You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkyWarrior_109

Battleships - Massive powercreeps?

20 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,125 battles

I've been playing World of Warships for awhile now, and each match I keep seeing teams of 5+ battleships a game with very few cruisers or destroyers to balance things out.

I feel like battleships are a massive powercreep - they require a ridiculous amount of effort and team cooperation to take down, while in return said battleship can simply delete cruisers and even other battleships, a few battleships even having radar to counter their counter, I.E. destroyers. (another counter is not sailing in a straight line, which is relatively easy to NOT do) 

Playing another class is just not fun, once you realise you can one shot almost any cruiser from 15+ km away (higher tiers) with a substantially higher health pool than everyone else besides enemy battleships. Battleships don't appear to have a solid counter, given how powerful they are - again, in higher tier CV's can't deal with them due to the murderous amount of AA they get. Radar exists, rendering DD's useless, and CLs and CA's will get deleted as usual. The only counter to BB's in my eyes, are other BB's - only they have the penetration and calibre to deal significant damage to each other, while cruisers have to pray to set fires to do anything meaningful, DD's simply praying the enemy BB is a complete idiot and blunders straight into his torps (which only happens in tiers 3 - 5) and no one uses radar (higher tiers again).

"but BB's have lower accuracy, just dodge his shots!" Their accuracy penalty becomes effectively nil the higher you go, dispersion becoming almost non-existent and even glancing blows dealing ridiculous numbers - I got shot on the rear deck but it counted as 8000 damage. 

Super Tester
4,006 posts
4,424 battles

I love games full of BB's.    Fires make credits and XP.  Flooding makes credits and XP.  Continued hits take out multiple secondaries and AA every shot. The can be nothing more than XP donors to a reasonably average CA/DD player and CV players who have a good grasp of their airgroups roles and capabilities.

Looking at your ship line-up you need to play them more to understand how they can be countered.    You have ships that are BB killers.   The MK tears battleships to pieces. I'm not sure where you get the belief that BB accuracy increases so much the higher you go because in general it is just not true and essentially by the time you get to those levels you should have the skills to deal with them.

You haven't got a lot of games under your belt so you will see an increase in your knowledge of the game as well as your skills as you progress

39 posts
10,443 battles

In good players' hands, high tier cruisers and destroyers can get much higher win rates than battleships ever can (assuming playing solo). In my book that is the major downside of high tier battleships, that in terms of direct influence on the outcome, they are significantly worse than other classes.

Although I do have to admit battleships are quite brain-dead, and in certain scenarios they are too strong. Good examples are: all RN battleships; battleship AP against destroyers; 460mm; etc. Compared to cruisers and destroyers, they require so much less effort to play and often turn out to be more rewarding it's not even funny.

435 posts
6,222 battles

Yeah I’ve started playing again this January and the first thing I’ve noticed was all the radar’s and second is that most games are battleship heavy and of those games are generally one-sided.

Just one single mistake by a capital ship and the team goes down by one ship, then thereafter the team will be pick off one by one.

If any capital ship stays for just a minute too long at range and the other team moves into medium range, caps, its gameover.

I’m finding these days that most tier X games are won in the first 5-10 minutes. In the past cruisers could turn a game around but these days if you haven’t got radar or smoke it seems hard to make a difference.

It’s more like a RNG shoot fest than the old game of manoeuvring. Balance used to be equal for every ship playing there role. It’s clear that battleships have the advantage (balance) in today game (excluding smashing CV captains).

“Thus forth thou shall join them”, that’s if you want to compete, make a difference.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

[151ST]
1,030 posts
4,949 battles

Yeah nah...

Just because there are lots of them doesn't mean anything apart from people like playing them.

That's mainly due to their low skill access, ie not hard to do big damage with and survive longer.

Any decent DD or CL/CA player can easily wipe the floor with them.