You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TechnoGore

Middle and Lower Tiers, returning experience

10 comments in this topic

110 posts
1,474 battles

Good evening all,

This week I felt like playing some ships, so I finally updated the client. The last time I played was roughly a dozen matches after the captain skill rework, and before that was the russian DD split. Or maybe they happened in reverse order, I am not 100%. Anyway, I played some games this week.

I thought it would be great fun, and even though I had enough updates that it probably would have been quicker if I had just downloaded a whole new client, I was still really looking forward to sailing around the seven seas. Realizing that I would be extremely rusty, that I was never that good to begin with, and there were a few new ship lines (almost as many new premium ships it seems :P ), I decided it wouldn't hurt to start some of those newer lines. And even better, I would get to play against mostly clueless noobs!

Well apparently not. Before I stopped playing, I didn't get into many tier 10 battles, but I can recall them being exceptionally slow paced (campy), while the middle and lower tiers could typically be relied on to have a bit more fast paced action. Not so any longer it seems. Many of my battles in tier two to tier six were extremely slow paced, to the point where it was quite possible to drive a battleship past your DDs if you let your situational awareness slip, even if you actually playing bow on with 1/4-1/2 speed. Almost all of these players seemed to have a very good idea of AP/HE usage, kiting, armor usage etc. There were no cruisers driving broadside, no BBs driving into islands (ok I did actually see one do it, but it was to avoid a torp drop), no CVs accidentally auto piloting straight into the enemy team. Is this because of some of the current events going on? Experienced players are dropping to seal club tiers to make it easy? Or is it just the game (on this server) is struggling to gain and retain new players?

My next issue is I played some games in my ranger, the tier seven USN CV. I am certainly not one of the unicum cv players, but I could do ok in them before I left. I probably would have got my arse handed to me at the top tiers, but middle and lower I could usually do ok. Well, every match in the independence is either verse a saipan, a kaga, or a hiryu. No one wants to play american tech tree cv apparently. It is quite possible to get into a match where you will either have to drop your torps at max range, or just watch the other ships do stuff because 13/15 enemy ships can melt your planes even if they are isolated. I think about 1/3 of my very limited cv matches this week have been against teams where there is between 0-3 legitimate targets on the enemy team, with the rest being suicide to try attack. That might just be unlucky. It might even be because of the relatively recent brit BB line, which seem to mostly carry AA matching or exceeding even america. Like I said, I do have a very small data set. One of the matches I got was against a saipan, and we were the only tier seven ships. Most were tier nine, with a handful of eights. The saipan I guess felt a little sorry for me, and mentioned that the lexington was going to be even worse.

So; are the middle tier american cvs supposed to be grinded in co op? Where you will most likely only have time for two drops, three if you are really lucky? If this wasn't wargaming, I would ask how it is possible that premium cvs could so completely outclass the tech tree counterparts. But it is, so instead I will ask why there is STILL such an imbalance between japan and us cvs? I have read the top tiers it is shifted into the americans favour now, but.. that doesn't help me now does it lol. Why have they now sold three (?) premium CVs without fixing the stuttering lagging mess of a UI which likes to ignore your clicks? 

I should say if you want to look at my stats and then tell me the problem is me, don't bother. I know I am not doing fantastic in this game, and I know very good cv players would have an easier time dealing with these issues. However, that does not mean they are not issues.

I would like to play this game. I mostly stopped playing after the captain skill rework just because I wanted some time before all the ideal and niche skill selections were figured out, and I simply never quite managed to find the time to sort it all out. But, I would like to at least be an average player without having to play hard in the low tiers except maybe for a clutch carry, which currently doesn't seem possible. I also would like to play CVs, which I know is a very controversial thing to say here, but I actually enjoy the challenge of the cv micro management. I don't like the additional challenges of a UI that occasionally ignores your input, and (in the rangers case) of being a flat out inferior ship. 

Cheers for reading my ranty essay

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles

I won't quote you so I can keep the post length short.

In short however, Kaga is ok, OP-ish, Saipan is plain broken, CVs in general are screwed.

But you are right, lower tiers have been getting less... ...Noobish.

Could be the holiday period, could be campaign/mission stuff. I don't know.

