Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DFaultPlayR69

Scharnhorst vs Gneisenau

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
70 posts
3,170 battles

Just recently, I've gotten the Bayern. So far it's an okay ship for me. Really bad stock hull cuz non-existent AA, but the guns are amazing. I even managed to Yolo a Bismark and take almost half of it's health before dying. However, now that I'm looking at the next ship, the Gneisenau, I'm rather conflicted if I should skip it and proceed to the Bismark because when I looked at the free exp I've accumulated, I already have enough to research Bismark. The reason I'm considering skipping Gneis is because I already have Scharnhorst and I absolutely love that ship. As far as I know, both ships are basically similar with only the main guns being the difference, so is Gneis superior to the Scharn, or at least have something that makes it unique besides its larger caliber guns. I want to know if Gneis is a keeper, even if I already have Scharn. It it just as good as Scharn in close quarter brawls? I worry that the slow reload on the larger guns will make it less effective when going CQB unlike her sister ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MEGA]
Member
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
18 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Just recently, I've gotten the Bayern. So far it's an okay ship for me. Really bad stock hull cuz non-existent AA, but the guns are amazing. I even managed to Yolo a Bismark and take almost half of it's health before dying. However, now that I'm looking at the next ship, the Gneisenau, I'm rather conflicted if I should skip it and proceed to the Bismark because when I looked at the free exp I've accumulated, I already have enough to research Bismark. The reason I'm considering skipping Gneis is because I already have Scharnhorst and I absolutely love that ship. As far as I know, both ships are basically similar with only the main guns being the difference, so is Gneis superior to the Scharn, or at least have something that makes it unique besides its larger caliber guns. I want to know if Gneis is a keeper, even if I already have Scharn. It it just as good as Scharn in close quarter brawls? I worry that the slow reload on the larger guns will make it less effective when going CQB unlike her sister ship.

she's faster then scrn IIRC and has the most troll AA in T7 apart from lanta/fint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Gneisenau is a keeper and sometimes Scharnhorst doesn't have the pen when using AP so Gneis can sometimes be a little more reliable in a brawl for the AP pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
656 posts
3,526 battles

Gneisenau is Beautiful, and so does Scharnhorst ( even thought i dont have it , it was the best Anti Cruiser Battlecruiser in a G Wagon ) I kept it (Gneisenau ) for years now.

Its also a excellent BB for Brawling due to deceptive armor for both of them, and so does the Torpedo Launcher thinking some people dont know those two Slender BB.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles

During the Bismarck campaign, I always felt a bit sorry for anyone who was taking the opportunity to skip the earlier KM bbs - they'd be missing a really unique and interesting experience in the Gneisenau. It's definitely a keeper, even if you already have a Scharnhorst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles

Yeap. Gneis is a keeper,   Fast enough, hits hard and has good AA.  If it set up for secondaries its irrelevant if its mains fire slower that the Scharnhorst as its secondaries spit out HE shells like wildfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
156 posts
4,055 battles

If you can afford the Bismark with free xp then go for it. I am currently grinding the Gnaisan and i find it a bit disappointing. And thats mainly because of the guns. The lack of high number of guns coupled with the RNG dependent dispersion can leave you pulling your hair at times, but at the same is extremely satisfying when you manage to land the correct hits. I have citadelled the Nagato/Colorado/Amagi at times but done 3/4 overpens on cruisers at 10km range at the same time. So its very unpredictable. The secondaries are okay-ish at 8km range. But the Gnaisan is definitely fun when the situation favors you. Its a great brawler and then the torps add to the fun even more. Not to mention one of the best BB AA's in Tier 7. 

But, to get consistent high damage in Gnaisan is difficult especially when you get pitted against T9's so often. And if you have the Scharn then you can choose to skip it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
486 posts
7,936 battles

Yes keep the Big "G"

Fun ship need to get close for the awful dispersion. Hits hard and with AR can reload a lot faster.

With more and more CVS turning up its AA is great - I love shooting down planes (hate them):cap_rambo:

128mm secondaries do good damage and have decent range, and torps  to finish off. 

It's German what more do I need to say :Smile_izmena:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
3 hours ago, drakon233 said:

she's faster then scrn IIRC and has the most troll AA in T7 apart from lanta/fint

Looked in the wiki, Scharn is still faster by almost 2kts, and has a smaller turning radius and faster rudder shift.

 

2 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Its also a excellent BB for Brawling due to deceptive armor for both of them, and so does the Torpedo Launcher thinking some people dont know those two Slender BB.

Yeah, I love the armor scheme on the Scharn, the sides are pretty tough making CQB encounters easy. I love it whenever I managed to close the distance and torp enemy BBs at 2-4km. I love them hit-n-run tactics.

2 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Yeap. Gneis is a keeper,   Fast enough, hits hard and has good AA.  If it set up for secondaries its irrelevant if its mains fire slower that the Scharnhorst as its secondaries spit out HE shells like wildfire.

I already set up my Scharn capt with secondaries build and man do they love setting off fires. Though I miss the ability to fire secondaries on both sides since I have manual secondaries skill, but at least I get more hits when in range.

2 hours ago, Kapitan_Zur_See_Hoffmann said:

It's German what more do I need to say :Smile_izmena:

Amen to that.

