Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
leerm002

I love co-op

59 comments in this topic

30 posts
1,311 battles

So I'm just going to come out and say it: I only play Co-op.

I know, I know, boo-hiss, “git gud” “what are you even doing here?” ect, ect...

The thing is, I don't think I'm the only one either. And because of that, well, I would really like there to be more co-op content for us co-op enthusiasts.

But before I get into that, why do I only play co-op?

In short: I'm not the best player, but I still love the game.

I have no real interest in becoming super skilled, dedicating a ton of time and effort into a video-game (real life is hard enough, thank you,) I also have almost zero competitive desires, and find the abusive nature of a lot of team play really quite distasteful. What I'm here for is to sit back, enjoy the game, have a good time, shoot some ships, and come away with it all with a smile on my face. That's it. Honestly, if there was a single-player campaign version based on World of Warhsips I would buy it in a second...but there is something kinda awesome about the whole co-op experience too.

Much like games like left 4 dead, there can be some really thrilling moments when you and your co-op partner team up and become total badasses, blasting the enemy side by side, or setting them up with a perfect flanking maneuver. Just yesterday I was playing game as a BB, one of my destroyer team-mates came charging in on two enemy DD's and a cruiser. She torpedoed one DD to death, and then got under heavy fire from the other two. I'm chugging away, trying to catch up, and she calls for help. I line up the guns, setting up from where I'm about to come out from behind an island. She speeds past and hot on her tail is the cruiser. I blast it with a full broadside and sink the thing. The other runs, but gets hit by a torp by my friendly DD.

She tells me thanks, it was a close one. I tell her no problem. (Side note: obviously I have no idea what gender the person was, but I think it's more fun to refer to ships as She.)

The point is that it was a great match. It was memorable and cool and I loved participating in it.

...and of course I got barely any experience for the whole thing.

See, that's my issue here. I really like the way that current co-op is set up, and I have no desire to see it turned into a different beast, but it would be nice if we co-op players could see better rewards available. I love the operation thing, and I participate in them whenever I can (having few high tier ships makes it difficult,) but I think it would be nice to have another option or two as well. Something for us co-op players to come back to so that we can actually grind our ships and get to the next tier.

I would make something like 300xp on my tier 5 battleship every match, and I needed something like 45,000 to advance to the next rank. Now that I finally pulled off that grind (with the help of premium time and some premium ships,) I am looking at a 85k grind! I'm not trying to get anything for free here, but come on that's a bit much isn't it?

All I'm saying is: there have to be people like me out there that love the co-op game. I think it would be nice if we had some more content to spend our hours and our money on. That's all really.

Thanks for reading :-)

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
5 minutes ago, leerm002 said:

The thing is, I don't think I'm the only one either. And because of that, well, I would really like there to be more co-op content for us co-op enthusiasts.

I have no real interest in becoming super skilled, dedicating a ton of time and effort into a video-game (real life is hard enough, thank you,) I also have almost zero competitive desires, and find the abusive nature of a lot of team play really quite distasteful. What I'm here for is to sit back, enjoy the game, have a good time, shoot some ships, and come away with it all with a smile on my face. That's it. Honestly, if there was a single-player campaign version based on World of Warhsips I would buy it in a second...but there is something kinda awesome about the whole co-op experience too.

Much like games like left 4 dead, there can be some really thrilling moments when you and your co-op partner team up and become total badasses, blasting the enemy side by side, or setting them up with a perfect flanking maneuver. Just yesterday I was playing game as a BB, one of my destroyer team-mates came charging in on two enemy DD's and a cruiser. She torpedoed one DD to death, and then got under heavy fire from the other two. I'm chugging away, trying to catch up, and she calls for help. I line up the guns, setting up from where I'm about to come out from behind an island. She speeds past and hot on her tail is the cruiser. I blast it with a full broadside and sink the thing. The other runs, but gets hit by a torp by my friendly DD.

She tells me thanks, it was a close one. I tell her no problem. (Side note: obviously I have no idea what gender the person was, but I think it's more fun to refer to ships as She.)

The point is that it was a great match. It was memorable and cool and I loved participating in it.

See, that's my issue here. I really like the way that current co-op is set up, and I have no desire to see it turned into a different beast, but it would be nice if we co-op players could see better rewards available. I love the operation thing, and I participate in them whenever I can (having few high tier ships makes it difficult,) but I think it would be nice to have another option or two as well. Something for us co-op players to come back to so that we can actually grind our ships and get to the next tier.

I would make something like 300xp on my tier 5 battleship every match, and I needed something like 45,000 to advance to the next rank. Now that I finally pulled off that grind (with the help of premium time and some premium ships,) I am looking at a 85k grind! I'm not trying to get anything for free here, but come on that's a bit much isn't it?

