Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SlamUez

Reflection on Season 8 Ranked

4 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
911 posts

Reflection on Season 8 Ranked

Total Games: 303
Win rate: 54.5%
Average XP: 1767
Average Dmg: 67-70k

* First 80 games, cruised to rank 6 from Rank 13
(Was a walk in the park for the most part of it using BBs, I was experimenting many other ships to determine what was effective and what Meta is currently in game).
* Stayed at Rank 6-7 for next 50 games before hitting Rank 5
(Issue with fresh rank 10s on my team throwing games, many games with AFK players. It takes double the effort to make back loss stars and advance)
* Revisted Rank 6.3 5 times before making progress Would have sucked up around 20 games
(New meta needed to adjust, again was around some fresh Rank 5s that needed to adjust or won't ready for these games).
* Stayed at Rank 5 for around 50 games before going into Rank 4
(This is where I encountered AFK ships, ships that would go solo, DDs that still have no idea how to play and finally Losers that Team Kill their own team for top loser spot).
* Stayed at Rank 4 for 1 week for around 50 games before punching through to Rank 3
(Tough meta, players playing for top loser spot. Had to adjust my play to play the same game but better than these players).
* Fell back to Rank 4.2 stars, Grinded the rest over 3 days in under 30 games to make rank 1
(Solid strategy with Tirpitz grinding 4 stars a night, then Atago grinding 5 stars, finally finishing off with North Cal grinding 4 stars).

I have my strategy on Match Maker, I have avoided the pitfalls of the previous seasons of ranked. I will continue this strategy.
Lets just say I witnessed a clan member lose 19 stars from Rank 2.4 (1 star to rank out but lose all the progress over 3 days).
I have also seen a clan member attempt 2.4, over 50 games, 4 times before ranking out.
I have purposely played the way I have played in a slow and steady state to avoid the mistakes of one past season where I didn't rank out. When MM screws you it will, when it favours you you ride it out.

My thoughts on the ships, as I have played them:

90 games: North Carolina - Best in class, support class, tanky and very accurate guns. Can retreat when needed, its the absolute counter to Cruisers. 
40 games: Alabama - Decent, as strong as NC, but in different ways. Guns horizontal dipsersion not as accurate as North Cal. 400m of concealment matters compared to NC when your dealing with cruisers.
85 games: Amagi - Strong but RNG based heavily, some days plays like a sniper, other days plays like a Shotgun. DMG wise its higher than NC, so its saved myself more lost stars
30 games: Tirpitz - Strong pusher, guns are RNG based heavily moreso then Amagi. But on a good day I have tripled citadelled Atagos. Its lower calibre does wonders sometimes. Amagi's and NCs overpen more, but this thing just crits or pens. I have had a massive win streak on this thing. Torps are useful on the push against bow on BBs.
0 games: Bismarck - Take the tirpitz instead of the Bismarck, the Torps matters
10 games early season: Monarch - This ship is a DSP machine and thats it, it offers no other utility to the team. If the team members die early, this thing is useless because it can't dish out enough DPS to sink ships fast. Its more a support class BB.
Kii: Useless ship, stock amagi, stock guns, gota have rocks in your head to take this one, when Amagi is already RNG dependent.

Atago - Best in class, one of the most scariest ships when played well. It counters everything other than good Atago players and Good martel players. This ship has gotten me 13 stars easily in the premier league. Its my goto ship other than the NC for each opening game each night. (Opening game will affect how you go for the rest of the night).
      - I have solo'd full HP Amagi in this ship at 14-15km, where the Amagi never landed a big hit or any hits at all.
Kutuzov - Good DSP machine, but needs to stay further back. Relies on the team not dying and spotting, this ship is good if the team plays well
Charles Martel - Very good flanker, but again relies on the team not dying early, this ship is a pain to deal with for a BB player.
Chapevey - Radar is useless if you don't communicate. I have seen Chaps use radar on their own without telling anyone where the DD is in cap. They do not coordinate a strike where every ship will dump on the DD. These are wasted opportunities. Chapeveys get nuked easily, I have seen many idiots play them in the open where position and cover is everything.
New Orleans - See chapevey
Prinz Eugen, Hipper - Useless don't bring them

Lo Yang - Best in class, however the counter is the wait it out and coordinate a push late game. If you have radar ships coordinate a strike on Lo Yangs.
Benson/Kidd - Strong but need to be patient and not trade / lose HP early game. Stronger late game.
Ognevoi - Played a game in stock ognevoi for laughs with a 19point captain. Got 2k base XP. However this ship is situational, the concealment isnt the best and relies heavily on lucky torps or the team.
Akizuki - Useless ship when spotted, too clumbersome.
Harekazi - Decent, but requires alot of support.
Hsienyang - For this to work requires coordinating your radar with team to take out DD threat. Otherwise hard to play and quite useless.
Z-23 - Seen 1 good player with this, hats off to him, but I wouldn't take this ship into ranked when its outclassed by a Lo Yang.
Kagero - Best used as a spotting DD and torp spamming DD. Relies heavily on team to do their stuff to support it. Seen some decent players use this one.
Kiev - A useless ship, I had this ship tried to solo my NC. I demolished it in 3 salvos. You can't play this like a cruiser, if you want to play cruiser play an atago.

