Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

I get pink "teamkiller" penalty ... for killing myself?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
325 posts
4,688 battles

I'm still kinda in shock.

[SIF]NZ_Flying_Shark, if you are reading this : I am so, so sorry Dude.

What happened:

In the early stages of the game I had approached the cap and was parked behind an island trading fire with a Neptune and a couple of other enemy ships. The Missouri came up from behind me and passed in front towards the gap I was firing into. I knew he was there but figured he was far enough in front and to one side, and I really wanted to score some hits on the cruiser heading into cover.

Unfortunately Missouris are really tall ships, Myoko guns have very flat arcs, and I managed to ping his superstructure with 2 HE shells of my outbound volley.

That's all, as far as knew. My bad, but not the end of the world.

A couple of minutes I exploded with a warning that I had been given team killer status. Since I was taking fire at the time, I thought I had been one-shotted by the enemy battleship ... but I couldn't figure out for the life of me who it was of my team I'd managed to kill. No torps. I was definitely shooting at the reds, no greens in my sights. Missouri still fine.

Turns out I had killed myself.

The way it happened, as far as I can tell, is like this:

Unfortunately my earlier HE shell on the Missouri mast started a fire.

He didn't use Damage Repair Party.

He continued to burn. The burn damage was treated as additional "attacks" from me on my team with additional warnings. At some point, the damage reflection kicked in, and I died from the reflected hit.

So a managed to do over 27k of team damage and sunk one team ship (me), all from accidentally clipping a battleship with two 203mm HE shells!

<<sigh>> pink for the next 10 games

 

****

P.S. Treating the shot and the fire damage as separate attacks is unfair "double jeopardy" in my view.

P.P.S. In my defense, the top-down viewpoint in game gives the illusion that your guns have more height clearance than they really do, unless you zoom all the way down to the turret view.

 

 

 

Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (86).png

Edited by Rina_Pon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

there is something called map awareness, which you seems to  lack of, it is not Missouri mistake to not use damage control or repair party which probably still in cooldown

 

it is the same as player with ships equipped with Torpedoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIY]
Member
65 posts
5,427 battles
43 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

there is something called map awareness, which you seems to  lack of, it is not Missouri mistake to not use damage control or repair party which probably still in cooldown

 

it is the same as player with ships equipped with Torpedoes

Yeah, You are right, but the point is WG shouldn't count FIRE (AND/OR FLOODING) as an additional attack. If you hit your ally with HE once then it should be once. The fire shouldn't be count as extra hits, but you still have to pay for the amount you dealt. Even you have the map awareness, still there are India Delta India Oscar Tango (or maybe troll) which they, somehow, manage to run in your well placed torps, launched to enemy that is dead by the time it go 3 km, which you have fired like 45 secs ago without reason. No enemy related stuff in sighted and he just run to my torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
325 posts
4,688 battles

It wasn't like I wasn't aware of the Missouri. I incorrectly judged he was far enough away that my shots would clear.

Anyway it's not like I'm blaming him for cutting in front of me. I'm just saying I paid a heck of a price for not having AP in the barrels. :-/

Also just to be clear I think it's a nonsensical mechanic that you get a teamkilling penalty when you didn't actually kill a member of your team. Think about this: I did not get the penalty for damaging the Missouri. WG killed me as punishment for starting the fire and then branded me a teamkiller because I died. If I'd done the same thing but with a battleship, the reflected damage wouldn't have killed me and I wouldn't have taken the penalty. That's just messed up.

Edited by Rina_Pon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
980 posts
12,617 battles

I once got a disciplinary penalty (killed by the game) + team killer after a Kurfurst on 10HP rammed my moskva. I was heavily reported that game because I had -2 ship kills in the post-battle screen and branded a team killer for 20 matches. 

So yeah, you think yours was bad...

Edited by LordTyphoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,356 posts
8,892 battles

You get the teamkiller penalty not just for team kills, but also if your team damage crosses a certain threshold.

Also I don't think it is unfair that fire and flooding are counted. If it wasn't counted, I can easily grief other players by shooting at areas where HE won't penetrate and starting a fire. Friendly takes fire damage while I get off scot-free.

