Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

What happened to preferential T7 MM?

14 comments in this topic

315 posts
4,634 battles

A few months ago it was so obvious as to be memeworthy: people were buying T7 premiums specifically because they saw more T5-7 than T7-9 matches in randoms, so ships like Scharnhorst in particular enjoyed an easy time of it.

In the last week at least I've been consistently uptiered with both T6 and T7 ships, T6 seeing T6-8 the majority of the time now, but also now with my Myoko and Colorado being put in T7-9 about 60-70% of the time, T6-8 20%, and T5-7 about once every 10th match. It's different, I'll say that much.

I'm wondering if WG tweaked the algorithm, or if it's just me being put in the "hard room" for some reason?

[edit: this is not a complaint. The IJN cruisers Aoba and Myoko I normally play respond positively to being uptiered .... i'm just curious by how suddenly the change happened.]

Edited by Rina_Pon

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,478 battles

um, I'm pretty sure 'preferential T7 MM ' never existed. Rather T7 indirectly benefits from when WG stopped T4 seeing anything higher than T5 as more T6 ships got bumpedinto T7 games and higher.

T6 always has been the victim of the changes to T4 match making.

I'd say it is just match maker RNG trolling you.

1,484 posts

Me thinks its just that more people these days tend to want to play ships higher than t5-6, namely t8 & above, & it appears to me that the lower tiers population has mostly moved higher, doing missions, campaigns etc.. (& generally thumb their noses at playing lower tiers because it's now beneath them).... 

So MM "makes up the difference", so we can still play.... 

Thats my theory anyway.... 

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

1,333 posts
8,823 battles

Tier 7 never received preferential MM.

It only seemed that way because not enough people were playing the high tiers.

Tier 8s were mostly being dragged up to populate the tier 9-10 games.

That left the tier 7s to be top tier most of the time - hence the false impression that they have preferential MM.

My guess is that there are more players playing high tiers now.

Edited by Thyaliad

Super Tester
2,725 posts

No such thing as preferential MM in T5 and above. The MM rules are the same.

Getting into a match as highest, middle, or lowest tier ship of the team is depending on the number of players who queued-in their ship and how fast MM decides or come up with a team line up for a match.

315 posts
4,634 battles

Hmm ... maybe "preferential" means something specific to you guys other than I intended?

I was talking about the increased likelihood that T7 ships will be top tier in random battles. There's quite a lot of compiled data posted on reddit showing that T7 and T10 (natch) have the most favorable MM, and T5 and T8 have the worst, i.e. most likely to be T-2 in random battles.

The cause, I presume, was the high number of T10 ships in queue, which sucked all the T8 and T9 ships into T8-10 matches. That left only T6 and T5 for the T7 ships to play against. 

It's been consistently like this for months, but suddenly no longer seems to hold true.

[thinks] Ah! Possible reason: start of clan wars? T10's all finding something else to do besides randoms?

Edited by Rina_Pon

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

Hmm ... maybe "preferential" means something specific to you guys other than I intended?

I was talking about the increased likelihood that T7 ships will be top tier in random battles. There's quite a lot of compiled data posted on reddit showing that T7 and T10 (natch) have the most favorable MM, and T5 and T8 have the worst, i.e. most likely to be T-2 in random battles.

The cause, I presume, was the high number of T10 ships in queue, which sucked all the T8 and T9 ships into T8-10 matches. That left only T6 and T5 for the T7 ships to play against. 

It's been consistently like this for months, but suddenly no longer seems to hold true.

[thinks] Ah! Possible reason: start of clan wars? T10's all finding something else to do besides randoms?

Not really. It's all your luck. T7 has a huge playerbase because of having the highest number of *fun* ships. But it all depends on what mm needs and what it grabs from the queue. Preferential means the same to all of us as you meant. But there is no special *likelihood* from game's side, it's all because of availability of players on ship classes.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Just think of it this way, there are tens or hundreds of MM rooms running at the same time. The longer a room waits the higher priority it gets. So if a t9 room has been waiting for a longer than a t7 room, it can drag some t7 ships from the queue to fill the slot. For those t7 ships, there were great number of other t5-t7 in queue to match up with, but sadly they got dragged to t9 room, because, the queue, as it's very nature, is first come first served.

315 posts
4,634 battles

Still though, how "unfavorable" the T7 MM appears to be will depend on how many unmatched T9 are waiting around vs. how many T5 are in the same position right?

