You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mortem76

Why those T9 BB are so rubbish

65 comments in this topic

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

Hi All,

I played with lot of fun German and Japanese BB up to Tier 8. But when reaching Tier 9, they feel absolutely pitiful.

I upgraded the FDG and the Izumo to the maximum and still, absolutely horrible. After 190 batte with FDG and 70 with Izumo, I am really wondering what are those rubbish things...

I had much more success and fun facing Yamato or Montana with my Bismark than with FDG. How can this be possible?!?

Big + of FDG is her armor and big 420mm guns. Really? I receive Citadel really often at mid-range and my 420mm shell bounce of go through ship on broadside. And many times, when I do a penetration, it is with zero damage. Yes, absolutely zero! This is total non sense: Penetration should mean damage.

Big + of Izumo: its precision. Really? Sending salvo to a broadside Missouri at 12km and 2/3 of the shell go too far and 2/3 go too close. Can't even think about doing citadel with a so great grouping of the shell. I can only hope for a shell to miraculously land on the target.

I don't ask to have something astonishing, but at least something that make me wish to play them a bit more. I start feeling disgusted by this game due to all this non-sense.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

WG wants you to spend real money to convert XP that you have earned   into so called free XP so you can free XP past those bad ships.

every tech tree has at lest one really bad ship designed to frustrate players and get them to free XP past them.

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

So what went int eh silly brains of WG to make T9 worst than T8 or even T7? I still try to understand the logic or they are just trying to make us stop playing this game and go look elsewhere...

980 posts
12,617 battles

Don't worry my friend - tier 9 BBs are very hard to play in Tier 10 battles, it is difficult for everyone. Tier 10 actually teaches you how to play tier 9s.

Izumo actually has very good guns and I personally enjoyed them. However, it eats HE like children at McDonald's. 

FDG is extremely difficult now due to the Royal Navy battleships and it only having 8 guns - a grosser kurfurst has 50% more firepower. Massive difference! 

Try to learn as much as you can and practice as much as you can at Tier 9 - it will prepare you for tier 10.

Edited by LordTyphoon

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

Japanese has more than one bad apple in the BB tree: Kawachi, Miyogi and I would maybe add the Kongo due to its horrible precision. of cousre, Izumo must be added to that.

German BB has only one average before FDG: Bayern but it was not a bad ship, just - imho - below the trend provided by the other German tree.

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

If I follow this logic, playing Bismark or Amagi against T10 would be impossible. But I had better result with those T8 against T10 than with those T9 against the same T10.

So I think those T9 make you learn how to hate them with great passion...

415 posts
10,918 battles
14 minutes ago, yobbo1972 said:

WG wants you to spend real money to convert XP that you have earned   into so called free XP so you can free XP past those bad ships.

every tech tree has at lest one really bad ship designed to frustrate players and get them to free XP past them.

There's the answer right there.

606 posts
7,614 battles

for FDG, go for the 406mm

Is way more easier to use than the 420mm

Faster reload and the velocity is abit faster by 10m/s

Find it way more consistent

Edited by Gummilicious

354 posts
9,048 battles
1 hour ago, Mortem76 said:

Hi All,

I played with lot of fun German and Japanese BB up to Tier 8. But when reaching Tier 9, they feel absolutely pitiful.

I upgraded the FDG and the Izumo to the maximum and still, absolutely horrible. After 190 batte with FDG and 70 with Izumo, I am really wondering what are those rubbish things...

I had much more success and fun facing Yamato or Montana with my Bismark than with FDG. How can this be possible?!?

Big + of FDG is her armor and big 420mm guns. Really? I receive Citadel really often at mid-range and my 420mm shell bounce of go through ship on broadside. And many times, when I do a penetration, it is with zero damage. Yes, absolutely zero! This is total non sense: Penetration should mean damage.

Big + of Izumo: its precision. Really? Sending salvo to a broadside Missouri at 12km and 2/3 of the shell go too far and 2/3 go too close. Can't even think about doing citadel with a so great grouping of the shell. I can only hope for a shell to miraculously land on the target.

I don't ask to have something astonishing, but at least something that make me wish to play them a bit more. I start feeling disgusted by this game due to all this non-sense.

After 190 games in FdG, you must be about ready to jump to GK - 50% more guns and you're playing against t10s most of the time anyway. I used premium time and piled on the camo and flags to grind through it after 70 battles so you must be close.

T9 does seem to be a transitional level and probably has lower numbers, which could account for the poor mm at t8 - t8s get dragged into t10 battles to make up the numbers.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
2 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

USN BB/DD?

soviet DDs/CLs?

273 posts
1,220 battles

Just try out pepsicola

Hey_Potato_Avatar_2.jpg.6f64cf3553e251fb542f7c74852fc8ed.jpg

I hate Izumo...that wooden deck flooring is made of plywood....not even from solid timber....just light a match stick to burn the whole ship down. I am really really bad at it but still have to grind my way through yamato.....the shells bounce off every t10 bb...is worse playing it before WG nerf invisible firing from Zao and dd; those were the days when literally every CA just love to burn izumo because that bloody ship is advertising "Deck flooring made of plywood...please burn me"

5a82edae58cf9_Izumosucks.thumb.jpg.00b28f9bcb54b8ba8e658d34e7083f0d.jpg

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

FdG and Izumo are both bad ships, period. While most tech tree T9 BB pales in comparison with their T8 and 10 counterparts, FdG and Izumo are particularly bad. Lion was very competent and enjoyable pre-nerf (had the best T9 grind experience on her), but with heal nerf and Musashi being a thing, I'll have some doubts.

