Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
leerm002

Unique and weird ship designs

9 comments in this topic

28 posts
1,304 battles

Hey there history buffs!

So I had a quick question here. See, I'm one of those weirdo players that enjoys playing the Dunkerque. Why? Because (as far as I'm aware in the game,) she has a really unique design! This weird design makes you play her in a completely different way, and I have a good time with that :-)

Anyway, my question is this: What other strange and uniquely designed ships were there in WW2 that we could possibly see in the game?

PS: No jokes about those “weird ships that could go UNDER the water” har-har!

68 posts
3,836 battles

The weird ships in WW2  for this game are the Nelson and Izumo as far as I know. But with the French BBs coming we might see more unconventional designs.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

There are a few weird ones during design studies. for example, the Tillmans were such.

341 posts
4,020 battles

I honestly feel inclined to share a few of the ones I know. Admittedly not all of these date to WW2.

Italian Monitor Alfredo Cappellini

Cappellini_1.jpg
R%2036-138%20a_Cappellini%20ga-53%2004.j

This is... two 15" guns on a small barge that makes an incredible 3.2 knots.

French Predreadnought Carnot (And actually, French Predreads in general)

French_battleship_Carnot_underway.png

Yes, they are as mad as they look.

And no list is complete without the French Submarine Surcouf

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

And her famed 8" gun turret and rotating centerline torpedo tubes.

Just remember... Every warship was designed for a purpose or role their respective navies saw as necessary or as the best they could manage at the time.

It doesn't make them less fun to look at though.

Edited by InterconKW

28 posts
1,304 battles

Wow! 

Does French Predreadnought Carnot have a bunch of gun ports on the side as well as turreted larger guns? Because if so: I want that ship in this game. Imagine a low tier with like a million secondaries...

Good times!

1,068 posts
3,847 battles
On 2/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, leerm002 said:

Wow! 

Does French Predreadnought Carnot have a bunch of gun ports on the side as well as turreted larger guns? Because if so: I want that ship in this game. Imagine a low tier with like a million secondaries...

Good times!

You might want to check the Japanese Mikasa battleship next time its on sale,lousy main guns but a stack of secondaries!

Unfortunately WG aren't very interested in the early ships like these ( seems to be mainly due to not being profitable for them).

341 posts
4,020 battles
On 2/23/2018 at 7:22 PM, leerm002 said:

Wow! 

Good times!

Unfortunately, compared to other Predreads Carnot didn't have the most formidable light secondary arnament, with only 8 138.6mm guns (4 single mounts per side). She did have 4 65mm and 12 47mm guns too but those would have been of questionable effect against other warships with any level of armor,  What you see are actually large square portholes- one must wonder if they impacted the vessel much in combat!

Something else that came to mind was that the Spanish Navy, which had pretty normal cruisers statistically speaking, built extremely strange superstructures. We're not really talking pagodas but...

Check out Canarias (Essentially a British County-class cruiser)
canarias.jpg

Or the earlier Navarra (comparable to an Emerald)
nav2.jpg
Spanish_cruiser_Navarra_in_the_1940s.jpg

In the realm of "adorable" we have coastal defense ships in general like the Thai Rattanakosin gunboats armed with just 2 6" guns...
royal-thai-navy-coastal-defence-ship-h-t

...a class often overlooked due to their more famous larger (And equally cute) relatives of the Thonburi-class. How can you not love them?
V5qD335.jpg
(Interestingly, Thonburi has been partially stored and preserved, and represents the last surviving of the Japanese-built "heavy cruisers"- Well, Thonburi is a coastal defense ship, but her layout and armaments are very similar to that of Myoko. I had the privilege of seeing but sadly not boarding this vessel recently)

Sign in to follow this