Sure, the punishment might seem harsh, but take it as a lesson learnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
325 posts
4,688 battles
3 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

I once got a disciplinary penalty (killed by the game) + team killer after a Kurfurst on 10HP rammed my moskva. I was heavily reported that game because I had -2 ship kills in the post-battle screen and branded a team killer for 20 matches. 

So yeah, you think yours was bad...

Thanks for sharing that. Believe it or not it it made me feel better. :fish_aqua:

Edited by Rina_Pon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,042 posts
7,507 battles
11 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

So a managed to do over 27k of team damage and sunk one team ship (me), all from accidentally clipping a battleship with two 203mm HE shells!

WG will take the damage you did to an ally off your own ship, and in this case that killed you. I think this is a very good mechanism, it prevents people to go around killing teammates for fun.

What you did was clearly reckless, not a surprise your team lost. Spending some time in pink hopefully teaches you a lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIF]
Super Tester
3,859 posts
4,140 battles

It happens to everyone sooner or later.  Take away from it why you want.  Most people learn from it and there is rarely any threads about habitual team killers on the forums.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
590 posts
2,995 battles
12 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I'm still kinda in shock.

[SIF]NZ_Flying_Shark, if you are reading this : I am so, so sorry Dude.

What happened:

In the early stages of the game I had approached the cap and was parked behind an island trading fire with a Neptune and a couple of other enemy ships. The Missouri came up from behind me and passed in front towards the gap I was firing into. I knew he was there but figured he was far enough in front and to one side, and I really wanted to score some hits on the cruiser heading into cover.

Unfortunately Missouris are really tall ships, Myoko guns have very flat arcs, and I managed to ping his superstructure with 2 HE shells of my outbound volley.

That's all, as far as knew. My bad, but not the end of the world.

A couple of minutes I exploded with a warning that I had been given team killer status. Since I was taking fire at the time, I thought I had been one-shotted by the enemy battleship ... but I couldn't figure out for the life of me who it was of my team I'd managed to kill. No torps. I was definitely shooting at the reds, no greens in my sights. Missouri still fine.

Turns out I had killed myself.

The way it happened, as far as I can tell, is like this:

Unfortunately my earlier HE shell on the Missouri mast started a fire.

He didn't use Damage Repair Party.

He continued to burn. The burn damage was treated as additional "attacks" from me on my team with additional warnings. At some point, the damage reflection kicked in, and I died from the reflected hit.

So a managed to do over 27k of team damage and sunk one team ship (me), all from accidentally clipping a battleship with two 203mm HE shells!

<<sigh>> pink for the next 10 games

 

****

P.S. Treating the shot and the fire damage as separate attacks is unfair "double jeopardy" in my view.

P.P.S. In my defense, the top-down viewpoint in game gives the illusion that your guns have more height clearance than they really do, unless you zoom all the way down to the turret view.

 

 

 

Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (86).png

Not sure he frequent's the forums, but i'll let him know you've posted here to him. 

And knowing him, he's a pretty relaxed kinda guy - so I doubt it was too much of an issue :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
426 posts

Also, about the fire and flooding counting as separate damage, this counts as separate damage on enemy ships as well.  This is part of why people who are good at DOTS get a lot of xp and credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
359 posts
7,415 battles

As someone who has been on the receiving end of friendly torps whilst my DC has been on cool down I wholeheartedly agree with the reflected damage mechanic. Team killing is one of the most toxic elements in WOT and the way things are right now it stops trolling tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIF]
Super Tester
3,859 posts
4,140 battles

From what I have seen since the inception of the game is that 99.99999%  of teamkilling is not malicious but just plain stupid.    So it certainly isn't one of the most "toxic" elements of the game.  (I just felt a little bit of vomit in my throat by even using that word.   Its the most over used over rated buzzword in gaming)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,042 posts
7,507 battles
40 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

From what I have seen since the inception of the game is that 99.99999%  of teamkilling is not malicious but just plain stupid.    So it certainly isn't one of the most "toxic" elements of the game.  (I just felt a little bit of vomit in my throat by even using that word.   Its the most over used over rated buzzword in gaming)

I think reckless descibes it better than stupid.

The vast majority of people don't want to be pink, but if a friendly ship gets a bit  too close to our target, that doesn't stop us from firing our guns or torps, and if he gets hit, his fault, right? I want my damage and my XP!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×