All I'm saying is: there have to be people like me out there that love the co-op game. I think it would be nice if we had some more content to spend our hours and our money on. That's all really.

the point of having much lower income in PVE is to force the majrity of the player-base to go play PVP, or buy prem time/flags/camo to help with the grind, it's the reason most of the playerbase is in randoms and is intentional from WG, otherwise having bots as teammates would be much more useful the most of the other idiots on random teams and no one'd bother with PVP

354 posts
9,048 battles

I often play coop to grind stock ships for basic upgrades and whenever it's possible for certain missions - or when I just feel like a quick, stree-free fix, but my experiences don't really mirror those you've described above. I find coop to be anything but cooperative - it's usually a mad dash to get as many kills and do as much damage as I can before others beat me to it, quite the opposite of what would be considered good play in random.

I think it would be excellent if a few lower tier scenarios were available - better rewards, more interesting  and better training for newer players.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts
58 minutes ago, leerm002 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3485922

1,386 posts
8,249 battles

The forum here doesn't judge co-op players, it's fun, straightforward and relaxing. A few active forum members are also co-op lovers.

And I agree with you on the subject of better co-op. If you have participated in previous PT, there was one version in 2016 that had a very simple implementation of "hardcore PvE". The idea of that test mode was instead of mirroring player's team, it gets doubled. So a team with let's say 1 Ryujo 3 Clevelands and 4 Mutsuki gets to fight 2 Ryujo 6 Clevelands and 8 Mutsuki. Apparently a battle that can't be won, that’s why this primitive idea was discarded. But I think some changes to the rule may result in a challenging and competitive alternative. For example, CV and CA/CL only gets mirrored, while BB and DD gets doubled, with the economy coeff near scenario value. And no bot fillup. This would allow more competitive games and be more rewarding. Also allow achievement but only gives less signal flag reward when receiving achievement in this mode.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Nothing wrong to like Coop - I like it too :)

Its good to play without the frustration of random battles. One hope tho is that I do hope the team size can be expanded to 15 people instead of the 7 right now. Sometimes its just too easy, and I'd like a challenge at times.

Alpha Tester
392 posts
13 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

how many clan support Coop Players?:cap_yes:

Mine does. I was just playing PvE scenarios when I received an invitation to join a Japanese clan. All they ask is for members to contribute oil and that's it. In return we get to enjoy the clan's bonuses. No CW or teamspeak whatsoever.

Edited by Nikolaevna

[LBAS]
4,499 posts
25,682 battles
12 minutes ago, Nikolaevna said:

Mine does. I was just playing PvE scenarios when I received an invitation to join a Japanese clan. All they ask is for members to contribute oil and that's it. In return we get to enjoy the clan's bonuses. No CW or teamspeak whatsoever.

great:cap_yes:

mine too :Smile_trollface:

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles
1 hour ago, MatterCore said:

If I'm just playing CoOp, why should I bother about Clans :P

@leerm002 well written my friend, and no you are definitely not alone. We also love co-op, it is stress free, and can also be used as a learning field too. We have @LtDan_IceCream who solely plays co-op and really enjoys it. And don't worry, no one will tell you to "git gud" cause you enjoy co-op. I know many players here who have played a tremendous amount of co-op games. Just look at me, 2.7k co-op battles already. I know for a fact that my good friend @MikuChrome also enjoy co-op and Scenario modes.

Reason why I like co-op: It's just let me to experiment with new ships I unlock, I can test where to target on which ship for how much damage, or, where to camp and lob shells over in my Atlanta. Infact, idk if you would believe it or not, I farmed the 9M credits required for DoY in 3 days just by spamming Atlanta in co-op, without any premium account.

hMoP6Ix.jpg

Many gets frustrated over low amount of xp and credit returns, but hey, that was not what I was looking for in the first place. I don't play co-op for earning xp or captain, I just want to spend time, and don't want to take the stress of PvP shit show, especially during new missions after my 9-10 hours of daily work time.

So, I'm with you, there is nothing wrong with co-op. We love to admire our ships, and that can be best done in port and co-op. So, good luck to you :)

I would however suggest you to try Scenario as well. That is also PvE, with good xp and credit returns. We can farm 6-7k free exp per game on certain Scenario modes.

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

I use co-op to test builds, modules etc.

Also if I just want to bully other ships and pew pew pew etc

I also only do CV in co-op, cuz I'm bad at it :< Went from Hiryuu to Taiho in co-op.

30 posts
1,311 battles

Thanks for all the replies :-) It's good to see so many co-op enthusiasts! 

As far as the "hardcore co-op" that was suggested earlier: I've had a few similar ideas as to how they could do it. The way I see it, what would make for a nice challenge but not be completely impossible is to make it something like 50% harder than standard co-op. Maybe add in like three random lowest tier clone ships to the opposing team? 

