You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

Can you torp yourself when not in a CV?

21 comments in this topic

425 posts

I've been wondering and in 1 ship of mine, (Duca T6) I've had more than one close call in almost torping myself in the ship.  Is it actually possible for you to torp yourself in any ship? 

With the Duca, she has good forward angles, great ship speed, and slow torps.  I've been tempted to try and see if I could actually do it, but never had the guts. Does anyone know for sure?

(Also, if you can torp yourself, would you be a team killer pink status?)  

354 posts
9,048 battles
1 minute ago, BunnyDragon said:

I've been wondering and in 1 ship of mine, (Duca T6) I've had more than one close call in almost torping myself in the ship.  Is it actually possible for you to torp yourself in any ship? 

With the Duca, she has good forward angles, great ship speed, and slow torps.  I've been tempted to try and see if I could actually do it, but never had the guts. Does anyone know for sure?

My 1st tk happened that way - can't remember the details, but it was a low tier ijn dd and I think speed boost was active.

Very embarrassing and it took a few moments to realize what had happened.

Yes, it does make you go pink.

1,496 posts

Yes, ive seen a dd try to tk one of our own team mates bb, launch torps, went around bb to try to torp on other side, but bb avoided them so dd ended up running into his own torps & tk'ed himself... 

Ordrazz

2,222 posts
13,730 battles

AFAIK slowest torps are umikaze 44 knots. You would need a ship that can go at least 39 knots without speed boost or signals (and then it would have to be running both speed boost and signals). I can't see it happening. All the ships that go that fast have even faster torps.

425 posts
19 minutes ago, keskparane said:

AFAIK slowest torps are umikaze 44 knots. You would need a ship that can go at least 39 knots without speed boost or signals (and then it would have to be running both speed boost and signals). I can't see it happening. All the ships that go that fast have even faster torps.

Still, I will continue to use caution when trying to double torp in the Duca, as  I suffer from lag issues from time to time.  Don't want lag to catch up and play odd s*&t on me.  

Thank you all for the feedback on this.  Glad to know it's not just me worried or actually having experienced this in one way or another.  

Safe torping out there. 

[DIY]
65 posts
5,411 battles

Well, back in old day you can torps yourself when you slide yourself on edge of the map.

Now? I don't think so.

411 posts
6,164 battles
5 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

I watched a video once where a dd tried to torp a nearby BB while hugging the border at near full speed and get dragged by the border while his torps launched from behind him, armed and killed him:Smile_teethhappy: sure, it's rare but was hilarious to watch...can't find the link right now.

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles
16 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

ummmm, quick question......

WHY?! would you even think about torp-ing yourself?:cap_wander:

[WOWMY]
[WOWMY]
Beta Tester
16 posts
11,271 battles

In order to torp yourself, first you need to be fast enough to overtake your torps so they will hit you when you are in front of them. I dont think there is any ship in the game fast enough to outrun their own torps.

58 posts
3,225 battles
1 hour ago, Spotter said:

sometimes when youre already dissapointed before starting of battle and after clicking battle button you get to see 3x3 VOR divisions in enemy team + your team isnt even close to cap where youll even think that if you cap you might get fire support + your team yamato division shooting HE at enemy team using range mod and spotter+ aside those divisions enemy team has two asashios and your team fletcher gets detonated by asashio shot + 3 afk top tier temmate.

what else would you do?

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles
9 minutes ago, HawkPotato said:

sometimes when youre already dissapointed before starting of battle and after clicking battle button you get to see 3x3 VOR divisions in enemy team + your team isnt even close to cap where youll even think that if you cap you might get fire support + your team yamato division shooting HE at enemy team using range mod and spotter+ aside those divisions enemy team has two asashios and your team fletcher gets detonated by asashio shot + 3 afk top tier temmate.

what else would you do?

I would take that an opportunity to learn from them instead of being frustrated. What are the chances of getting such bad scenario? I would say very very low. Just farm other stats, like damage, kills, plane kills etc.

2,222 posts
13,730 battles
49 minutes ago, HawkPotato said:

what else would you do?

Hmm a pissed off dd. Have you seen this? 

58 posts
3,225 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I would take that an opportunity to learn from them instead of being frustrated. What are the chances of getting such bad scenario? I would say very very low. Just farm other stats, like damage, kills, plane kills etc.

well, everyone doesnt have same mind. thats why i didnt forget to say this:

3 hours ago, HawkPotato said:

sometimes when youre already dissapointed before starting of battle

425 posts
6 hours ago, Spotter said:

This.

5 hours ago, drakon233 said:

memes

Also, why not see if you could do it once?

425 posts
5 hours ago, DausHMS said:

In order to torp yourself, first you need to be fast enough to overtake your torps so they will hit you when you are in front of them. I dont think there is any ship in the game fast enough to outrun their own torps.

What about turning into your torps?  The times when it almost happens and scares the crap out of me is when I plan on double side torping with the Duca and my connection is a bit laggy. Torp on the extreme front most angle, while turning into them to get the other side out.

Also, torps have to take time to accelerate too, like ships? Or do they have instant max speed?

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles
2 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

What about turning into your torps?  The times when it almost happens and scares the crap out of me is when I plan on double side torping with the Duca and my connection is a bit laggy. Torp on the extreme front most angle, while turning into them to get the other side out.

Also, torps have to take time to accelerate too, like ships? Or do they have instant max speed?

Instant max speed. just the delay to touch the water. And you cannot turn fast enough, even if you can, torps will not arm.

1,028 posts
7,503 battles

Unless someone can show me replay that shows a non-CV-ship torping itself, I don't believe anyone here who said they done it or seen it, sorry. It may have looked like that, but there is the simple fact that the slowest torpedo is still faster than the fastest ship. How could you ever catch up to your own torpedo? Also, keep in mind, torpedos need a certain distance to arm. Feel free to share a replay to convince me otherwise.

The story of running around a BB and catching your own torps on the other side, sorry, that must have been torps from another source, not your own.