You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
karrablaster123

German Cruisers or DD line?

18 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,617 battles

German CAs painful at tiers 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. 

German CAs fun at tiers 9 and 10.

German DDs just moderately painful at tiers 7 and 8.

German DDs fun at tiers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10.

Z-52 is the best. 

273 posts
1,220 battles

Nurnberg at t6 is fun when you dont get MM with t8 ships. Shoot at 15-16km and just kiting away while shooting. You can even play stock Nurnberg like I did but be careful how you angle your ship. 1 wrong move showing broadside will get you back to port in no time. If you don't feel comfortable playing stock, just upgrade to hull b or steering gears mod 2 then you can Initial D doing tokyo drift.

Get Demolition Expert skills over SI.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles
3 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

German CAs painful at tiers 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. 

German CAs fun at tiers 9 and 10.

German DDs just moderately painful at tiers 7 and 8.

German DDs fun at tiers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10.

Z-52 is the best. 

Like what , i mean really ...

German CA line is a fun ride i mean if you are used to the 2x back turret setup. The only oddball in the line is the Yorks and it play like an IJN CA.

Weak ship in the line include the tier 4 and tier 8 where their low DPM hurt them a lot.

German DD i cant comment , only got Gaede after all

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
398 posts
14,970 battles

I would argue that the Königsberg is the best T5 CL in the game, premiums included. Painful it most certainly isn't.

273 posts
1,220 battles
6 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

The only oddball in the line is the Yorks and it play like an IJN CA

The Yorck plays more like USN CA. With the high shells arc you can play exactly like cleveland/pepsicola and close brawling with 6km torps with 210mm AP loaded makes it dangerous. 1 good AP salvo to broadside CA at 5-8km, instant jet flight back to port

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

German CAs are fantastic starting from Tier 4. Yes, Karlsruhe is fantastic, and from my performance, she is the best T4 for me. Konigsberg and Nurnbergs are fantastic with their fire setting capabilities (plus, they get the german HE pen), and their AP can ruin any broadsider's day. Yorck has very slow shells, but she has workable armor. From that point upwards, German CAs keep getting better and better. Hipper packs the best AA in tier 8 tech tree (yes, better than US CA) only second to Kutuzov. They also have bow that cannot be overmatched by 380mm AP. And hindenburg is one of the best TX CA, one of the best AA too.

I don't really see any bad one on that line. Just that their play style is a bit safer and you have to maintain distance from enemy battleships, which is fine IMO.

For German DDs, starting from T6, things keep getting better and Z52 is fantastic. I would recommend going with the CA line first. German DDs are hybrids that require a mix of USN and IJN DD playstyle.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,490 battles
14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

German CAs are fantastic starting from Tier 4. Yes, Karlsruhe is fantastic, and from my performance, she is the best T4 for me. Konigsberg and Nurnbergs are fantastic with their fire setting capabilities (plus, they get the german HE pen), and their AP can ruin any broadsider's day. Yorck has very slow shells, but she has workable armor. From that point upwards, German CAs keep getting better and better. Hipper packs the best AA in tier 8 tech tree (yes, better than US CA) only second to Kutuzov. They also have bow that cannot be overmatched by 380mm AP. And hindenburg is one of the best TX CA, one of the best AA too.

I don't really see any bad one on that line. Just that their play style is a bit safer and you have to maintain distance from enemy battleships, which is fine IMO.

For German DDs, starting from T6, things keep getting better and Z52 is fantastic. I would recommend going with the CA line first. German DDs are hybrids that require a mix of USN and IJN DD playstyle.

What he said. 

Strong points of German ships

• they all in effect get free IFHE
  • Stronk German Hydro . Push those smoked up ships and make them weep salty tears.
  • T5/T6 have great range - which T5/6 cruisers need at this tier and great rear turrets, they can kite away and do a lot of hurt at range. And the Nurnberg has a crazy rate of fire
  • German 203mm AP hits ++  hard at sub 10km ranges

Weak points

• Yorck is a bit of an odd duck in the line, it worked very well for me.But I found my self relying more on HE than I should have
  • T5/T6 HE is low in damage - you are relying on fires = pray to RNG. Actually I thinky across the board German HE has lower damage
  • T5/T6 have armour that is about as good as used toilet paper. And are made of citadels. Destroyer AP will melt you if you give broadside
  • T5/6 have some of  lowest HP pool of cruisers in tier 
  • German AP loses velocity over range - unlike US super heavy AP which even at range hits like a hammer. At longer ranges you can see a lot of bounces.
  • The flavour of the line changes a bit at the upper tiers and you may need to reskill your captain

I'm at T8 in German cruisers, T6 in German DDs. Have to say I have found the cruisers and easier play than the DDs.

My gut tells me I will like the DDS more when I get to the high tiers and the hydro gets stronger

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,722 battles

A famous Mexican philosopher once asked the question "why not both?"

I find both lines fun with the usual roller coaster ride of pain and joy when it comes to their/my performance in battle.

26/01-29/01 is German discount cruiser weekend if that is a consideration for your hard earned credits.

520 posts
11,127 battles

For me, german DDs are great starting from tier 7 to 10.  Fast torpedo reload, punchy guns and Gimiky Hydro are great in flushing out Smoke Hiding bad guys... 

It is known that German DDs react harshly to the enemy AP.  Expect to receive full damage potential from all kinds of AP.

Regarding german CA.... the only one I like is the tier 8 Prinze Eugen.... which I am still waiting to get.

[LONER]
60 posts
2,582 battles

Unless there’s been a change that I’ve missed, isn’t the Prinz Eugen just an Admiral Hipper clone?

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, luftkopf said:

Unless there’s been a change that I’ve missed, isn’t the Prinz Eugen just an Admiral Hipper clone?

Fundamentally, yes. Not to the point though.

[LONER]
60 posts
2,582 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Fundamentally, yes. Not to the point though.

Fair enough.

980 posts
12,617 battles
23 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

I would argue that the Königsberg is the best T5 CL in the game, premiums included. Painful it most certainly isn't.

Actually that is true. Konigsberg and Nurnberg are ok. 

I have PTSD from good Nagato players that shot at me when I was grinding them. Triple citadels through the stern. 

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles
19 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Actually that is true. Konigsberg and Nurnberg are ok. 

I have PTSD from good Nagato players that shot at me when I was grinding them. Triple citadels through the stern. 

I love the Konigsberg. Best cruiser in the line apart from Roon and Hindenburg. 

181 posts
4,257 battles

I really enjoyed the Hipper, can do literally everything with that ship, have the most battles with it, a 19 point captain and still play it to farm elite commander xp when in ranked or when I'm not playing my GK. I know Roon and hindenburg are good but that doesn't mean Hipper is bad.

That said Yorck and Konigsberg might be good compared to other CA/CLs in their tiers but are detonation magnets, Nurnberg is the weakest, I prefer playing the Graf Spee at that tier. To conclude, in KM cruiser line the fun starts from tier 7.