My thoughts on:

Ranked 11-13 Games:

Just full of potatoes easily exploitable. If your on a losing team, aim to play for top loser. You will grind through these easily

Ranked 10-6 Games:

Some games are tight as you run into the rank 1 unicums from previous seasons. These are no different to Rank 5+ games. But how to progress in this is no different to 11-13 games.
However there will be fresh rank 10s. You need to identify these players and exploit them and their mistakes. Ie, that the opportunity to 1 shot them in BBs, as they generally do not know how to sail or do not know they are out of position. BBs that push too far ahead without knowing the threats.

Ranked 5+ Games: Many games are really tight, the meta on these games are great as you find no one goes straight for caps. Everyone plays conservative, not unusual to go 5 minutes where no one has entered a cap. In situations like this the BB players need to make an advantage play by 1 shooting CAs or reposition to open up the game. To advance you need to make really good plays, like shoot across the map to finish ships. Not usual for me to kill things 20km+, I killed an atago with spotter play at 25km when he disappeared. He was salty afterwards and called my shot lucky. This is not usual when I shoot like this all the time, even in Clan battles. These shots are possible when I make them time and time. Its just practice.

In these games you also want to exploit fresh Rank 5s, as they will most likely not have adjusted to the Meta or be out of position. All it takes is 1 ship to die and the snowball effect kicks in. Similarly on the receiving end, all it takes is 1 mistake and the tide turns.

A note on Top Loser: As you play a number of ships you work out which ship is best played for top loser. I worked out 1 that was consistently better and also gave me the best chance at winning games. So I naturally just used that. It is inevitable you will lose games, so you need to adjust your play style mid game when you know its a loser game to try and not lose that star. However I despise players that just play for top loser from get go without trying to win. The worse are the ones that TK their own team to achieve it, I don't know why this is not banned because clearly the game is not intended to have friendlies delibrately TK.

Overall:

Did I enjoy ranked, Yes (except the TKers). Was it stressful, no, however there was alot riding on it for me. Namely my 5th Rank out for the Black. I also felt some players in the top league don't deserve to be there. Some players still did no understand the mechnanics of the points system and only needed to defend 2 caps to win that the team already has. Except they pushed and died. Enemy team then wins by killing instead of points.

Next Season:

I won't give a toss any more, I will play like a twat. Take the worse ships into ranked purposely and spam games as a social experiment. I will just YOLO rush and trade ships, let the team do the rest.

Good luck to those still trying to keep their sanity together. Those that want to know abit more about Match Making for Ranked. PM Me. I don't want to post my thoughts up, as I will be ridiculed and called a conspirator. Lets just say I have noticed patterns over and over from 7 seasons. Not hard to exploit it, but you still need to play well.

381 posts
9,957 battles

Well written - your analysis is very similar to my observations, especially on cruisers and the top loser spot.

Originally I thought Chapayev would be 1st choice for cruisers but in reality it has proved that the meta and level of coordination on this server is simply not enough to make the radar an OHKO DD button as it should have been, and also due to the fact that the ranked DD population on Asia is significantly lower than that of other servers. I think about 10-15% of my games purely consists of BB/CA, while the majority (~70%) only has 1 DD on each side.

Because of these reasons. kiting cruisers seem to work way more effectively. I notice that most BB players really struggle against flanking Atago and Martel - they usually either panic turn into cover and hide there to avoid getting shot at - which severely limits their effective firing zone, or lose map awareness and push up so far that they get focus fired to death. I've been switching to Atago for R5-1 bracket again to focus on flanking and counter-flanking. Works really well so far - took me only 15 games to get from R5 to R3 in Atago, totally opposite of the 140 games struggle from R10-R5 with Chapayev. Atago is also much easier to get the top loser spot in because it can deal damage consistently throughout the match, survive way longer than other cruisers thanks to the heal as well as being able to sneak into abandoned caps sometimes for extra exp.

In retrospective I find myself so stupid to keep playing support-oriented ships like Chapayev for so long. I am not new to ranked at all - got 3x R1 and 1x R5 already and figured out many seasons ago that I have way better win rate in lone wolf type of ships instead of support ships. I've been falling for the "nice teammate" trap so much in the lower ranks, forgetting that it's better to just deal the damage yourself and carry instead of relying on others to win the game for you.

About my feeling in general, I also like to play ranked more than mid-high tier randoms. The 1st and foremost reason is that it's extremely easy to avoid CV in ranked. 2nd thing is that in ranked people get into their work right from the beginning. In ranked people camp just as much but they camp smartly in logical positions to shape up the formation. Randoms are full of opportunistic players that wait for 5 mins for other to come forward and suffer the focus fire for them before moving out of spawn in Domination mode.

Sign in to follow this