You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
luftkopf

Please help me git gud!

13 comments in this topic

[LONER]
60 posts
2,582 battles

Hi guys.

After a couple of frustrating days of botes, and being unsure of what I need to do to break through to not being useless, I thought I’d ask the forum for some general advice. 

I have a tendency to kite my cruisers, and I try to hang back a bit in my battleships until I’ve seen how the enemy had deployed so I can push up into favourable matchups, and not get caught outnumbered, but just as often I'll push a bit too aggressively and overextend and die.

The last couple of days have felt like there’s nothing I can do to get a win. Just about the only wins I’ve got have come after I died early, having done practically no damage. Get High Caliber in the Gneisenau, and it is a lost game.

Some notes: I have the Bismarck, and I’ve unlocked several Tier VIII Cruisers, but I’m not in a hurry to use them. I’m not ready for Tier VIII.

I tried German destroyers, and absolutely hated them. I kept thinking ‘maybe the next one is better,’ and upgrading to the next tier with free xp. I eventually realised that I am just #%^* at destroyers, and have sold them all except the Okhotnik, which is a heap of fun for some reason, and the Vampire, so I can look at it. 

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/community/accounts/2015542329-luftkopf/

https://asia.warships.today/player/2015542329/luftkopf

1,105 posts

play CV

i mean play IJN CV, saipan and enterprise is fine. as long as you are not AFK or DC-ed, become noob CV and burden for the team is fine. if your team blaming you, its their fault for not playing CV.

after you reach Taiho, you can basically become gitgud in almost everyship except DD. you can see how to carry in WoWs is actually possible.

what are you waiting for? play CV.... i mean IJN, USN CV is crap now....

318 posts
6,863 battles

There are a mass of videos available on YouTube that can be a good guide to ship types and classes. UrPeaceKeeper does some very good breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses of individual ships. Some will recommend Flammu, but imo you need help with instruction rather than pew pew.

Find a line that you want to stick with, experiment a little, and don't worry about stats as they will get better in time. 

435 posts
6,169 battles

Learn to hit the enemy where it hurts, it’s just that simple.

However, the learning part is knowledge and that takes time, that is class by class, ship by ship timewise. Don’t shoot blindly at the hull, shoot with purpose, shoot at their weakest points, structure by structure, pixel by pixel even.

And before this thread is bombarded with defence opinions! as you learn attack you will learn your own weakness.

PS, I wouldn’t skip ships, do the grind and learn all there is to learn.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

520 posts
11,127 battles

If you want to be gitgud.. embrace the strengths and weaknesses of the ships you play, and learn from your mistakes.  Learn from your playstyle and just adapt to the situation that you are in.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,285 posts
1 hour ago, Skarhabek said:

play CV

i mean play IJN CV, saipan and enterprise is fine. as long as you are not AFK or DC-ed, become noob CV and burden for the team is fine. if your team blaming you, its their fault for not playing CV.

after you reach Taiho, you can basically become gitgud in almost everyship except DD. you can see how to carry in WoWs is actually possible.

what are you waiting for? play CV.... i mean IJN, USN CV is crap now....

tenor.gif?itemid=4838458

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
396 posts
14,966 battles
6 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

PS, I wouldn’t skip ships, do the grind and learn all there is to learn.

This is solid advice. In the past there's been a few ships I've almost come to the end of a grind before I've really worked out how best to use them.

[LONER]
60 posts
2,582 battles

Thanks for the tips guys.

@Skarhabek I do have a Zuiho, but I'm not a big fan of the carrier gameplay. Too much micromanagement needed, and it generates too much salt when a Kamikaze R gets past my entire team and ends my game early.

@BuckleUpBones My gunnery skills definitely do need improvement, but a lot of my games are in German Battleships, and sometimes I think they couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. 

Aside from skipping all the way to the Leander, I am not skipping ships much any more. I use my free xp for modules now. I will start new lines at Tier III or IV now. 

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
10 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

@icy_phoenix is a one of the best players here on the forums with a very high win rate - im sure he can weigh in here and give you some tips! 

You are more worried about my winrate than I myself am. I sense jealousy.... Wait, no, don't worry, I am now constantly yoloing to reduce it. Check my recent stats.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Now you got me thinking, should I reveal my secrets???

Hmm…

Ok…

First I hang my lucky rabbit foot to the centre of my screen.

I pin my four leaf clover to my chess, right-side.

And I got my horseshoe hanging on the wall to the left.

I watch one episode of “Benny Hill” before playing destroyers.

And one episode of “The Goodies” before playing battleships.

And finally I rattle my lucky dice when firing a salvo.

I hope this helps.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

48 posts
6,091 battles

Eh, sorry mate. No easy way around it since you can potato every now and then. I'd reccomend to plan your positioning and try to predict where enemies will go and what they would do but that takes time to learn. UrPeacekeeper's video helps in learning your ships, and knowing stats like radar range and max concealment seems to improve games, but the sure way is playing more games

Ps: german BB's dispersion suck, but having 0,5sec mean time from each shot seems to help the accuracy

Edited by n00b1e
Adding content