Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

New Mexico - advanced tactics and build strategy

20 comments in this topic

325 posts
4,688 battles

If you've ever glanced at the USN BB line you already know that Wyoming, New York, New Mexico, and Colorado share several common traits: good armor, good guns, fast rudder shift (after upgrades), and very slow top speed. If you've played the ships, you already know that they alternate up the line between "shotgun" (Wyoming, New Mex.) and "rifle" (New York, Colorado): the shotgun ships have lots of guns, but with a smaller caliber and higher dispersion, the rifle boats fewer barrels, but with a larger caliber, higher accuracy, and greater range.

While you might have the impression that New Mexico should play like an upgraded Wyoming, in my experience this did not work out well. In this post I will try to muddle through why this is, and what might instead be the right way to approach New Mexico. My thoughts on this is a Work In Progress.

Insight no. 1. The ship may not be so different, but the T5-8 games New Mexico will see are very different from the T3-5 battles faced by Wyoming. Consider that both ships have nearly the same gun range. On the small maps Wyoming typically sees, and being able to outrange most most-tier cruisers, the "hang back and just shoot" playstyle approach shared by New York and Colorado is workable. Not so for New Mexico. Just about every ship you face outside of DDs can shoot at you before you can shoot at them. Many cruisers can easily burn you to a crisp before you can even return fire. "hang back and just shoot" does not work.

Insight no. 2. If you examine the details closely you'll see that New Mexico has significantly better AA than any of the other three battleships, better than Colorado even. Colorado has very strong short range AA, but N. Mex. has far better ranged AA. So unlike the others in the family where you are basically building for survival and gun range by default, running a full AA build with New Mexico has some merit ... if, and this is a big if, CV games are common enough to make it viable.

Insight no. 3. Despite claims I've read that N. Mex has the highest velocity 14" guns in game (is this still true?) the long reload and high dispersion are cause for significant grief. No, they are not really much worse than Wyoming, it's just that the consequences of failing to hit the target is more severe in mid tier games. Much less likely to see a second chance.

Those are the "issues" with N. Mex as I see them. I find I'm agonizing over which captain skills to take - AA or survival - and which mods to equip (again AA or range/survival). It's like whichever you equip, you'll need the exact opposite in game: get torped by planes if you run fireproof, get burnt down if you run AA. Currently I've settled all-in for AA, relying on flags and consumables to try and keep fires under control. In a four CV game 15-20 plane kills is doable, and more importantly they'll have a hard time touching you. Still wondering if AA mod or plotting room mod is the way to go though.

As for the guns, I find I do well when the enemy comes to me, poorly otherwise.The results are extremely RNG, but I can live with that if the target is pushing our flank. One way or the other I hardly ever get close enough to make use of my secondaries. No fun brawls. Either I'm dead first or the enemy is. I feel I'm definitely not quite "there yet" with getting the best out of New Mexico's guns. If there's a trick I haven't found it yet.

The problem in a nutshell boils down to this: New Mexico pairs guns that need close range with a hull that lacks the speed to either engage and disengage freely.

Knowing this is the issue and knowing what to do about it are two different things unfortunately.

current N. Mex build:

main armaments 1, damage control mod 1, AA mod, and rudder shift

spotter aircraft, expert marksman, basic firing training, advanced firing training 

[MEGA]
4,574 posts
17,576 battles

i highly advice tradeing AFT/BFT with SI and CE, AFT/BFT dosnt do much at T6-7 and SI/CE are both must takes on USN BBs, after SI/CE take AR and then either AFT/FP or BFT+ a tier 1 skill

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

I guess I like the shotgun ships. Loved the Wyoming and New Mexico. Hated the New York and thought the Colorado was meh.

As for the New Mexico, I used islands to get closer to the frontline and blast some suspecting cruiser at close range. CE helps a lot with that, though I actually went with SI and AFT. But in hindsight SI and CE would be better, as Drakon says.

425 posts

I love my New Mex and generally do well in it.

Priority Target, Faster Turret traverse, Super Intendent, and Concealment.  Working on getting AFT for AA guns/secondary, then AR Rush for faster reload. After those 16 points, will think about what next. 

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles

I'm a US BB fan, and I loved NY, NM, Colorado and everything up to Montana..

New Mex is one of the best T6 tech tree battleship. You can get really close to cruisers and one shot them. You have 12 rifles, so accuracy is not really important as long as you can even land 25% of your shells. She is not easy to citadel, and torpedo defense is pretty good. She has the BEST penetration statistics among tech tree battleships at tier 6 (which is balanced by 34s+ reload).

Basically you sneak up a flank and not get yourself spot first. Your goal is to remove DDs and Cruisers, you can leave battleships as your last target unless they are close and broadside. Use your heals carefully. NM has pretty good AA. But going AFT first isn't really profitable.

For NM, use the range upgrade mod.

I suggest: Double Catapult, EM, SI, CE, AR, FP

If you can live without EM, that's 2 more free points for you.

325 posts
4,688 battles
6 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I suggest: Double Catapult, EM, SI, CE, AR, FP

Sounds about right to me.

CE, FP in that order?

607 posts
7,623 battles
26 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

CE, FP in that order?

CE is priority!!!

I absolutely love the new mexico and colorado

Fun lil tug torpbeats easily

Edited by Gummilicious

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

CE, FP in that order?