As far as the scenarios go: I actually really enjoy them! I find the difficulty is often near perfect for me, providing a real challenge with a good reward. The only real problem I have is how many of them are higher tier, and until very recently I didn't even HAVE a ship higher than tier 5...

1,028 posts
7,503 battles
11 hours ago, leerm002 said:

Apologies, but that’s how far I read your OP. Sorry, wast a bit too long for my taste...

Well, co-op just got more interesting, potentially, with the new mechanics.

Well, play what you like, obviously. Just be aware that the longer you play co-op only, the harder you will find it to play against human players. In co-op it is not hard to sink 2 or 3 ships in a first 5 minutes of the battle because the bots just do banzai charges towards caps and you can flank them and take them out quickly with citadels or torps. Not many human players will be this dumb and predictable, although some maybe.

Over the last 6 weeks I played a lot of scenarios. Random had become a bit frustrating due to matchmaking and scenarios are very good to earn credits, XP and Command XP. All that XP has allowed me to buy a few ships, including Missouri, and train a few commanders to 10+ skill points. With the 8 ships I got out of Xmas crates, there are a fair few new ships for me to learn to drive.

319 posts
6,891 battles
12 hours ago, Pocket_Fox said:

I also only do CV in co-op, cuz I'm bad at it :< Went from Hiryuu to Taiho in co-op.

I also tried this. There was only 1 player on my side and the rest were bots... i still got reported cos i really suck at CV :Smile_facepalm: I wonder if it was the player or the bot that reported me :(

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,851 posts
4,140 battles

Coop is one of the good WG features and its a true shame it wasn't implemented in tanks.

I enjoy it but find it a tad repetitive at times.    Its just a nice change from the stupidity that humans bring to the game.

1,069 posts
3,847 battles
19 hours ago, leerm002 said:

Yep,plenty of players who only play Co-Op and Scenarios here. And WG are catering to us more as well.They seem to be releasing new Scenario's every few months which is good.

I usually only play single players games anyway,so I am not fussed about not playing against other people.Plus the PvP gameplay is frustrating with all the potatoes around!

17 hours ago, MatterCore said:

TWR does.Auslander who runs it asked me to join,and didn't mind I only do PvE.He has pretty relaxed rules.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Coop is one of the good WG features and its a true shame it wasn't implemented in tanks.

I enjoy it but find it a tad repetitive at times.    Its just a nice change from the stupidity that humans bring to the game.

Well TBF, programming tanks to move about in more complex maps (and other things like aiming, angling, spotting, etc.) is quite a hard job compare to Ships.

I'd love to see it one day tho. My Tier 10s are rusting for nearly 2 years now :(

1,354 posts
8,888 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Yeah the lack of coop is one of the reasons why I prefer WoWs and AW over WoT.

Sure PvP can be fun, but sometimes I just don't feel like playing against other people. I grew up playing single-player games anyway so the lack of human enemies doesn't really bother me.

There are plenty of days in WoWs where I don't PvP and just play Coop and Scenarios.

6 posts
2,758 battles

I enjoy doing Operation/Scenarios the most (team mate dependant, of course. Sometimes random players are pretty useless or inexperienced).  They are especially useful for grinding through tier VI (and now VII) and also great for farming free xp. I hesitate to use premium camo and flags, and it's especially frustrating to load a ship up with premium gear only to get blasted off the map for one mistake, essentially wasting it. Sometimes you don't even do anything wrong, the other team is just really skilled.

I should probably mention I'm just an average player, so while I do occasionally have good matches, really good matches are rare and mediocre and below matches are common. With Operations, there's at least a better than 50/50 chance we'll have a good op and everyone will come away with some decent xp and coin. Not always, but more often than not. 4 out of 5 stars still yields decent rewards.

Co-op is very enjoyable as well, though the simple suicidal-lemmings AI and the low rewards dilute the enjoyment a little. These days, Co-op tends to be for slow-grinding new stock-fit boats or finishing up mission requirements (eg: win one match where you kill 1 BB. Just ram your AI counterpart and be done with it) where they are allowed. In December and January you couldn't do a Co-op without seeing a Duke of York.

Random games can vary wildly, though as an average player my ability to overcome a lousy team is limited so overall it tends towards the less enjoyable side of the spectrum. But random games are where the rewards are at, so I'm forced to grind there if I ever want to see higher tier boats in my lifetime. Actually, my biggest complaint for PVP is the entirely random nature of the match making; there are days where I'm actually playing well, my positioning is good and all my shots are landing on target, but we're all going to lose anyway because teammates are retarded and we're getting decimated. Some people are god-like good and can turn that around; I can't.

