You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Darkshaunz

5 Types of Players from the DoY Campaign

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
142 posts
2,615 battles

Over the past few weeks, we have all been undertaking a fantastic journey together. By fantastic, I mean painful - like getting teeth pulled without any painkillers.

Just when you think random games couldn't get much "crazier" from the day to day, Wargaming asks us all to hold their vodka.

Here's five types of people I came across in the campaign, at some point - I was at least one of these people as well.

#1 THE YOLO GUY (By far the most unpredictable)

The YOLO Captain is many things - but patient he is not. The YOLO Captain only has one objective: Get as much of the progress bar done in one game as possible. If the mission doesn't include the "WIN" stipulation, then you can rest assured that this guy will literally ignore everything on the map (including objectives). There is a decent probability that he may have bought the Emerald because he remembered that the floating citadel has 16 torpedoes. This is the same person that is quietly upset if it's an open map with very little islands to hug his torpedo platform next to, as that is their gameplan every game until the mission is done. This is also the same person that gets mad if you killsteal the battleship he was recklessly sailing into to drop torps, or if you were doing the same thing as him - and your torps hit the target first before his.

If you were not afraid of islands before, he will put the fear of stars into you.

#2 THE FLAG COLLECTOR

I've seen people in all chat on the verge of tears as they share the fact that they are just redoing any of the following missions for the stars:

• Repeat Grind 35000/45000/75000 XP ("I'm running out of XP camos/flags")
  • Repeat Grind 1.5M/3M credits ("I'm actually thinking of buying a Missouri with real money conversions")
  • Repeat Grind 25000 Commander XP ("How do I still have Dragon flags left?")

These guys have their ships looking like the front lawn of the United Nations Headquarters, nothing but flags fully covering the vessels. It's also a great excuse for them to use up all the ugly "Frosty Fir Tree" camos they got from opening 20 santa crates, hoping to get a ship - but instead getting terrible flags and camos.

8/8 slots for signal flags wasn't enough.

#3 THE RANKED BATTLER

The Ranked Battler is a cunning and shrewd operator. He realizes that it is significantly easier to score the "High Caliber" and "Dreadnought" achievements in Ranked Battles due to the smaller team sizes. He can be seen in a Tier 8 Battleship, and is seemingly unfazed on whether or not he is winning or losing stars, but more concerned about landing tasty big numbers on the enemy battleships on the opposing team. Sometimes, the Ranked Battler captain walks out of a match with a Win, High Caliber, and Dreadnought medal - laughing all the way to his Duke of Yuck + Krispy Kreme icing camo scheme.

#4 THE COUNTER-PICKER

World of Warships is supposed to a Rock, Paper, Scissors kind of game - and the Counter-Picker Captain is the guy that will choose a class that throws a winning hand at each stage of the timegated missions. This is because he either: i) Bought the Duke of York from the store, or ii) Doesn't care about the missions. He was the DD captain that was sinking battleships midway through the campaign, and he is the CL captain with two of his friends setting down a smoke + radar honey trap for the people spamming DDs towards the end of the campaign. Whatever his motives are, the Counter-Picker is very dangerous, because he goes against the potato herd meta.

#5 THE EARLY ADOPTER

I have heard rumours of a thing called, "Jobs". According to my personal research, having a job means other human beings pay you money for services rendered. You can use this money as currency to exchange goods and services - including virtual botes in a game run by Russians. The Early Adopter was the rarest of the people I encountered, these individuals have chosen to use money from their "Jobs" to buy the Duke of York early, in order to laugh at the sad peasants that must grind through the campaign to get the ship for free. They could be seen smugly sailing their KGV knock-off in the first days of the campaign, laughing at people because their time is actually worth more than most. This is all well and good, until some of them inevitably realize that they paid for a pretty bad clone of the KGV with actual money - resulting in secret buyer's remorse.

#6 SECRET PLAYER

Spoiler

The Captain which successfully did the 90,000 torpedo damage mission on his first try. Rarer than the Elder Scrolls.

Edited by Darkshaunz

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles

#7 THE PLAYER WHO DON'T CARE

how many days left? i'm still 1 star lol, not gonna subject myself to frustration just for one ship..play the game to have fun

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

90000 torp dmg is kinda easy though, especially if you play high tier IJN DD,  just play Yuugumo couple of match for 90000 dmg mission, much more reasonable than spamming 50000 dmg to BB mission in previous stage just for get 1 star:Smile_facepalm:

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

I know someone in the forum who detonated a full HP Montana with torps. That doesn't happen everyday. But yeah, DoY grind was bit of mindless too and I too gave in. Winrate dropped from 70% to 50% for few days. Need to div pad later to bring those up again and make certain forum people Jelly.

:Smile_glasses:

273 posts
1,220 battles
9 hours ago, Darkshaunz said:

#6 SECRET PLAYER

Hide contents

The Captain which successfully did the 90,000 torpedo damage mission on his first try. Rarer than the Elder Scrolls.

:cap_tea: did it with a shima on 1st try. piece of cake

1,018 posts
7,490 battles
20 hours ago, Darkshaunz said:

having a job means other human beings pay you money for services rendered.

Earning money is a good thing, it pays for the roof over your head and the food on your table... and your gaming PC. You should try it, earning money, I mean. :cap_cool:

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

#1 THE YOLO GUY

This is how my DoY grind looks like. Yep, just spammed ships without thinking about teams :D Because teammates did not think about it, why should I.

1YRnUq8.jpg

Everything goes up, but the winrate. Time to pad.

Edited by icy_phoenix