You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

Incoming guaranteed WoWS framerate drops soon, for all players with Intel CPUs + nVidia GPUs

53 comments in this topic

[151ST]
1,296 posts
6,419 battles

So on my 60hz monitor I go from 120fps to 100... Yeah I won't notice the issue at all.

Don't freak out, remember that 60hz monitors (most common) can really only accurately display 60fps.

I tend to fps limit anyways to avoid straining my GPU and thus reducing it's life.

Sorry to hear for those affected though!!

[SH0T]
134 posts
26,996 battles

Most games are GPU bound yes, where it shouldn't be an issue at all!! But don't forget this is Wargaming, when it comes to optimization they are literally the lawrence of incompetence. As I was trying to uphold earlier, for some reason this game does dump significant load on CPU instead of the GPU, thus some people might experience increase low 1% framerates or more frequent drops/instability.

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,420 posts
11,437 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

So on my 60hz monitor I go from 120fps to 100... Yeah I won't notice the issue at all.

Don't freak out, remember that 60hz monitors (most common) can really only accurately display 60fps.

I tend to fps limit anyways to avoid straining my GPU and thus reducing it's life.

Sorry to hear for those affected though!!

WoWs has a FPS limit built in with a maximum of 75FPS.(can be disabled IIRC) That is pretty easy to reach, even with the rather pessimistic 30% performance decrease in processor.

Intel processor has been making little progress over the last few years, arguably from IVB or Haswell.(IMO Haswell, as IVB was not supposed to have much of a performance gain due to being a "tick", a process shrink rather than a performance boost) However each generation still has 5-10% gain over the last gen. So even with a blow critical as 30%, you will still end up getting performance similar to a SNB. And SNB isn’t a shyt processor by any means. 

• Cool 1

[SH0T]
134 posts
26,996 battles

Well the concern isn't a consistent 30% drop I would guess, cause if that was the worry that would be a ridiculous analogy. But the frequency of sudden momentary drops might increase and that by itself is hella annoying. -_-' . A pentium 4560 should be able to run this game smooth well over 75fps, however my friend using his kaby lake i5 still experiences random performance drops [ specially when particular settings are raised even though it shouldn't bother the CPU ] from time to time. 

[DBN1]
Beta Tester
823 posts
5,202 battles

I use between 15-20% of my CPU playing WoWS and running other background apps.

And I haven't even overclocked my CPU.

Game is @ 19200x1200 evveeerrrything maxed out. V-synced at 60hz/fps

GTX1080 Ti

It could be double CPU usage for all I care, it wouldn't even come close to being noticeable for me.

But I imagine the fanboys as well as AMD and their shareholders will be taking to social media, beefing it up, fanning the flames and spreading misinformation.

[SH0T]
134 posts
26,996 battles

Err dude its not about being a fanboy, and 7700k + 1080ti those config would run almost all AAA title maxed out at 60fps. I am certain the majority here sports something more along the lines of i5s or i3s and not the K series either, they are the ones who are likely to get affected much more. 

And about AMD taking to social media, they wont even bother, cause this issue will be taken by corporations to the court ultimately if intel doesn't provide a permanent fix for it. Though I doubt any bios or permanent kernel fixes would be provided for the commoners. 

[151ST]
1,296 posts
6,419 battles

I worry about RU server... Not to mention all the young'uns on Asia :cap_fainting:

[1-ATF]
Super Tester
730 posts
3,549 battles

This is not how Moore's Law was supposed to work.

So far noticed no changes to performance. Running a 2600 with a gtx 950. Premiere Pro edits (heavily reliant on CPU and GPU) just as smooth as before.

Maybe it's a good time to get a xeon pc?

Edited by pwnies5600

[HMAS_]
1,921 posts
13,337 battles

So, if I don't run patches, fixes etc, will that mean I can still keep my frame rate??? 

I like to see my own ships sink in highest quality possible, & detonations look extremely realistic at the moment   :Smile_trollface:

I remember back in the days of the good old commodore 64... never had any of these worrys, & the coveted elusive jewellery to find was a 1571 disk drive, & yes, I did finally get one, as well as the rare 1570 disk drive........ those were the days when things were simpler...... 

:cap_yes:

Load "*", 8, 1

Run

Ordrazz

• Cool 1

[TWR]
1,222 posts
4,702 battles
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

So, if I don't run patches, fixes etc, will that mean I can still keep my frame rate??? 

I like to see my own ships sink in highest quality possible, & detonations look extremely realistic at the moment   :Smile_trollface:

I remember back in the days of the good old commodore 64... never had any of these worrys, & the coveted elusive jewellery to find was a 1571 disk drive, & yes, I did finally get one, as well as the rare 1570 disk drive........ those were the days when things were simpler...... 