The player base is partly learning that to win being alive longer is better. It's ok, the counter is easy, either div up and use that or utilise F-keys to create teamwork and dominate an area of the map. After that you just have to hope people understand to push caps, not spawns...

Good luck, and remember that this game is 1000 times more fun with friends!

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles
19 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

I won't quote you so I can keep the post length short.

In short however, Kaga is ok, OP-ish, Saipan is plain broken, CVs in general are screwed.

But you are right, lower tiers have been getting less... ...Noobish.

Could be the holiday period, could be campaign/mission stuff. I don't know.

The player base is partly learning that to win being alive longer is better. It's ok, the counter is easy, either div up and use that or utilise F-keys to create teamwork and dominate an area of the map. After that you just have to hope people understand to push caps, not spawns...

Good luck, and remember that this game is 1000 times more fun with friends!

The game is stagnant. There is no one new at lower tier on a considerable scale , all you see is good ol seal clubbers smacking each other

496 posts
4,165 battles
20 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

The game is stagnant. There is no one new at lower tier on a considerable scale , all you see is good ol seal clubbers smacking each other

well there is the occasional  mediocre/average players that are moving to another new line that get smack in the middle of a seal clubbing crossfire too XD

1,484 posts
3 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Which is fun, & makes it more fun for us tonplay lower tiers, also it challenges us clubbers to see if we are still man enough to handle such slow ships without losing it

:Smile_trollface:

Ordrazz

[SGC]
197 posts
10,276 battles

Honestly man, if you want to do good, or at least average in the game all you really have to do is adjust to the current meta.

You were out for a significantly long time, so you have a lot of work cut out for you.

But with your awareness of existing game mechanics and the meta, I don't think it'll take you too long to figure it out :3

You said you're like playing US CVs, right? Not to worry, while the grind is significantly horrible, I can definitely tell you the prize at the top of the tech tree is worth it.

Midway is scary TTATT

I also believe you should take this as a challenge - if you can do pretty decently in otherwise meta-sledgehammered ships, then I believe all the experience you accumulate would make you a better player overall.

Edited by seiji09

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles
6 hours ago, seiji09 said:

Honestly man, if you want to do good, or at least average in the game all you really have to do is adjust to the current meta.

You were out for a significantly long time, so you have a lot of work cut out for you.

But with your awareness of existing game mechanics and the meta, I don't think it'll take you too long to figure it out :3

You said you're like playing US CVs, right? Not to worry, while the grind is significantly horrible, I can definitely tell you the prize at the top of the tech tree is worth it.

Midway is scary TTATT

I also believe you should take this as a challenge - if you can do pretty decently in otherwise meta-sledgehammered ships, then I believe all the experience you accumulate would make you a better player overall.

Played Haku AS v Midway AS on PTS. I'm not the best CV player but it was pretty easy tbh... Bait enemy fighters and then strafe with your other 3, who cares about losses.

I just kept his fighters constantly on the backfoot.

Having said that, I wouldn't stand up to a decent CV player.

My point is Haku isn't bad either.

315 posts
4,634 battles

Weekends can still be, err, special, but as the game matures it's not surprising that the overall level of play improves across all tiers.

It may even become a bit of an issue for WG re. new player retention if low tiers becomes too shark infested.

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles
On 28/1/2018 at 3:30 AM, S4pp3R said:

Played Haku AS v Midway AS on PTS. I'm not the best CV player but it was pretty easy tbh... Bait enemy fighters and then strafe with your other 3, who cares about losses.

I just kept his fighters constantly on the backfoot.

Having said that, I wouldn't stand up to a decent CV player.

My point is Haku isn't bad either.

If you take 233 Haku , Midway completely trash her now that she got 222 instead of 212.

422 Haku can work , until he chew through your planes with his sheer reserves while still put out much more respectable damage than you if his strike come through

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

If you take 233 Haku , Midway completely trash her now that she got 222 instead of 212.

422 Haku can work , until he chew through your planes with his sheer reserves while still put out much more respectable damage than you if his strike come through

Yeh I was running 422. He had a DM and Mino zoning me out most of the game.

*Shrugs* I won't be pushing CVs anytime soon, but was a good chance to play Haku if I ever did want to.

Like I said, pretty sure the guy wasn't a good CV player, he got baited way to easily