Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

How to Nelson?

11 comments in this topic

423 posts

I just got the Nelson from a bunch of free xp and I'm struggling with it.

I've tried using the AP but it seems to me that the shells are either slow or slow down fast in the air and that's been throwing off my aim. (Or is just me with a new ship?)

Also, I'm not seeing the results that you should be in a British BB firing HE.  

Any suggestions?

[COAT]
1,183 posts
10,158 battles

Concealment needed.

Like other UKBBs,toast enemy with HE.

Never show broadside because it is very,very fragile.

Bow towards enemy like a big middle finger.

For upgrades,I prefer:

Main armaments(Actually its main guns are easily decapitated by other BBs)

AA upgrade(from 2.5km to 3km makes AA more useful)

Steering gears upgrade

Edited by User_1145141919810

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

Angle to get all 3 turrets on target.  Don't overangle, its got a pretty high citadel

Stay near other AA ships.  Yours is only good at close range.

Bowtanking doesn't work.

Don't waste repair party on fires.  Use your superheal.

46% fire change is very workable, but its AP is still good.

Rely on its heal to win though being able to trade a ton of damage.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,495 battles

What everyone else said, bow is vulnerable, angle enough to bait shots at your side belt, like@RalphTheTheatreCat implied, if you just turn enough to get all 3 turrets on that prob about right. The turret placement lets wiggle between shoots pretty easy

Never repair less than 3 fires unless you are about to die. Always have an India Delta flag mounted.

The turret placement is a massive strength, as the back turret does not need to rotate you can hold a midlde position and switch targets. This combined with the broken UK fire chance means you can set a fire, switch target, set another fire, oh the first target repaired? Well switch back and BBQ him. But remember AP is ALWAYS best against 90% of cruisers and any thing giving you the broadside. 

Rinse and repeat, abuse the mega heal and watch the Dreadnaught and Fireproof awards flood in.

The guns seem a bit on or off,sometimes they are very accurate, other times a bit allover the place. Not sure what the sigma is.

I am pretty crap at BB play, but so far my WR is by far the bestin BB. Stick with a friendly cruiser for AA, dont over extend and you should be golden.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

Nelson AP is very very strong. They are 406mm at tier 7. They punch through pretty much everything at her tier. You don't need to HE spamming with Nelson. You just need to learn to aim like in NC. What makes her good is her turret placement. You can angle port and starboard without rotating the guns 360 degrees. Try to abuse this.

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Nelson AP is very very strong. They are 406mm at tier 7. They punch through pretty much everything at her tier. You don't need to HE spamming with Nelson. You just need to learn to aim like in NC. What makes her good is her turret placement. You can angle port and starboard without rotating the guns 360 degrees. Try to abuse this.

Nelson AP is definitely more usable than KGV, but strong?

Historically, the 16"/45 Mark I was notorious for their low projectile mass and rather slow muzzle velocity. This results in a horrible weapon, putting the Nelson class as the worst guns of the "big seven" after the American and Japanese introduced new shells and refined their manufacturing process.

And it's basically the same thing in game. Take a few guns for comparison

Nelson: 560/447/357

Mutsu: 550/427/331

Warspite: 547/444/362

KGV: 528/433/355

Kongo: 590/471/377

Yes it has a gorgeous caliber of 16", but it's penetrating power is subpar. It doesn’t have special ricochet angle, and it's short fuse which isn’t exactly a good thing for battleship guns.

but of course, when playing as top tier of the match Nelson can almost always rely on AP (save for a few ships like Scharnhorst/Gneisenau Bayern and Fuso, these ships have thich weather deck, upper belt, bow waterline belt, resulting in only small parts of the bow section prone to overmatch.) But when getting uptiered, turn to the dark side is definitely an option.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

381 posts
9,957 battles

My thought from playing this ship:

-Decent accuracy although I feel the vertical dispersion is weird sometimes.

-Godlike HE. No need to comment more on this I guess. Just don't be too reliant on it.

-Pretty trash AP - the only advantage it has is the ability to overmatch. Penetration is so low that it isn't funny. I can't believe that I still get occasional shatter on broadsiding Nelson/Izumo at 10km instead of full pens or citadel. AP shells seem to be slower than other nations by 0,5-1s but I haven't checked carefully in training room. I'd recommend to aim for superstructure hits instead of belt/waterline if you want to use AP against high tier BB past 10km, otherwise just switch to HE for lulz 2x fires + 10k HE damage. AP still works well against cruisers though.

-Armor is both bad and good.

Good: You have 32mm plating amidships instead of 25mm like most T7 BB (except the German ones) so you actually have some resistance to 380-410mm shells provided that you angle well. Your 350+ mm belt armor is also fairly thick at that tier - you'll rarely get citadel'd by 356mm guns and weak 380mm QE/Bayern and even your own 410mm guns past 12km.  So don't be afraid to turn away and get out of a tricky situation if the opposing BB are only T5/6 BB.

Bad: very high citadel plus 25mm bow. Ships with strong 380mm+ guns like Gneisenau/Nagato and most t8/9 BB are almost guaranteed to citadel you if you show the slightest of your broadside. Bow-overmatched citadel hits are also more common. And you get toasted by HE but well the whole line suffers from that.

-The heal is super good but it isn't life saver if you are against 3+ HE spammers or higher tier BB. Choose your position very carefully because you're slow.
-Mediocre AA + torp belt. Do not go alone in a CV game but I guess every BB does that already :P

423 posts

Thank you everyone,

Have played the NC and like it. Will keep those shells in mind. 

Will try your advice and come back with the results.

Fair winds and excellent currents y'all. 

Sign in to follow this