Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kabur88

HSF Harekaze third hull guns

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3
[BOTES]
Member
34 posts
7,318 battles

First of all, I rarely if ever find anyone who even uses the third hull option for the Harekaze. The gun reload time is just too long and not as competitive as the second hull option. As such I'd like to recommend that the gun reload time to be reduced to be perhaps 3.3 seconds, similar to that of the Benson. So that people actually have a better incentive to use the third hull instead of just using the second hull, 90% of the time.

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[ASALT]
Member
5 posts
4,630 battles

I agree. The harekaze’s selling point was the different hull options and at the moment there seems to be only 1 viable configuration (100mm gun + IFHE).

 

Would even ask if the reload can be lowered to 3 secs as there are only 3 guns in third hull option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
100 posts
1,614 battles

Sup, I actually run the third hull option. Its usable in most scenarios and very flexible due to its turret traverse speed. It enables the user to do drastic maneuvers without dropping aim on the target. However, it is also noted that, as highlighted by the OP, it will not kill anything fast so gunfights are highly dependent on the aim and skill of whoever you are trading with (and in most cases should be DDs. If you are trying to outgun a Cruiser, god help you). In essence, the third hull prioritizes flexibility over damage, and is a more usable option for captains w/o IFHE skill.

Is it under-powered? Nope. Its more of a balancing choice but it could use a slight "quality of life" improvements - e.g. slight increase in rate-of-fire but should not stand toe to toe with gunboat DDs, or give it a higher % chance of fire to compensate for its lack of raw number of guns to improve usability of the HE shells.

At the end of the day, you don't want a premium whereby its blatantly pay-to-win in the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[BOTES]
Member
34 posts
7,318 battles
1 hour ago, U12D13 said:

Sup, I actually run the third hull option. Its usable in most scenarios and very flexible due to its turret traverse speed. It enables the user to do drastic maneuvers without dropping aim on the target. However, it is also noted that, as highlighted by the OP, it will not kill anything fast so gunfights are highly dependent on the aim and skill of whoever you are trading with (and in most cases should be DDs. If you are trying to outgun a Cruiser, god help you). In essence, the third hull prioritizes flexibility over damage, and is a more usable option for captains w/o IFHE skill.

Is it under-powered? Nope. Its more of a balancing choice but it could use a slight "quality of life" improvements - e.g. slight increase in rate-of-fire but should not stand toe to toe with gunboat DDs, or give it a higher % chance of fire to compensate for its lack of raw number of guns to improve usability of the HE shells.

At the end of the day, you don't want a premium whereby its blatantly pay-to-win in the game.

 

Well yes I know what you mean. But the vast majority of players use the Akizuki guns. You get significantly better DPM on cruisers and other ships with it. It also has better AA with those guns. That why I was suggesting to reduce the reload to perhaps 3.3 seconds so that its DPM would at least be comparable to the second hull option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
100 posts
1,614 battles
20 hours ago, kabur88 said:

...  so that its DPM would at least be comparable to the second hull option.

If you were to account for shell shatters, turret traverse (trying to keep up with the target) etc, you realize that the raw DPM doesn't really mean much due to the amount of factors. In summary: In order for the dpm to work to begin with, you need your guns pointed at the target and for the shells to not bounce off like harmless snowballs - both of which are problems (and the balance factor) of the second hull. 

Edited by U12D13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[BOTES]
Member
34 posts
7,318 battles
44 minutes ago, U12D13 said:

If you were to account for shell shatters, turret traverse (trying to keep up with the target) etc, you realize that the raw DPM doesn't really mean much due to the amount of factors. In summary: In order for the dpm to work to begin with, you need your guns pointed at the target and for the shells to not bounce off like harmless snowballs - both of which are problems (and the balance factor) of the second hull. 

You do know that you can just add in IFHE on those shells and you can wreck just about any lower tier DD as Akizuki turrets traverse, reload and penetration with IFHE is quite good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
100 posts
1,614 battles
53 minutes ago, kabur88 said:

You do know that you can just add in IFHE on those shells and you can wreck just about any lower tier DD as Akizuki turrets traverse, reload and penetration with IFHE is quite good.

Yes but for that to happen you NEED IFHE, and to fight a DD, which is situational, and to completely wreck it has to be lower tier and w/o support. IFHE will only compensate and make the HE usable against things like CA/BBs. The entire point is that it becomes a selling point - a great option against other DDs but lackluster vs other types. And this problem can be bypassed by using the third hull option that while not exceptional in any category, it can do decent against targets across the board. 

Tldr, second hull rewards players that have IFHE and wish to play a gunboat style against DDs. Third hull is for more general use situations with poorer skill captains. It gives a decent choice between both hull types. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[BOTES]
Member
34 posts
7,318 battles
22 hours ago, U12D13 said:

Yes but for that to happen you NEED IFHE, and to fight a DD, which is situational, and to completely wreck it has to be lower tier and w/o support. IFHE will only compensate and make the HE usable against things like CA/BBs. The entire point is that it becomes a selling point - a great option against other DDs but lackluster vs other types. And this problem can be bypassed by using the third hull option that while not exceptional in any category, it can do decent against targets across the board. 

Tldr, second hull rewards players that have IFHE and wish to play a gunboat style against DDs. Third hull is for more general use situations with poorer skill captains. It gives a decent choice between both hull types. 

Even without IFHE, you can do some damage against other ships if you just use AP. Akizuki guns with AP only might not do as much damage as HE, but by getting a broadside target, you can do massive amounts of damage. By using the second hull, you have 6 guns at 3 second reload, that's 120 shells a minute. Compared to hull three, which is 3 guns at 4 second reload, that's 45 shells a minute. Akizuki turret traverse might be slightly worse but it's still good enough to shoot other DDs without having to turn the ship just to aim guns. Not to mention that second hull option also has the best AA out of all the hulls.

Tldr, second hull has better DPM in all situations if you know what shells to use, more so with IFHE as well as better AA. Third hull only has better turret traverse but isn't that much better than second hull turret traverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×