A change to the distribution of ship tier populations should change the MM outcome. Fewer T10 would leave more T9 in the queue, so T7 ships are more likely to be paired up with them.

203 posts
11,788 battles

I'm more than happy to sums it all up why you felt you have it back then.

Before the MM change everybody spams tier 5 as their "Perfect Balance" tier to play having both a great time and bad time equally and so the population focused on tier 5.
After the MM change Tier 5 at the best will meet tier 4 while having more chance facing ships of equal tiers and higher tiers....the same applies to tier 6.
To make thing worse Tier 6 is also the only tier having access to Scenario mode to skip the grind all the way to tier 7.
Tier 7 still having same kind of MM it has to deal with so this is where a new "Perfectly Balance" tier to play having both a great time and bad time equally is now shifted here.
The problem rises as everybody don't care about tier 5 anymore, Nobody likes playing as the "bottom tier ship" and if you try you have to play bottom tier ship in the sea of higher tier ship.
WIth the absence of tier 5 players MM struggles finding a game having a tier 5 as a bottom tier for tier 7s.

Devs could try what they did with MM for their tank game the MM of fixed Bottom-Mid-Top tiered ships (3-5-7, 10-5) it might look as a bad idea since you could see what happen in that tank game.
For this game is not that bad of a idea because of how this game works, we can only "hope" for that day though.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I think the main reason of why the Tier 7 start to get bottom tiered, it because such ship depends on player base that rather play at tier 10 ships than the tier 9

Such as

• Shimakaze > Yugumo
  • GK > FDG
  • Yamato > Izumo
  • Zao > Ibuki
  • Des Moines > Baltimore
  • Montana > Iowa
  • etc.

but recently, a ship such as Musashi and Missouri become much more frequent, making the the MM filled with these player rather than tier 10

dragging the tier 7 player with to their top tier match

315 posts
4,634 battles
2 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

I think the main reason of why the Tier 7 start to get bottom tiered, it because such ship depends on player base that rather play at tier 10 ships than the tier 9 [...]

but recently, a ship such as Musashi and Missouri become much more frequent, making the the MM filled with these player rather than tier 10

dragging the tier 7 player with to their top tier match

That also fits. Fewer T10 ships in queue will the result will be more T7-9 matches, for whatever reason causes the reduction of T10 ships the result will be the same. 

Alternatively, this can all be tweaked on the MM algorithm side. T10 could be made to pair up with other T10 exclusively, or try to "grab" available T8-9 wherever possible. The less "grabby" the MM algorithm at T10, the more T8-9 will be left over to pair up with T7.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Lots of things have changed from what we used to have in terms of MM. And this is sort of like chain reaction, or, a domino effect. You make some change to a tier, it affects the next one, so on and so forth.

For example strict mirror matching for CVs, Strict top tier matching for BBs/CAs, restriction on division tier difference, restriction on division number difference, protected MM for new players etc.

Tier 5 was the go-to tier for people trying to farm credits. Then tier 5 MM got changed to -1/+2. It would not be a lot of issue, but a lot of tier 5 ships got nerfed to oblivion, and manual control for CVs got removed.

This forced majority players to move up to t7. Sure you have -2/+2 for t7s too, but they are capable of dealing with t9s much better than t5s to t7s. Having the most number of good ships at t7, clearly the playerbase is bigger, and a lot of t7s in queue would have a huge chance to become top tier or mid tier. Because the changes on t5s also shifted the bias to higher tiers and lesser chance to be top tier.

Now what changed recently? Clan battles? Many players are now focused on getting their tier 10s. People grinding high tier ships have increased dramatically. If you have noticed MM last few days for tx, only few battleships in queue. Because of limited slots in CB, it forced players to grind out there cruisers.

Look at recent mission requirements, campaigns, emblem farming, all asks for t8+ ships.

Next, scenarios pull out a lot of players from t6 and t7. Economic changes are a factor too. Playerbase have gotten better and recent economic changes rewards aggressive and good plays at higher tiers. That was one of the things kept people away from high tiers.

These small things, tied together, shifts around the playerbase availability for certain tiers and creates sort of MM trends. But I can tell you this much, the trends aren't permanent.

I think now we have enough people to add a preferential -1/+1 MM from tier 2 and up for peak hours. Or, 12v12 could be changed to 10v10 to free up players for other rooms.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this