Sometimes, PVP players mock the PVE guys but I find this attitude retarded. Being toxic to PVE players makes it even less likely they'll want to jump into the PVP pool.  And I do think the OP is right, it would be nice if there was more PVE content for the casual players; there has to be a better way to balance PVE with forcing them to be canon fodder for PVPers.

[CRUX]
11 posts
3,499 battles

Co-op is OK, if you enjoy it that's great.

I do it to grind xp needed for upgrades for new ships, it gives me a chance to get used to the ship in the process, and get the captain back up to speed. I think they charge way too much to retrain captains imo. I also play co-op on my laptop while away at work, the connection speed is to bad to play PVP. So there are good reasons for co-op.

Unfortunately, the lemming AI makes co op too fast ( and predictable) for some ships to really get a work out. CV's particularly I find the game is over before they have a chance to launch more than a couple of attacks. There have been changes to CO op match making in the last patch that may help, but its an area that could use more love.

Something to slow the games down and make them at least a little bit challenging, slightly smarter AI, idk, its not the main part of the game so its a bit limited.

And BAN GAMES WHERE BOTH TEAMS ARE ALL BOTS!!!! I think its ridiculous that you get games where 13 out of 14 are bots when I know there are other players on at the same level looking for games. I guess this is due to the waiting time thing, but I never find those games enjoyable.

1,069 posts
3,847 battles
4 minutes ago, Macras said:

Something to slow the games down and make them at least a little bit challenging, slightly smarter AI, idk, its not the main part of the game so its a bit limited.

And BAN GAMES WHERE BOTH TEAMS ARE ALL BOTS!!!! I think its ridiculous that you get games where 13 out of 14 are bots when I know there are other players on at the same level looking for games. I guess this is due to the waiting time thing, but I never find those games enjoyable.

I usually ask for the Scenario AI to be dropped into the normal PvE missions when I get a survey.And at the least stop the lemming charge they initially do at the start of the match ( although I have found that most DD players do the same and die in the first few minutes,they need some better programming to!). Considering how long we have had Scenario's I don't why WG hasn't upgraded PvE.

There were complaints on the NA forum about the PvE MM when it was changed to only 30 seconds causing matches with majority bots on the human side as well and asking for the timer to be extended again.One of the Devs or Mods took note and was going to pass along the feeback,but as we have seen its still the same.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:16 PM, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

If you have participated in previous PT, there was one version in 2016 that had a very simple implementation of "hardcore PvE". The idea of that test mode was instead of mirroring player's team, it gets doubled. So a team with let's say 1 Ryujo 3 Clevelands and 4 Mutsuki gets to fight 2 Ryujo 6 Clevelands and 8 Mutsuki. Apparently a battle that can't be won, that’s why this primitive idea was discarded.

Didn't WG say they were going to put that mission back into development?Haven't heard anything in ages,so I guess its shelved totally.I was looking forward to it.

203 posts
11,795 battles

Co-op is a place for a fast paced world of warships action.
Sure it can be predictable and get old pretty quick but then again we do have Scenario/Random Battle when you get bored of it.

I'll just be honest and say Co-op and Random battle has somewhat different set of gameplay.
In Co-op you'll notice most of the engagement will be focused around brawling, something random battle players try to avoid because of how "Inconsistant" the outcome could be.
But for Random battle it suddenly turned into Mid-Long range gunnery duel, concealment-detection. There's nothing wrong with this but its also a reason why WoWS gameplay is such a slow pace.
Its annoying to see those who play Co-op like they did in random battle for the same reason, slowing the pace down.
That doesn't mean you can just play Random Battle just like you did in Co-op sadly because you'll get sunk pretty quick, your teammates or even enemy will question you for it.

You might notice a problem here, I'll try to explain it to you.
When you learn how the game works in Co-op you most likely to learn the game around brawling because well that's what you're playing.
But then you jump into random battles a game suddenly turned into Mid-Long range Gunnery Duel, Concealment-Detection and you have to start over learning how this work.
And you'll be learning with a ship that are higher level/tiers.

That lead to another problem when it comes to PvE rewards.
They make it that way so you can't progress through tiers faster than those who play a slower pace version of wows with harder difficulty around complex game mechanics.
So why don't they just make A.I. behave like human players and give full reward just like random battles? - Do you want an even slower gameplay of WoWS? This time enemy hits you with 100% hit rate.

I love Co-op for the exact reason I said above its a fast paced version of World Of Warships. (Also I don't have to wreck anyone's day by destroying them, that's seems to be something they always report me for anyway)
Sure I lose some credits playing it but that's the price I pay for a more enjoyable fast paced match I guess. (I also can skip some ships with it, slower but still a progression)
I hope it stays the way it is, I don't want A.I. to get smarter just so the game could be slowered since I have to deal with that in random battle already.

Sign in to follow this