You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

New french campaign

47 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Update 0.7.2 ushers in a new campaign called "The Gold of France".

This is a limited-duration campaign that will only be available until the release of Update 0.7.3. The missions of the campaign will be subject to certain theme-specific restrictions: the first task of each mission can be tried with any ship of Tier V and above in Random Battles; the second one will require a French ship of Tier VI and above, the third one will be available for the French destroyer Aigle, and for the fourth task you’ll need a French battleship of Tier VIII or above.

Hmm forcing players to buy the Aigle just so they can complete the "The Gold of France" Campaign?? which is a "limited-duration campaign"...... Not cool WG not cool at all.
Even making players grind or use free XP (convert XP with real money) just to be able to get a tier 8 French BB is pushing it a bit far don't you think?

354 posts
9,048 battles

I suppose you can just repeat task 1 until you've got enough stars to complete the mission.

I'm feeling a bit campaigned-out, so I might just pass on  this one.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles
2 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

Hmm forcing players to buy the Aigle just so they can complete the "The Gold of France" Campaign?? which is a "limited-duration campaign"...... Not cool WG not cool at all.
Even making players grind or use free XP (convert XP with real money) just to be able to get a tier 8 French BB is pushing it a bit far don't you think?

They're giving you the Aigle for free for completing some relatively simple missions.  You can complete everything without spending a cent.  Most people who get all the free 'Vive la France' containers will get a head start on the French BB grind as well, and a few fortunate ones will even have the T8 already.  I'm honestly not seeing the validity of your complaint here.

1,490 posts
22 hours ago, Moldavia said:

I suppose you can just repeat task 1 until you've got enough stars to complete the mission.

I'm feeling a bit campaigned-out, so I might just pass on  this one.

Same, the DoY campaign really took it out of me so I haven't been playing as much, so I may pass as well. 

Ordrazz

1,011 posts
7,471 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 11:33 AM, yobbo1972 said:

I hear what you say.

In the “Hunt the Bismarck” campaign, you had an advantage when you bought Hood, but you could do without it.

An entire stage you can do only with one particular premium ship means people have to buy the ship unless they win it during the Aigle marathon. A T8 BB from a brand new line means many players are likely out chip out doubloons to convert XP to FXP to move through the French BB tree faster.

I guess WG always did that, but here it is blatantly obvious WG designed the mission to maximize their revenue.

However, just because the shop has candy does not mean we have to buy and eat it.

1,011 posts
7,471 battles
1 minute ago, yobbo1972 said:

yeah making players buy a ship to do a campaign is totally wrong and stage 3 requires you to have the French DD.

You don't "have to buy" anything, you can just skip the mission/campaign or whatever.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

yes this is true 

you don't have to do the campaigns etc  

But those who want to do them will have to get the DD via winning it or buying it

WG will be hoping most players will do it and thus buy the ship.

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,256 battles
4 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

yeah making players buy a ship to do a campaign is totally wrong and stage 3 requires you to have the French DD.

No it doesn't, the third task of each stage requies Aigle, the other three tasks do not. 

And as with every single campaign in the game, tasks are repeatable.

Edited by Webba84

1,011 posts
7,471 battles
21 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

But those who want to do them will have to get the DD via winning it or buying it

The ones that have taken the bait, yes, I guess.

683 posts
7,358 battles
20 hours ago, Pocket_Fox said:

So many grindy campaigns so close, uughhh gameplay fatigue. And timed too!

But Uni, I have things to do and assignments >.<

I really agree with you. suddenly there are so many events one following another. Yeah it will increase number of players as less active players might spend more time to try to benefit from events, but sooner or later, all will burn out, even those regular players. Personally I felt burnt out as well.

I stop caring about getting Aigle via those "18 mission' marathon. I find Richelieu kinda fun for now, thus might still try to grind the French campaign to get the camo.

but truely, to get the French campaign done relatively easier, one must spend quite some time/money/efforts though...

273 posts
23,630 battles

you don't need to buy the Aigle to do any stage. Its one mission per stage out of 4 which is Aigle specific. 

Missions can be completed on Co-op or Scenario mode as well. Its super easy to do. 

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,866 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 7:20 AM, Moldavia said:

Yup.

I wonder for those who buy the Aigle..is it worth it? Havent had a chance to try 1..but from some review it doesnt amplify my interest to spend money to get it?

[DIY]
65 posts
5,400 battles

Well time to play my La Glassionaire.

But seriously, if this is going to be like Duke of York, I might abandon it. Duke of York last day I have to stay up to 2 AM just to get her... Is it worth it? Well at least she didn't have to suffer the same fate like Kamikaze R did.

1,342 posts
8,858 battles
11 hours ago, RimauLaut said:

Yup.

I wonder for those who buy the Aigle..is it worth it? Havent had a chance to try 1..but from some review it doesnt amplify my interest to spend money to get it?

Well to put it simply, the Aigle plays like a Khaba at Tier 6. It is more like a CL than a DD. You have good damage guns and high HP but rather poor concealment for a DD. The Aigle is definitely a gunboat so if you like that playstyle go for it.

Its pros are extremely high HP pool for a T6 DD (higher than some T8 DDs), a 43+ knot top speed with Speed Boost (which gives +20% instead of +8%) and a high base HE fire chance of 9%  on top of the already great guns. The 43 knots means you can speed tank in the Aigle like a Khaba. Expect to set a lot of fires on BBs with this thing - I don't have DE yet on my captain but I am already setting fires on BBs every few volleys. And the high HP pool means that you will usually win a gunfight with other DDs unless they get a lucky torp hit on you.

