You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

Few questions about DD

24 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,630 battles

Haii ,

So I finally decided to give a try to DDs. Have been playing with CVs for a while but now thought to give it a change . Started with IJN DD . Just wanted to know if I must look for isolated BBs , hunt in groups or what . And please also tell me what is the best distance to torp enemy if my torpedo range is like 7km . I guess 5 - 6 km is fair enough distance for parking my dd in smoke ?

Many thanks

Super Tester
7,546 posts
7,993 battles
Just now, ROFLSaurusRex said:

Haii ,

So I finally decided to give a try to DDs. Have been playing with CVs for a while but now thought to give it a change . Started with IJN DD . Just wanted to know if I must look for isolated BBs , hunt in groups or what . And please also tell me what is the best distance to torp enemy if my torpedo range is like 7km . I guess 5 - 6 km is fair enough distance for parking my dd in smoke ?

Many thanks

This is very hard to tell without knowing more. IJN DDs have good concealment, you basically do your best to stay concealed and spot others. Capping is your most priority, you outspot enemy DDs and you try to keep them spotted for your team to shoot but you maintain enough distance to not get spotted yourself. Having said that, you should never just yolo in cap if you think you will get murdered or enemy has overwhelming support, then you just keep pushing them back with your torps from safe distance.

About torping, IJN tech tree torps are slow now, if enemy are turning away, don't bother wasting your torps, if they are pushing, you  can even dump them from further than 7 km since they will close the gaps.

One last thing, if you have never played DD, I doubt IJN DDs is the best as a starting point.

165 posts
3,630 battles
2 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

One last thing, if you have never played DD, I doubt IJN DDs is the best as a starting point.

Then tell me which line . LOL I play DD a lot but that is on WoW  blitz.

Super Tester
7,546 posts
7,993 battles
16 minutes ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

Then tell me which line . LOL I play DD a lot but that is on WoW  blitz.

Oh, that means you have experience with DDs. So I think you will do well with IJN too.

For beginners, i'd say US DDs are the first one to start. You need to learn the DDs that hunt down IJN DDs, so that you know better what to do when you are in IJN DDs. Just my opinion though.

165 posts
3,630 battles
57 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

For beginners, i'd say US DDs are the first one to start. You need to learn the DDs that hunt down IJN DDs, so that you know better what to do when you are in IJN DDs. Just my opinion though.

Thanks man . But I guess I got a hang of IJN DD . played a dozen battle from tier 2 onwards and now I am able to rekt atleast 1 ship per mach.Max was 4. Love hunting CVs kinda sick thrill LMFAO . Btw which IJN line is torpedo boats I am on tier 4 rn .

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
53 minutes ago, MissMeMiss said:

I think getting rekt 100 (or 500) times with DD (that have much better guns than your pitiful peashooters)  will give you much more insight than asking people around about DD. :Smile_teethhappy:

fixed :cap_cool:

273 posts
1,220 battles

I suggest you go for usn dd up to fletcher then you will have no problems playing other nation dd lines

Super Tester
7,546 posts
7,993 battles
8 hours ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

Thanks man . But I guess I got a hang of IJN DD . played a dozen battle from tier 2 onwards and now I am able to rekt atleast 1 ship per mach.Max was 4. Love hunting CVs kinda sick thrill LMFAO . Btw which IJN line is torpedo boats I am on tier 4 rn .

The thing is, a lot of mind games are involved in DD plays. Confidence and situational awareness are must. If you are confident with your skills, then you probably will do fine. I never really played IJN DDs, but I dont find them hard to play at all.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Indeed that if you want begin to play DD, USN is the best choice, since they have everything that other nation have, from firepower, gun handling, ok concealment, best smoke and good torpedo at tier 7+.

Kriegsmarine line also good choice and very solid with hydro.

IJN is currently kinda underpower since WG mess with them to much, i would recommended if you have some experience with how to torpedo and scouting since they have no brawling potential except for Akizuki and Yuugumo.:cap_book:

VMF line is more supporting DD, it quite hard to play in my opinion.

Not sure about PA line, but they have some very good ship that worth to try like tier 4 and tier 7.

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

165 posts
3,630 battles
28 minutes ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

IJN is currently kinda underpower since WG mess with them to much

I dont think they are underpowered . For a player like me who just lurks for a while and do a surprise torp salvo just rekts enemy by surprise .

