Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thebats

HMS MALAYA

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
5 posts
5,157 battles

Hi guys,

Maybe some of you know about it and maybe some of you did not. Ever heard of HMS Malaya?

HMS Malaya is a Queen Elizabeth Class Battleship. Construction of the ship was sponsored by 4 Sultans (Perak, Selangor, Pahang & Negeri Sembilan) of Malaya (now known as Malaysia. Please take note that Malaysia is the only country that have many Sultan's). The ship was build by Sir W. G. Armstrong Withworth and was launched on 1915. Even it was sponsored by Malaya, it was never used to protect Malaya.

Pic of the ship:

HMS_Malaya.jpg

Ship Details:

Name:    HMS Malaya

Namesake:    Federated Malay States

Ordered:    1913

Builder:    Armstrong Whitworth

Laid down:    20 October 1913

Launched:    18 March 1915

Commissioned:    1 February 1916

Decommissioned:    1944

Struck:    12 April 1948

Fate:    Scrapped

HMS_Malaya.jpg

Beta Tester
7 posts
674 battles

Never heard of this ship before, as I do know there are few warship from British came to malaya during ww2. Correct me if Im wrong regarding about this history.I'm a Malaysian by the way.

Edited by Castle555

Beta Tester
5 posts
5,157 battles

The 2 ship was HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales. Both ships was sunk by Japanese Imperial Navy.

Prince of Wales come to Malaya to fight the Japanese Navy after successfully sunk German battleship..Bismarck

Beta Tester
5 posts
5,157 battles

Actually HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales were accompanied by a British Carrier. Im not sure the ship name. But she is too slow because her landing deck was made from concrete. Usually the landing deck for the aircraft is from wood. Correct me if im wrong

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Actually HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales were accompanied by a British Carrier. Im not sure the ship name. But she is too slow because her landing deck was made from concrete. Usually the landing deck for the aircraft is from wood. Correct me if im wrong

The plans to accompany Prince of Wales and Repulse with a carrier was only provisional. The British Admiralty considered sending the carrier Indomitable, but she ran aground and was delayed (and even if she wasn't, it was doubtful she'd have reached in time). The carrier Hermes was also considered, but it was also unavailable.

Beta Tester
7 posts
674 battles

The 2 ship was HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales. Both ships was sunk by Japanese Imperial Navy.

Prince of Wales come to Malaya to fight the Japanese Navy after successfully sunk German battleship..Bismarck

Interesting to know that Bristish Royal Navy cooperate with the sultans in order to fight against the Japs, since Malaya at that time is still under British.

It was never told in our school history, but it is very important to our generation to know how the British trying to protect Malaya at that time.

Beta Tester
7 posts
674 battles

Just as an aside, "Jap" can be considered a racial epithet/insult, along the lines of "chink", etc.

I'm sorry, I din't know this but thanks for the info and advise.  I will use 'Japan' instead. 
Edited by Castle555

1 post

All Royal Navy carriers had steel or armored flight decks whereas USN carriers had wooden flight decks and burnt very well. The comment about concrete is about a Kamikaze attack on a British Pacific Fleet carrier was swept into the sea with the resulting dent in the steel was filled with (quick drying) concrete to enable the carrier to keep flying! 

Sign in to follow this