FdG's problem: way larger and clumsier than Bismarck, bad firing arc for turret Y, low barrel counts, dispersion even worse than Bismarck, thin main belt and huge superstructure over all this ship is an ATM for whoever has a caliber of over 380mm and willing to fire AP at you.

Izumo: larger and clumsier, entire hull 32mm, huge detection range, incompetent gun at range*, and the dispersion is just okay-ish, better than FdG but not the super accurate type. ATM for cruiser spammer.

* I know this statement doesn't make sense for many of you, but the "Izumo gun super punch" thing only exists in close-mid range, at 15km her guns doesn't compare well against the KM 420 or RN 419, only 4mm better than Mk7 and only 15mm better than the infamously weak KM 406mm, this gun is the current worst (pre Alsace) T9 gun at 20km. To describe Izumo gun, I would say it's basically firing a 410mm type 91 with a supercharge, it provides a real punch up close, but everyone else at T9 has a heavier shell, hell even the Germans despite their reluctance on adopting heavy shells.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles

I initially had issues with the Kawachii/Myogi but once you work out how to play them they are quite good. I take the same approach to the Izumo, despite having difficulties with her so far.

As for KM BBs, I have Bismarck but haven't really played her. I've found their guns even more inconsistent than IJN but less of them or worse calibre so no thanks.

The biggest thing I find with the Izumo is where I would get pens/citas with Amagi, RNG often kicks you in the privates...

Still I'm sure I'll get her working at some point, I've managed to with every other IJN BB so far - just gotta git gud...

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

Ok, I will try again the 406 on the FDG, I used it for some time but was really not impressed.

For the Izumo, I really don't know what to do... Seems I need to be at really close range to be able to do something with it.

BTW, I don't freeXP to move from one ship to another (did that only for Kawachi when I was starting playing) and I don't use premium as I was see how far it is possible to play without artificial help, so I still have a way to go with those ship before I can buy the T10, unless I give up and I use my FreeXP :P

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Currently grinding Izumo, i hope i can keep my sanity long enough to get hull C and Yamato, it gun is the most unreliably thing i ever play after RNGneisenau, some time it hit perfectly some time it can even crash an unmoving broadside BB that 12-13 km away:Smile_facepalm:

And even worse since meta now is full Mushi and Misou :Smile_facepalm:

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,628 battles

i only have iowa now and still completely stock

played less than 20 times but its alright to me, play it right its quite a ship

how does iowa compare to all other t9 bb?

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles
2 hours ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

Currently grinding Izumo, i hope i can keep my sanity long enough to get hull C and Yamato, it gun is the most unreliably thing i ever play after RNGneisenau, some time it hit perfectly some time it can even crash an unmoving broadside BB that 12-13 km away:Smile_facepalm:

And even worse since meta now is full Mushi and Misou :Smile_facepalm:

Totally agree... I've been having success with DD support, ie kill Radar ships.

Doesn't work against good players.

I feel like Izumo is only good against poor positioning...

It's like you need to be close but you need someone to tank.

Islands have been my waifu to eliminate flank fire... :-/

Goodluck to us both

411 posts
6,164 battles
22 hours ago, Mortem76 said:

Hi All,

I feel your pain bro...:Smile_sceptic: Unfortunately you ended up grinding lines that have some of the worst t9s...

Personally, I felt the same with FDG and in the end sold it(never completed the grind afterwards, GK doesn't appeal me)

For Izumo, you can do what I did :Smile_trollface: , sum up all your resources( camo, flags, free xp) and wait for some premium time drop(you can try completing some t6 scenarios to get premium time) or just go ahead and buy... AND THEN SPAM HE ALL THE WAY TO YAMATO!:Smile_playing::etc_red_button: Trust me, that is what I did, it took me around 13 hours of non stop HE spam with 60k avg dmg and 10-12k xp(including free xp) per match to grind the last 150k xp:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _TAMAL_

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Izumo is a very peculiar ships, I think many fell to the trap that she was clumsy, then adopt static, bow on only use 2 gun, thing

well, the gun were decent, but not accurate or punch enough that if you only use 2 of them all the time its fell and was underwhellming. she also squishy against HE spam.

just because she good at bow tank, doesnt mean she best played like unmovable fortress Yamato. (IMO conception that Izumo teach you play Yamato is wrong, she is very peculiar ships)

she still horrid though, but compared to FDG. Izumo feel better

Edited by humusz

[TOGN]
Beta Tester
115 posts
13,365 battles

i gritted my teeth  and went for broke,  i was there to do damage when  i played the  t9s  bbs and set a xp target  took me just over 3 weeks in the fdg 15-20xp a day   i got all four t10 bbs with a 19 point captains in them ...