:cap_yes:

Load "*", 8, 1

Run

Ordrazz

I got the big box pack for the C64 in late 1988 ( the 64,tape drive,joystick, 4 programming books,several games and a keyboard overlay that was a piano type keyboard),was about $400 at that time.

A few months later I got the disk drive,damn thing was as expensive as the C64 box!

Still got all that stored away.When I move later on and have the room its getting set up for some old school fun!

On the patch,I wonder how much of a risk it is if we don't install it?I always vet my updates so won't bother with it till I am sure what the hell is going on with it.

Edited by BanditSE1977

199 posts
5,019 battles
13 hours ago, Mingfang47 said:

Still waiting for Win7 patch on that fix but it's due on Tuesday they said.

That's for the automatic download, KB4056897 is already out. You can read about it here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056897

You can the standalone version, it was released along with the Win 10 version on January 4th.

You can get it here https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897

Edited by darkflame88

[TWR]
1,222 posts
4,702 battles

The update only just appeared for me in a windows monthly security notification.

Just wondering if anyone has had any slowdown  on the machines or if like pwnies5600 its a non issue.

[LBAS]
357 posts
5,870 battles

nope, not going to patch it. i say the imperative will be for servers to patch first and mitigate the more valuable channel for attack.

[SEARN]
724 posts
12,007 battles

Just installed the security update as a standalone install so I could see its impact directly.

As far as its impact on WOWS game performance is concerned..... NADA. Runs exactly the same for me as it did before. Silky smooth with high 70+ FPS.

In the words of Bill Shakespeare "Much ado about nothing"

[LBAS]
90 posts
6,174 battles

You have to get the bios update as well as the Windows update to know by how much your cpu slows down.  Getting just the Windows patch does not fix the vulnerability.

[URR]
113 posts
15,727 battles

Eurogamer has a nice article on the performance impact on games:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-does-patching-cpu-security-flaws-impact-gaming-performance

The worst performance hit was 9.4% in Witcher 3 but in most games they tested it was ~3.5% - pretty much negligible.

[TWR]
1,222 posts
4,702 battles
On 1/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Griefmaker said:

You have to get the bios update as well as the Windows update to know by how much your cpu slows down.  Getting just the Windows patch does not fix the vulnerability.

Mmm,my board is from 2011,wonder if Asrock will even bother doing a Bios update?!

[LBAS]
90 posts
6,174 battles
57 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

Mmm,my board is from 2011,wonder if Asrock will even bother doing a Bios update?!

I'm in the same boat as you as I have an i7 2600k @4.5GHz which still runs everything fine @1200p but I doubt we are going to get a bios update for something from 2011 :(

[TWR]
1,222 posts
4,702 battles

I got a i7 2700k so basically the same as you.Since most of the modern games these days suck and I generally only play WoWs or games over 6 years old I don't see the need to upgrade.

[TDA]
611 posts
3,029 battles

My Stats for my pc - an yes - No FPS loss, or so little I've noticed - at least on wows 

CPU
3.50 (oc to 4.2) gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K
384 kilobyte primary memory cache

1536 kilobyte secondary memory cache
15360 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (6 total)
Hyper-threaded (12 total)

Memory
32664 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Gcard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti [Display adapter] (MSI)

Acer Z35 [Monitor] (34.7"vis)

In fact - 1fps loss

[LBAS]
90 posts
6,174 battles
2 hours ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I got a i7 2700k so basically the same as you.Since most of the modern games these days suck and I generally only play WoWs or games over 6 years old I don't see the need to upgrade.

Your cpu is fine for new games as long as you don't have a screen resolution of 1440p or higher.  My oc'd i7 runs the likes of Total War:Warhammer at high settings locked at 60fps with a 1060 6gig card.

[TWR]
1,222 posts
4,702 battles
On 1/18/2018 at 2:08 PM, Griefmaker said:

Your cpu is fine for new games as long as you don't have a screen resolution of 1440p or higher.  My oc'd i7 runs the likes of Total War:Warhammer at high settings locked at 60fps with a 1060 6gig card.

Yeah,I have 1920 x 1200 monitors,which I don't have much intention of replacing.Since you are having luck with yours I may just get a new GPU later and see how it goes.

I know my brothers slightly newer AMD system can run GPU intensive games better ( he got some high end Radeon card a year or two ago,can't remember the version ),but mine runs CPU ones better.

The only thing I have that kills my system is Star Citizen,and thats due to poor optimization plus overdoing the assets.And given the way they are going may not make ti to release anyway!