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
28 minutes ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

I dont think they are underpowered . For a player like me who just lurks for a while and do a surprise torp salvo just rekts enemy by surprise .

yeah it works until mid tier

too bad it wont be same for higher tier

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

KM from 6+ have hydro, it makes them god-like if you know what you're doing.

Lol Yang is king of DDs tier-for-tier though.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

As a Destroyer, your main objectives is to hunt down enemy DDs, and secure cap zones, often you dont exactly have to destroy enemy BB directly just by yourself. One BB cannot just push alone when there is a destroyer upfront.

For Random game mode, you should start with USNDD first, you will learn when to engage or not, how to aim, usage with islands, different means to approach cap zone. Also, fewer handicaps because the usable guns, longer smoke, starting from mid tiers, the USN torpedo is better than others and DFAA consumable will save your life from CV.

In short, IJNDD is for the more competitive scenario like Ranked Battles or Clan Battles.

I have played all the destroyers in this game, I can tell the USNDD is the all-around ship here.

Edited by R3negade

1,011 posts
7,464 battles
18 hours ago, ROFLSaurusRex said:

And please also tell me what is the best distance to torp enemy if my torpedo range is like 7km . I guess 5 - 6 km is fair enough distance for parking my dd in smoke ?

A very successful IJN DD captain from WWII said he believes torpedos should be fire from less than 5km.

In the game, firing torpedos from stealth is probably more important than getting closer than 5km, but you want to be as close as possible.

The following is important for IJN DD’s:

·         Cap, but don’t get killed doing it

·         Spot, but don’t get spotted

·         Learn how to manoeuvre yourself into good positions

·         You want to shoot your torps at the broadside at ships

·         Torps fired at a ship head-on are easily evaded (but when you are chased, you may do that anyway)

·         Torps fired at a ship steaming away rarely hit

For IJN DD’s this is more difficult, but with the DD’s of some nations, you fire your torps and wait for the hit, then you give it a few moments, so the BB captain can hit Repair Party to stop flooding. (There will be a flooding ribbon.) Then you start firing HE to set him on fire. That way, you do a lot of fire damage, on top of torpedo damage. With IJN guns, unfortunately setting a ship on fire isn’t easy.

It's not easy for a DD to sink a full health BB.

About killing CVs. While you sneak around and hunt the enemy CV, the enemy DD’s may take the caps and your team may lose by points. So look at the map and see what happens.

A DD’s can earn a lot of XP by spotting (that’s planes & torpedos as well as ships) and capping. And in many games capping is essential for your team to win.

Learn to cap, learn to spot, as well as learn not to be spotted. And of course, learn how to hit ships with torpedos and guns.

After a while, you learn to anticipate where enemy ships may go, so when you have no better target, you shoot a salvo or two where you think they may go, rather than using the torpedo aiming ark. Quite satisfying to suddenly see the ribbon for a torpedo hit, sometime later. The other day I had a bit of cat & mouse with a New Orleans, he guarded a cap and did this strange thing coming out from behind an island, firing a few salvos and then going back behind the island. I noticed the pattern and shot a few torp salvos so they just skimmed past the island. And guess what, I got him, hehe.

I would agree that starting with the US line is a good idea, good fun ships to play. Good guns, good smoke, just good all-around DD’s. T6 Farragut is a great fun DD, from T7 Mahan you get 9.2km torps, however, those are a bit slow. You’ll notice USN gunboats play quite different from of IJN stealth torpedo boats.

980 posts
12,617 battles

On an unrelated note, I would like to say that my DD win rate last weekend has been balanced by many many sets of random torps. 

Good on you, 200% weekend, good on you. 

411 posts
6,164 battles

I've only played Pan Asian DDs so far(started from t6, now in t9) and I would highly recommend them(at least from t6 onward). Fu Shun is fun, good guns and pretty fast reloading torps, pew pew BBs(fire chance is insane), Gadjah Mada is OP:cap_haloween:, T8-10 are basically USN DDs with DW torps and better concealment. Hsienyang was a solid experience for me, torping is a bliss. Only 30ish matches in Chung Mu, still trying to get hang of it, managed to get several 100k+ games with it, torping is even better( 10.5 km range and with skills, upgrades and mods, reload comes down to 90s which is amazing)

For the other lines, tried Gaede a few times...quite strong if you get the opportunity to use hydro( which will get godly at t9-10), smoke is very short duration but still workable, concealment BAD, needs a lot of strategic play...will start grinding after completing PA line

Also, on a side note, try to get Radio Location as your second t4 skill for ships t7+, a very powerful skill that gives you tonnes of info.

Edited by _TAMAL_