You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Getting the most out of North Carolina

4 comments in this topic

159 posts
3,374 battles

I've had this ship for a little while now and despite the general consensus of being a pretty good all round ship, I'm struggling to get the most out of it. 

Probably my biggest issue with it are the guns. They seem to bounce off everything, whether it be a cruiser at 14km or a broadside Battleship at 6. Is it the velocity and float of the shells which causes this? The HE seems below average, and I've only been using that out of frustration of the AP bouncing. 

Are there any useful tips and tricks on how to play it well? What are the best captain skills and upgrades? What is it's optimal firing range for the plunging fire to be most effective?

Beta Tester
911 posts

This is the best BB for ranked. 

Build it for concealment. 

My captain skills:

Expert loader (with seagull), 6-7.5sec AP/HE swaps are no joke. See a bow tanking BB fire HE on it. 

Expert marksman (seagull makes it turn faster) 

Adrenaline Rush

Super intendent

Concealment expert

Next choice. Tank spec go fire prevention. AA spec go Advance firing training. 

Last 3 points can get basics of survivability for tank spec. 

For AA spec drop AR and get manual AA. The last point on preventative maintenance. 

Play this ship patiently. Learn to aim sneak up on things and one shot them with AP. Learn to stay off the trigger and retreat with the concealment when needed. 

This ship holds its weight even in tier 10 games. I have nuked tier 10 cruisers in it easily.

One tip about its 2.0 sigma. It affects the horizontal vector more than vertical. So work on your vertical aim. It needs to be dead on target otherwise you will miss alot. But when it links expect to see multi citadels. 

As for plunging fire these are for ranges of at least 20km, at this ranges your vertical aiming needs to be spot on or your going to waste alot of shots. 

Edited by SlamUez

159 posts
3,374 battles
1 hour ago, SlamUez said:

This is the best BB for ranked. 

Build it for concealment. 

My captain skills:

Expert loader (with seagull), 6-7.5sec AP/HE swaps are no joke. See a bow tanking BB fire HE on it. 

Expert marksman (seagull makes it turn faster) 

Adrenaline Rush

Super intendent

Concealment expert

Next choice. Tank spec go fire prevention. AA spec go Advance firing training. 

Last 3 points can get basics of survivability for tank spec. 

For AA spec drop AR and get manual AA. The last point on preventative maintenance. 

Play this ship patiently. Learn to aim sneak up on things and one shot them with AP. Learn to stay off the trigger and retreat with the concealment when needed. 

This ship holds its weight even in tier 10 games. I have nuked tier 10 cruisers in it easily.

One tip about its 2.0 sigma. It affects the horizontal vector more than vertical. So work on your vertical aim. It needs to be dead on target otherwise you will miss alot. But when it links expect to see multi citadels. 

As for plunging fire these are for ranges of at least 20km, at this ranges your vertical aiming needs to be spot on or your going to waste alot of shots. 

Thanks Slam,

I've only got an 11pt skipper in it at the moment, but so far I've gone for concealment with the intention of putting more pts into AA. 

The sigma is overall pretty good. I think I must be overcompensating all the bounces by shifting my aim slightly which leads to more overpens through the superstructure or straddling of the target. That combined with a mid tier patience level, using AP probably more than I should, and a higher skill level from T10 players is what is probably holding this ship back a little bit...

Will adjust accordingly and see how it goes.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

if they bounce, chances are you are shooting too low.

If you are shooting at a cruiser that is angled, aim for bow or superstructure

If you are aiming at an angled BB, shoot superstructure or aim for their turrets to take it out. Unless it is T7 BB or lower then just aim for the bow and overmatch them (ahue)

Use HE if you get into a brawl with much bigger ships that always remain angled, AP only if they broadside

btw if you see a T6 BB make it cry using AP, it will almost never bounce