You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AntifoulAwl

I say chaps, how about we build a carrier made of ice? What ho?

17 comments in this topic

481 posts
7,606 battles

I remember reading about this before somewhere... Pretty cool stuff. Just remember to keep it well away from the equator.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

the last time i heard they designed this, the carrier turn out bigger than planned and use too much steel for it to be cost efficient

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

IIRC the water was mixed with wood grind and frozen, a process which increased the durability of ice and make it somewhat resistant to damage, sounds great… until you realize water is usually in it's liquid form

1,001 posts
7,422 battles

This one pops up in "secret weapons of WWII" type documentaries.

If I remember correctly, this was intended to be an artificial island, rather than a carrier that would keep up with a fleet of surface ships. You know, a floating airfield to start planes in the middle of the Atlantic to fight German U-boats. The material is "pykrete” and is not pure ice.

Considering the displacement/mass, wonder what the speed could have been achieved with the engines available then?

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,281 posts
2 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

If I remember correctly, this was intended to be an artificial island, rather than a carrier that would keep up with a fleet of surface ships. You know, a floating airfield to start planes in the middle of the Atlantic to fight German U-boats. The material is "pykrete” and is not pure ice.

Considering the displacement/mass, wonder what the speed could have been achieved with the engines available then?

Probably not enough to keep up with the convoy's.

Then again, they did only travel at the pace of the slowest ship.....

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,548 battles
18 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

IIRC the water was mixed with wood grind and frozen, a process which increased the durability of ice and make it somewhat resistant to damage, sounds great… until you realize water is usually in it's liquid form

it's actually not that hard to find massive iceburgs in the atlantic, the idea was to simply salvage these iceburgs and use them to enforce the existing part+using a airconditioning system

and then they realized that a engine generates a shitton of heat:cap_win:

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,548 battles
2 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

kind of like what the IJN wanted to try with shinano, designed as more of a "repair, resupply and floating bunker" type of platform if it had actually worked, which it didnt

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

And the German's aren't dummkopfs either.

They would have worked out a way to counter it.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,281 posts
6 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

And the German's aren't dummkopfs either.

They would have worked out a way to counter it.

Flammenwerfer ships....

maybe...

2,217 posts
13,673 battles
6 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

It's all in there. I think they said about 6-7knots. What amazed me most is they said the model they made (60mtrs long or something) only took 1hp to keep frozen. That didn't sound right to me.

1,001 posts
7,422 battles
14 hours ago, keskparane said:

It's all in there. I think they said about 6-7knots.

In the video linked above? I didn’t watch that. From what remember, the original Pykrete platform was meant to be stationary. Anyway, they scrapped the plan, like many other weird ideas.