But it does have its drawbacks though. Your gun and torpedo arcs are terrible - you will need to expose a nearly full broadside in order to fire all 5 guns. Plus you have pretty bad turret traverse, so the Aigle will be at a disadvantage in knife-fight situations. Her shell arcs aren't very good either - not as bad as the floaty USN DDs but still not good either. You will struggle to hit anything except a BB at max range so don't bother with AFT. Torpedoes are alright - they do very good damage but due to your terrible concealment you will not be stealth-torping at all unless enemies are pushing into you. And due to the poor concealment it is unlikely you will be able to solo-cap, though if the enemy DD has no support you can easily charge him down and kill him by yourself and cap after. Also you have worthless AA and very poor turning radius, so you will extremely vulnerable to CVs.

Oh and apparently IFHE is bugged on this ship - no idea if or when WG will fix this.

Imo once you get past the poor gun arcs and the bad turret traverse the Aigle is a pretty fun ship, though it may not be for everybody. Plus it does require its own dedicated captain so it is not very useful as a Captain trainer. But personally I have absolutely no regrets buying the Aigle, and for those who didn't buy it, do try to complete the Aigle campaign so that you can get yours for free. It is definitely worth the trouble. Imo it is way better than the DoY.

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,931 battles

How is this different from the Duke of York quest chain? You had to do an entire quest chain to get a DoY then that allowed you to do another quest chain, this time with lots of T6 ships as rewards.

Or you could shell out the cash for the DoY and go straight to the quest chain with the better results.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,866 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Imo once you get past the poor gun arcs and the bad turret traverse the Aigle is a pretty fun ship, though it may not be for everybody. Plus it does require its own dedicated captain so it is not very useful as a Captain trainer. But personally I have absolutely no regrets buying the Aigle, and for those who didn't buy it, do try to complete the Aigle campaign so that you can get yours for free. It is definitely worth the trouble. Imo it is way better than the DoY.

Nice info.. I am no doubt will try to complete the Aigle campaign.

354 posts
9,048 battles
3 hours ago, kon_thai said:

Well time to play my La Glassionaire.

But seriously, if this is going to be like Duke of York, I might abandon it. Duke of York last day I have to stay up to 2 AM just to get her... Is it worth it? Well at least she didn't have to suffer the same fate like Kamikaze R did.

I've been using La Glassionaire (which I got from the New Year campaign, along with De Grasse from a free Xmas crate drop). I've finished the 1st mission by grinding out 1.2M credits 3 times and intend doing the same for the ribbons and exp missions - all in coop, but if I can grind through La Glass, I should be able to do some or all of the exp mission using Algerie in the Hermes operation which would be much faster.

It's a bit of a pain but not as bad as the DoY campaign.

318 posts
6,868 battles
19 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

you don't need to buy the Aigle to do any stage. Its one mission per stage out of 4 which is Aigle specific. 

Missions can be completed on Co-op or Scenario mode as well. Its super easy to do. 

Correction. None of the new French Missions can be completed in Scenario mode, which is a shame though. 

273 posts
1,220 battles
6 hours ago, Moldavia said:

I've been using La Glassionaire (which I got from the New Year campaign, along with De Grasse from a free Xmas crate drop). I've finished the 1st mission by grinding out 1.2M credits 3 times and intend doing the same for the ribbons and exp missions - all in coop, but if I can grind through La Glass, I should be able to do some or all of the exp mission using Algerie in the Hermes operation which would be much faster.

It's a bit of a pain but not as bad as the DoY campaign.

I am still contemplating whether is it worth the grind for that gold cammo...kind of tiring using a bloody t6 La Glassboat...mission 3 grinding total 60k xp :cap_fainting::cap_fainting:

354 posts
9,048 battles
5 hours ago, Kamanah said:

Correction. None of the new French Missions can be completed in Scenario mode, which is a shame though. 

Bugger, that's thrown my well thought out plan into the wastebasket :Smile_sad:

4 hours ago, Hey_Potato said:

I am still contemplating whether is it worth the grind for that gold cammo...kind of tiring using a bloody t6 La Glassboat...mission 3 grinding total 60k xp :cap_fainting::cap_fainting:

Looks like another DoY style grind through 90k exp for 3rd mission. Thanks WG.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,495 battles

Didn't the DOY campaign have 5 stages? So yes, there is some yrrrghh grind here, but it's not as bad as the DOY I feel.

163 posts
7,901 battles

If you have premium + Richelieu this is the easiest campaign ever.  Finished this Sunday afternoon.

With premium just select tasks 1, 2 and 4.

1. Just play Richelieu, add all the money flags, use your best credit camo

2. Put in secondary module, spec AFT and manual secondaries if you can.  In CO-OP you can usually get at least 100 ribbons in 7 minutes.  In an up-tiered game, or a game with lots of BB's you can get 200+.  May as well go for 1500 ribbons which knocks out mission 2 as well.  Then just grind out the other 300 ribbons needed for mission 1 with a Minotaur, Belfast, Kutzy, Harakaze or Akazuki, or somehting with RoF.

3.  Well it was a 100% weekend.  Put on all the best camo and flags, 2-3 wins should net you the 40K needed for mission 3 which also completes mission1 and 2.

Do the finals in CO-OP for the 7 minute completions.

On another note, I entered the Crossfit games this year.  Managed under 10 minutes for the 18.2a workout on Saturday :-)  Very happy.

https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/open/2018/2