 

Well, I think you guys convinced me to grind through the Gneis when I unlock it. Might as well just use the free exp to fully upgrade the Bismarck when I unlock it.

:cap_yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
11 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Looked in the wiki, Scharn is still faster by almost 2kts, and has a smaller turning radius and faster rudder shift.

 

I think you got it the wrong way round - Gneisenau is 32kt and Scharnhorst is 30kt (I have both)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
13 minutes ago, Moldavia said:

I think you got it the wrong way round - Gneisenau is 32kt and Scharnhorst is 30kt (I have both)

Whoops, I just realized that I was looking at the Stock configuration. My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[LYNMF]
Member
991 posts
11,625 battles

i dont enjoy gneisenau much but still i keep her and now share commander with scharnhorst

dont play her anymore at random but bring to operation its damn fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Gneisenau

one of the most solid ship i ever play, probably even more than the upper tier KM BB based on Tier performance

Pros:

Fastest BB in the Tier

Best Long Range AA on BB

Torpedoes

Heavily Armoured on the ships port and broadside, but you still need to angle ofc

Good Secondaries

Turtleback

Cons:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG deck

Easily catch fire

Vulnerable to Torpedoes since she does not have Sonar yet, and the ship is long

6 main guns

terrible accuracy on the main guns

15 inch main guns  lacking in penetrations against enemy Battleships, (most have 16 inch)

Hans, The deck is on Fire! Again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
52 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

For me, only criteria (after looks ofc) is that the guns have to perform. No wonder I skipped Gneisenau and Izumo.

The funny thing is, Gnei has close to the best main battery hit rate of all the t7 bbs (Warships Today) undoubtedly because it's a brawler and much of its shooting is at closer ranges, although its avg dmg is not so good. Still a fun ship to play though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
268 posts
6,381 battles

If the Gneis had better main guns she would be ridiculously OP.  They are the only thing balancing her given that she has:

- speed

- armour

- AA

- wicked secondaries

- torps

- turret traverse

Ive kept mine and almost have an 18pt Captain with her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,016 posts
7,490 battles

 

15 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Gneisenau

Hard to say for anyone if Gneisenau is a keeper for you. Depends on what you like.

Gneisenau would be one of my favorite BB’s. Good secondaries and torpedoes make her quite dangerous at close range. Also speed and AA are good. Where the Scharnhorst’s 283mm AP may bounce, the Gneisenau’s 380mm AP may well penetrate. With Scharnhorst’s 9 barrels you may hit at target, when the 6 shells from Gneisenau may miss. Gneisenau’s reload is 26 sec, relatively fast for a BB, but slower than the 20 sec of Scharnhorst.

The guns make the two ships quite different, even if everything else is very similar.

When you ask me, you should *not* skip Gneisenau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
683 posts
7,358 battles

I love my Gneisenau! The guns hit hard (though dispersion will make me jump from my seat at times) good AA (and the long range AA rarely got damaged even by the end of the match, unless you run into British BB), good speed. It's fun.

I'd suggest you to keep the free XP for upgrading Bismarck stock hull upon unlocking it, AND to skip FDG.. 

For me Scharnhorst and Gneisenau played differently. Shiny horse is like a super big cruiser, while Gneisenau is a fast BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
13 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Well, I think you guys convinced me to grind through the Gneis when I unlock it. Might as well just use the free exp to fully upgrade the Bismarck when I unlock it.

Don't be too quick to splurge your fxp, you can do a bit of stock grinding in coop (maybe there'll even be a t8 scenario by then) and save it up to assist with the FdG grind. FdG feels like a bit of a come-down after Bismarck and the only really good thing about it is, at the end, you get a massive 50% increase in guns when you get GK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
10 minutes ago, Moldavia said:

Don't be too quick to splurge your fxp, you can do a bit of stock grinding in coop (maybe there'll even be a t8 scenario by then) and save it up to assist with the FdG grind. FdG feels like a bit of a come-down after Bismarck and the only really good thing about it is, at the end, you get a massive 50% increase in guns when you get GK.

Im not really planning to go up the KM BBs. I only want the Bismarck. :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles
20 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Im not really planning to go up the KM BBs. I only want the Bismarck. :cap_like:

Do yourself a favour and just buy the Derptiz then.  It does everything the Bismark does but with torps.    The KMBB line is a great line of ships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
3 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Do yourself a favour and just buy the Derptiz then.  It does everything the Bismark does but with torps.    The KMBB line is a great line of ships

If you haven't got a Misery then it's about the next best thing for printing credits too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
13 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Do yourself a favour and just buy the Derptiz then.  It does everything the Bismark does but with torps.    The KMBB line is a great line of ships

1. I don't have the cash to buy a Derpitz.

2. I don't have a job (I'm still a student)

3. It's not that I'm gonna stop at the Bismark, I will still eventually go up the tech tree, but I'm already grinding through the USN BBs (already at the Iowa)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,068 posts
3,847 battles
5 minutes ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Scharnhorst is a great ship in Co-op.....

5a8e686fecac2_ScharnhorstCo-op.thumb.PNG.102852212d7b20096f895f0a0ee907bd.PNG

Then again, so is Gneisenau....

And they are both perfect for Operation Narai!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×