by their decision.

P.S Also I would like for them to please fix the names of the captains of PA because I only see Chinese names for the captains.

Thank god the player base from those countries aren't a cry babies eh?

1 post
71 battles
16 hours ago, Nikolaevna said:

Just give us the option to hide the flags. If we can't have the historical flag then I'd rather not see any flag on the ship at all. That goes for Imperial German ships that are flying the wrong ensign.

Plus it was the Korean playerbase that got the IJN flag removed from the game, so it's only fair that they don't get their ROK flag either.

Boy... u just certified yourself content modified. Congrats.

Insults / Dergatory Comments, Content Modified, User Sanctioned
~tc1259

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
16 hours ago, Newbie_Noob_Newb said:

Don't speak too soon.

u just achieved red crayons on your first post. Congrats.

updated quote ~tc1259

1,347 posts
8,872 battles

Well WG did say that flag customisation options is planned somewhere down the road.

But it would be nice if the countries that are not involved.

1,493 posts

Ummm.... being new I suggest you edit this post pronto, & check the rules about posting guidelines about what is acceptable, because this is not, & the forum moderators Will give you red crayons on your post if you dont. 

Ordrazz

updated quote ~tc1259

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Argument_Pyramid.jpg

I thought there is only name calling as  the bottom

apparently this poster goes to the basement

updated quote ~tc1259

239 posts
13,995 battles
15 hours ago, Torchwood5 said:

I just came from another post where a guy said content modified. What's happening to everyone tonight!?

Ragenight. The Red Lanterns are coming.

updated quote ~tc1259

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
Just now, Somedude_Yudachi said:

Koreans even made the IJN lost raising sun flag,so karma I guess?

*rising

1,386 posts
8,244 battles

IIRC WG already promised an option to customize navy flags for individual ships due to be rolled out early 2018, I hope they keep their promise. This seem to be the best solution, if they allow customize ships the player does not own. ( the server does not transmit what flag other people pick, so flag customization done to a specific ship will apply to all specimens of this ship shown in the player's client) However, an option to hide this not-so-comprehensively-generalizing flag should have been provided when the line got released late last year.

As for the dragon thing, AFAIK it is a somewhat shared culture among South Asian and East Asian countries, there's the Indian dragon, Chinese, Japanese, Korean amongst others.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

16 battles, how bout you bring out your non alt account and say it again eh?

updated quote ~tc1259

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

IIRC WG already promised an option to customize navy flags for individual ships due to be rolled out early 2018, I hope they keep their promise. This seem to be the best solution, if they allow customize ships the player does not own. ( the server does not transmit what flag other people pick, so flag customization done to a specific ship will apply to all specimens of this ship shown in the player's client) However, an option to hide this not-so-comprehensively-generalizing flag should have been provided when the line got released late last year.

As for the dragon thing, AFAIK it is a somewhat shared culture among South Asian and East Asian countries, there's the Indian dragon, Chinese, Japanese, Korean amongst others.

not indonesia tho

a bit of background on SEA/china/korean culturesstorytime

when WG decided to make a flag that wouldnt offend the majority of asian players, they really hit the mark with the dragon flag. unlike in western culture, where dragons were monsters that attacked, destroyed and made off with princesses so that some plunky knight could ride in, kill the dragon and ride off into the sunse as the hero, asian dragons are much more varied. in many cultures here dragons are instead idols of worship that were said to be the bringers of rain and good harvest. these beings were oft accioated with  the water, fire, air and thunder(i know it's not a actual element but still)

In china, korea and japan where the culture and belives were a pretty big melting pot back then, dragons were also accioated with good luck(one of the 4 beasts of fortune) imperial privlige, and were used to describe "things that are extrodronary" , pretty fitting for the only asian line we're probally gonna get

in thailand, vietnam and cambodia, dragons, or "nagas" were very closely accioated with the 2 major religions of ancient eras, hinduism and buddhism. here they were the mounts of buhddas and sometimes manisfetion of the gods themselves, so dragnons can also be used to represent these countrys due to the historical connections they have

now indo-malay arias on the otherhand...

they are muslims now and that's what their national identy mostly are these days, and muslim culture devoloped in the arab regions, so historicaly speaking, even though they had dragons in the lore and culture, they were drowned out by the muslim culture and so isnt so closely accioated with them anymore

(correct me if im wrong, im intrested to hear what local ppl from these countries think of this)

Edited by drakon233

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
2 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

Argument_Pyramid.jpg

I thought there is only name calling as  the bottom

apparently this poster goes to the basement

oh, you found the debater's chart, nice one lol

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
4 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

now indo-malay arias on the otherhand...

they are muslims now and that's what their national identy mostly are these days, and muslim culture devoloped in the arab regions, so historicaly speaking, even though they had dragons in the lore and culture, they were drowned out by the muslim culture and so isnt so closely accioated with them anymore

(correct me if im wrong, im intrested to hear what local ppl from these countries think of this)

well, we do have Komodo Dragons

Alpha Tester
392 posts
3 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

IIRC WG already promised an option to customize navy flags for individual ships due to be rolled out early 2018, I hope they keep their promise.

From @Sub_Octavian: "There was a discussion about flags (PA-line). A customisation will come, but not for now. The main flag of the ship is part of the identity, but for now it will not be allowed to play a Alabama with a Soviet flag, or a Kransy Krim with a UK-flag. Some customisation can be added, but the choice will be limited. You can’t mount anything on everything."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/7xxfm7/072_qa_transcript_with_lordofdroid_and_sub/