Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Black__Melody

46k average damage is good?

34 comments in this topic

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

Depends on class, depends on tier depends on how you play (solo, div etc).

My personal opinion, average damage overall makes 0 sense.People playing tier 4 mostly will never even get close to people who play tier 10 regularly. Lets not even talk about CV players, 70k average for CV players is often considered as "low".

Better look at it for specific ships. For example, is 46k average damage on a tier 7 destroyer good? HELL YES its godlike.

Is 46k average on a tier 7 battleship good? NOPE, far from it.

Is 46k average on a tier 7 CV good? no, that's pathetic.

Go check wows-numbers.com, there you can see top 50%/25%/10%/5% statistics of ships. If you are within top 50% range, you are good.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Not sure if it's the average damage on your account or a certain class. For me, I have the average of 48k damage per battle on my account.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

It Depends on which target you mostly damage?

and which average tier are you?

what type of ships are you?

164 posts
5,435 battles

Like aboves said. Or if you were talking about the entire account avg dmg featuring on official WG profile then, maybe?

That number is quite meaningless though, it heavily depends on which tier the player prefers to play.

For example, my number is around 41k and I mostly play Tier V, VI.

Check out the Warships.today website, the statistics there are much better and it comes with a summary too. Just remember to choose the right region.

Edited by ColonelRVH

260 posts
4,654 battles

For me, I like to use my ship HP as a standard. i.e. I should be dealing damage equal or more than my ship HP in order to be called average.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
2 hours ago, GRADAN31 said:

For me, I like to use my ship HP as a standard. i.e. I should be dealing damage equal or more than my ship HP in order to be called average.

That is not true for all classes though. You cannot do 26k damage with a Khaba in order to be called average. It has to be 3-4 times that to even be called average.

260 posts
4,654 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

That is not true for all classes though. You cannot do 26k damage with a Khaba in order to be called average. It has to be 3-4 times that to even be called average.

I agree. DD in general should perform above their HP.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
1 hour ago, GRADAN31 said:

I agree. DD in general should perform above their HP.

well your statement is still wrong, 

if you hit 50% enemy DD hp, the damage worth is equal to 50% of BB hp in the same tier

you should never calculate your worth by your own HP

for example detonating a full hp Shimakaze with a Bismarck, is equal to killing full HP GK

but ofc people will judge you differently  when they see your damage avg

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
6 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

for example detonating a full hp Shimakaze with a Bismarck, is equal to killing full HP GK

That is not true.

Just killing a Full HP will earn you a lot less XP than killing a full HP GK. It depends on how much effort you put out and how much damage you actually dealt. For example, last night I got 2.2k base exp with an IJN DD and all I did was, I killed a full HP NC and Yamato, while my friendly DD capped, killed 2 of their DDs and probably did a lot of stuffs. Wasn't anywhere near my base exp.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
16 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

That is not true.

Just killing a Full HP will earn you a lot less XP than killing a full HP GK. It depends on how much effort you put out and how much damage you actually dealt. For example, last night I got 2.2k base exp with an IJN DD and all I did was, I killed a full HP NC and Yamato, while my friendly DD capped, killed 2 of their DDs and probably did a lot of stuffs. Wasn't anywhere near my base exp.

yeah what is your base on saying killing full HP BB worth more than killing Full HP DD?

you do realize you also do spotting

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
10 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

yeah what is your base on saying killing full HP BB worth more than killing Full HP DD?

Experience of course. Since we don't know exactly what goes under the hood. I didn't do spotting either. I would love to post the battle result here but im not home right now.

423 posts
22 hours ago, GRADAN31 said:

For me, this standard for am I pulling my weight? If I did damage above my own hp pull, then I most likely pulled my weight in the game.  I f I didn't, then I didn't. (For CV, I also include plane kill count. Did I kill planes, equal or more than my own carrying capacity?) 

455 posts
8,038 battles
23 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

but ofc people will judge you differently  when they see your damage avg

Well thats because if you claim you have low average only because you focus dds, that just means you are yoloing regularly for a single kill which is a bad playstyle. If you are playing a dd and manage to kill the enemy dd without dying, you can easily proceed to torp enemy bbs for the rest of the game, thus increasing your average. However if you dont have the skills to regularly outplay the enemy dd or trade your life for theirs, your average will decrease- reflecting lack of skill. So ofc people can judge

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

low avg damage =/= avg damage that is lower than your BB

you should add survivalbilty to the calculation on your argument, adm

260 posts
4,654 battles

If we are going in depth, then the calculation has to include a lot of factors (like what @Harpoon01 and @BunnyDragon mentioned). So review all the factors to determine if you are a good player.

For simplicity, let me review my statement: I still feel that using HP as the baseline is the easiest way to judge, especially during game, since that number conveniently visible on the top right. Base EXP is also another gauge, but that only know after game. Getting 1.6K exp is the baseline for good player in my view (based on one of the October Revolution ship missions, where one need to get 1.6K). After game review, these 2 provide the quickest way to review your actions.

@Adm_Kunkka I agree with you, a DD hunter cannot look at his/her average damage and say that their damage is so low because they only kill DD. There got to be games that they could not kill/hunt a single DD and has to fight other ships.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

@GRADAN31 but there is no way you can see other people's average base exp. My average exp is little over 1.2k, that's equivalent to a player who uses premium account and has 1.8k or higher. Also, the higher the winrate the higher average exp will be. Hence, it is, in essence, the similar metric to winrate, which many ignorant players think to be pointless.

1,347 posts
8,872 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

@GRADAN31 but there is no way you can see other people's average base exp. My average exp is little over 1.2k, that's equivalent to a player who uses premium account and has 1.8k or higher. Also, the higher the winrate the higher average exp will be. Hence, it is, in essence, the similar metric to winrate, which many ignorant players think to be pointless.

Probably referring to the base xp you can see on the 2nd screen of the post battle results.

That is the simplest way of seeing how you fared compared to the other players in the match.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
8 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Probably referring to the base xp you can see on the 2nd screen of the post battle results.

That is the simplest way of seeing how you fared compared to the other players in the match.

That doesn't make sense, cause you can't see other people's games, unless they are in your matches. Wish WG hadn't recorded exp with premium boosters.

1,347 posts
8,872 battles
32 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

That doesn't make sense, cause you can't see other people's games, unless they are in your matches. Wish WG hadn't recorded exp with premium boosters.

While I agree it is not perfect, it does help as a gauge for self-improvement.

If you are getting high base xp scores compared to the other players in the match, it means you were doing something right.

161 posts
5,905 battles

Judging someone good or not based on their average damage is quite problematic, as we have to take a lot into account.

Would it be better, if we look at average exp gain instead, both match by match, compared to the rest of the players in the match, and server statistics. I believe that would give a better impression of where a player stands.

Sign in to follow this