FP actually depends on whether you can deal with fire or not. Also, I doubt you will stay with NM that high up, you will be up to NC at that point. So, just get CE. You will be surprised to see the panic moves cruisers make when a random NM pops up at 12 km :cap_haloween:

And if you wish to make a dedicated captain for NM later on, I think FP and AFT are interchangeable. NM AA is pretty good for tier 6 if you spec for it. I still believe FP is a better investment. And the last 3 point could be BoS or BFT depending on whether you go survival or AA build.

[151ST]
1,017 posts
4,530 battles

As always comes down to personal preference. Even with USN BBs I'd be tempted to go standard FP BB build.

PM/PT - your choice first.

EM/AR

SI

CE.

Come back down, FP, reduced fire time, EM/AR (whichever one you didn't get first time).

Personally I don't have a big issue with CVs, don't see enough of them and when I do I just stay close to AA CL/As and run premium repair/Heal.

I prefer PM btw.

Edited by S4pp3R

325 posts
4,688 battles
5 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

double plane still ruins DD days at mid tiers.

Not a lot of people know this, and I think Direction Center skill is under-valued. Flamu was on to something when he called it "poor man's radar".

[151ST]
1,017 posts
4,530 battles
5 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Not a lot of people know this, and I think Direction Center skill is under-valued. Flamu was on to something when he called it "poor man's radar".

I run it in some non-19 point Captains.

1,356 posts
8,888 battles
11 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

A lot of people have been calling it that, not just Flamu. Personally I run it on many of my ships that can't swap out the catapult planes.

274 posts
23,699 battles

New Mexico is one of my most played ships, utterly love it. Used to be my primary cash cow before the Missouri came along. 

In the past, when T6 mm was kinder than it is right now, and the meta wasn't so heavy on the HE spam from bbs, I used to have an AA dedicated commander, BFT, AFT, Manual AA. Didn't even spec concealment expert. This version of mexico was a massive credits earner cause facing cvs was guaranteed at that tier and plane kills earn massive credits. 500K credit upgrade slot went to AA range (which maxed out at 6km). 

Since the MM for tier 6 has veered towards being bottom tier in most games (though sometimes I used to get these glorious games where killing 25-30 t8 cv planes netted me 400K profit games) and British BBs are out there wiping out significant chunks of my AA per salvo, I've switched to a full survival commander spec, increased main battery range for the second upgrade slot and i use the unique upgrade at the 125K credit slot which increases the duration of my damage control party - it lasts a massive 28 seconds now, makes a huge difference at this tier).

I've attached a screenie of my current commander.
From the screenshot, the remaining commander points, when I earn them will go to Adrenaline Rush and Vigilance (which is vital to my personal style of BB play). 

This has served me very well in Random even when Im solo (almost always) and uptiered (ditto).

The fact that Wargaming handed out a free premium camo for Mexico just made it all the sweeter.

shot-18.02.07_17.41.10-0002.jpg

shot-18.02.07_17.41.36-0670.jpg

325 posts
4,688 battles
2 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

Since the MM for tier 6 has veered towards being bottom tier in most games (though sometimes I used to get these glorious games where killing 25-30 t8 cv planes netted me 400K profit games) and British BBs are out there wiping out significant chunks of my AA per salvo, I've switched to a full survival commander spec, increased main battery range for the second upgrade slot and i use the unique upgrade at the 125K credit slot which increases the duration of my damage control party - it lasts a massive 28 seconds now, makes a huge difference at this tier).

Hi Pervis! That was pretty funny having the related conversation in game just now. AS you guessed, my team went and balled up leaving half the map wide open. Sigh...

Anyway I think you are right. AA spec captain/build for N. Mex. can't really be recommended with the game in it's present state. Too bad, it would be nice to have a bit of variety on the low tier USN BBs.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Anyway I think you are right. AA spec captain/build for N. Mex. can't really be recommended with the game in it's present state. Too bad, it would be nice to have a bit of variety on the low tier USN BBs.

Hold on a second right there. In case you are taking this commander higher up, DO Consider concealment + AA build. Because from NC and UP, the true identity of US BBs are monster AA. I still remember I got Clear sky with NC, Iowa etc.

313 posts
10,075 battles

they are literally the same in my point of view, all wiggle for 20 minutes in each battle
synchronize the wiggling with the gun reload time, 
and maintain a decent distance between enemy boats (14 to 16km)
the goldilock zone of low tier BBs

Wyoming, awesome
New York, good
New Mexico, awesome
Colorado, awesome

Tbh, all 12-guns battleships are awesome

274 posts
23,699 battles

US BBs from T8 onwards also benefit from having some of the most durable AA mounts on any ships in the game. My Monty/Mo AA spec (i keep two commanders, a survival based one for CV free mms and a AA specialized one for CV heavy mm/div with cv) gets spammed by conquerors almost every game but due to Auxillary Armaments Mod 1 and Preventative Maintenance, I barely lose any AA (not even mid range).  If you can afford the luxury, make two commanders for the eventual Monty. 

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

My insight after passing through US ships that they were despite good overall performance they aesthetically not pleasing. especialy this low-mid tier ships (Texas, Wyoming, New York, New Mexico, and Colorado) only Arizona is somewhat better looking

About new mexico spesificaly though, those guns have prob highest or second highest pen in the tier. the 35s reload is kinda restricted her to get better recognition

Sign in to follow this