Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ch0m1n

Bretagne New Gimmick?

11 comments in this topic

319 posts
6,896 battles

When i started my first game in the Bretagne it showed a 18.1km firing range, once i fired the max range went to 16.1km iirc.

493 posts
7,686 battles
14 hours ago, Ch0m1n said:

Lol What is this

1 hour ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

One explaination I heard about is that Bretagne's AP maximum range is lower than her HE counterpart

I can confirm from playing some Bretagne games in co-op that HE has the full 18.1 km range, while AP shells only have a 16.6 km range.

When you start the game with AP loaded it will display 18.1 km until you fire and AP is re-loaded, then it will display the correct 16.1 km. Looks a bit odd to have your range decrease simply from firing!

First ship in game AFAIK that has different ranges for AP and HE. Not sure if this is intended. Maybe it is something I will have to look up, to see if these shells had different charges or something to account for that range discrepancy.

1,386 posts
8,251 battles
52 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I can confirm from playing some Bretagne games in co-op that HE has the full 18.1 km range, while AP shells only have a 16.6 km range.

When you start the game with AP loaded it will display 18.1 km until you fire and AP is re-loaded, then it will display the correct 16.1 km. Looks a bit odd to have your range decrease simply from firing!

First ship in game AFAIK that has different ranges for AP and HE. Not sure if this is intended. Maybe it is something I will have to look up, to see if these shells had different charges or something to account for that range discrepancy.

I looked up NavWeaps.

Bretagne's HE and AP In-game are Mle 1932 and 1924.

APC M1924 is historical, 575kg projectile weight, 780mps muzzle velocity.

I can't find a HE M1932 on NavWeaps, but "HE FATO 32-6" fits the in-game stats of 432kg-921mps.

The Bretagne class had three configurations for their turret, originally they had 12deg of elevation except a few cases, upgraded to 18deg and further to 23deg. APC M1924 was deployed in 18deg and 23deg turrets as well as coastal defense. At 18deg their max range is 21km, the number goes up to 26.6 for 23deg turrets.

No range data for HE shells were available on NavWeaps.

I suppose that the 16.6km is a result of M1924 fires at 12deg. As M1924 seem to have better range than 1912 at the same elevation. (1912 14.5km-12deg 18km-18deg)

493 posts
7,686 battles
24 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

I looked up NavWeaps.

Bretagne's HE and AP In-game are Mle 1932 and 1924.

Seems to be more likely a bug with the FCS upgrade on the ship. Looks like only HE gets the FCS range upgrade and not the AP shells. There are reports on reddit of people uninstalling and then reinstalling the FCS upgrade and it fixes the problem. I tried and this has not worked for me.

Historically speaking these guns did have severe flaws as the turrets were not originally designed to elevate very far. This was due to some wizard in the French Conseil supérieur de la Marine (CSM), deciding all naval warfare would take place at under 8 km or something stupid. The ships eventually got a refit and the elevation issue was improved but the max range of the guns was still very subpar compared to other nations ships.

I realise the ship in game is post refit, but I'm very confused why WG decided to give her one of the best upgraded firing ranges at T5. It's clear the ships turret design limited her range, so why not give her something like texas and konig at around the 16 km range?

Even after the refit and improvements were made to the gun elevation on Bretagne, at 23 degrees elevation she could only fire out to barely 24 km. Compare this to Kongo which could fire out to 35.5 km max range after her refit. Yet WG makes Bretagne one of the longest range BB at T5. It makes no sense. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with WG track record, that a flashy model of the ship is more important that any resemblance of historical accuracy. :Smile_facepalm:

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles

Hello guys,

Please take note that this is a known issue, and our Developers are working on fixing this issue about the Bretagne's firing range.

We thank you for your report, and appreciate your continued patience and understanding while this problem is being fixed.:cap_hmm:

Sign in to follow this