You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Foxyaway

Detection Through lslands

12 comments in this topic

25 posts
2,805 battles

Is this a bug or something that is suppose to happen, its not a one off either as I have experienced this many times on different maps even with DDs

492 posts
7,661 battles
1 hour ago, Foxyaway said:

Is this a bug or something that is suppose to happen, its not a one off either as I have experienced this many times on different maps even with DDs

Wow. You got to T10 and played that many battles to still not understand detection mechanics. :Smile_amazed:

Ok. At the start notice how the detection icon is an exclamation mark. This is telling you that you are being detected by the good old Mk. 1 eyeball. You are within visual detection range of an enemy ship. 3 ships were briefly targeting you because someone could see you until you went behind the island and dropped off detection at 0.11 seconds.

At 0.15 seconds you are detected again, but notice the detection icon has changed. Notice that it is not an exclamation mark but a radar plot screen. This is telling you very clearly that you are being detected by either radar or hydro. Then enemy des moines obviously had used radar to track your ship after it went behind the island and became undetected. Same thing I would do and probably you would do in his situation.

Now notice at exactly the 0.48 second mark that the detection icon changes from the radar plot screen back to the exclamation mark. This is because the enemy des moines came closer than 2km to your ship. Any ships closer than 2km to each other will automatically become proxy (proximity) spotted. You were both closer than 2km, so you spotted him and he spotted you.This is regardless of islands or smoke clouds.

When you write in chat "I'm being detected ?" you are still well under the 2km proxy spotting range to the enemy des moines, so yes you are still detected. At the 1.43 mark you reversed outside the 2km proxy spotting range and were again detected by either radar or hydro as shown by the detection icon. Then at 1.47 you are plane spotted shown by the detection icon changing to a plane.

Hope this clears this up for you. No bug and no voodoo at work here. You just need to learn how the detection mechanics work.

Edited by HobartAWD

25 posts
2,805 battles
24 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Wow. You got to T10 and played that many battles to still not understand detection mechanics. :Smile_amazed:

Ok. At the start notice how the detection icon is an exclamation mark. This is telling you that you are being detected by the good old Mk. 1 eyeball. You are within visual detection range of an enemy ship. 3 ships were briefly targeting you because someone could see you until you went behind the island and dropped off detection at 0.11 seconds.

At 0.15 seconds you are detected again, but notice the detection icon has changed. Notice that it is not an exclamation mark but a radar plot screen. This is telling you very clearly that you are being detected by either radar or hydro. Then enemy des moines obviously had used radar to track your ship after it went behind the island and became undetected. Same thing I would do and probably you would do in his situation.

Now notice at exactly the 0.48 second mark that the detection icon changes from the radar plot screen back to the exclamation mark. This is because the enemy des moines came closer than 2km to your ship. Any ships closer than 2km to each other will automatically become proxy (proximity) spotted. You were both closer than 2km, so you spotted him and he spotted you.This is regardless of islands or smoke clouds.

When you write in chat "I'm being detected ?" you are still well under the 2km proxy spotting range to the enemy des moines, so yes you are still detected. At the 1.43 mark you reversed outside the 2km proxy spotting range and were again detected by either radar or hydro as shown by the detection icon. Then at 1.47 you are plane spotted shown by the detection icon changing to a plane.

Hope this clears this up for you. No bug and no voodoo at work here. You just need to learn how the detection mechanics work.

Cheers for that,

Ive been playing since the game first released and never knew about that proxy thing lol.

25 posts
2,805 battles
41 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

how the hell did you play to T10 without knowing about proxy spotting

First time ever finding out what Proxy Spotting even was lol

Super Tester
7,562 posts
8,001 battles
5 hours ago, Foxyaway said:

First time ever finding out what Proxy Spotting even was lol

Proxy spotting range can even be increased with upgrades for T9 and T10 ships. Be careful. Also, I hope you know about smoke detection changes too.

492 posts
7,661 battles
31 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Proxy spotting range can even be increased with upgrades for T9 and T10 ships. Be careful. Also, I hope you know about smoke detection changes too.

Spot on I forgot to mention this. :cap_like: I think it is available from T8 as I have it installed on my Tirpitz. Target acquisition system mod 1 I think it is called from memory.

273 posts
1,220 battles
9 hours ago, drakon233 said:

how the hell did you play to T10 without knowing about proxy spotting

Should move have this topic to my week end warrior thread. This is the type of player you get from Fri night to Mon night. Speechless:Smile_facepalm:

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

In smoke based on calibre of guns firing you can be spotted beyond 2km without hydro/radar.

Generally it's 5km ish for 150s and goes up from there to the point where BBs firing from smoke can go out to 16-18km.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

well, i have been called hacker and cheater by the likes of you who dont even know this mechanism 

especially when i used Target acquisition system mod 1 on Bismarck (which already have sonar)

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

Please run premium consumables. They are not very expensive and can be the difference between victory and defeat