You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DFaultPlayR69

Independence outclassed against Ryujo

10 comments in this topic

70 posts
3,170 battles

Ever since the US CV rebalance, I feel like the Independence is outclassed compared to its IJN counterpart. I miss the old AS loadout. The new 1/1/1 just doesn't compete against Ryujo's 2/1/1 loadout. Even if the US have larger squadrons, 1 squadron is will still be defeated by 2 squadrons.

Pls note that I'm not a great CV player, I'm just an average WoWS captain. So if anyone here has any good advises for me on how to play USN CVs, I'd be happy to listen.

1,105 posts

Ryujo 2/1/1 is bleeding on damage..... your 1TB did more damage than Ryujo 1TB+1DB

also why losing againts 2 weak squadron? what you need to do is strafe it if the fighter stick..... if you engange on 1 fighter and another fighter coming, YOU CAN STRAFE OUT to incoming fighter....

if you think USN CV sux, PLAY IJN CV....

70 posts
3,170 battles
46 minutes ago, Skarhabek said:

Ryujo 2/1/1 is bleeding on damage..... your 1TB did more damage than Ryujo 1TB+1DB

also why losing againts 2 weak squadron? what you need to do is strafe it if the fighter stick..... if you engange on 1 fighter and another fighter coming, YOU CAN STRAFE OUT to incoming fighter....

if you think USN CV sux, PLAY IJN CV....

Again, I'm not an amazing CV captain. Nor do I play CVs that often. But when I try to strafe an IJN fighter squadron, it doesn't wipe them out, and after that my squadron just get swarmed by a second or even worse a third squadron joins in. Other things that contribute to my under performance is that again, my CV skills are not that good. Might as well stick to Cruisers and Battleships.

And no, I'm not saying USN CVs suck. I love them for the large squadrons, up until the recent changes which removed my main loadout. Given the pain of grinding CVs, I am not going to grind IJN CVs, I'm sticking to my USN boats.

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles

Sharkbait is actually right, you basically try to strafe out towards incoming 2nd squadron if you can afford to lose a plane. Also against AS RJ, I think you could just use your fighter as a sacrificial lamb to get your strikes off. Most ships RJ facing has enough AA capabilities to minimize that 1 TB and 1 DB impact by themselves. However, I don't play CV. Just told you what seemed logical. I think Stratmania can even tell you more about counter strafing. Either way, you should not expect an easy time against AS RJ, it is meant to give you trouble.

354 posts
9,048 battles
6 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Ever since the US CV rebalance, I feel like the Independence is outclassed compared to its IJN counterpart. I miss the old AS loadout. The new 1/1/1 just doesn't compete against Ryujo's 2/1/1 loadout. Even if the US have larger squadrons, 1 squadron is will still be defeated by 2 squadrons.

Pls note that I'm not a great CV player, I'm just an average WoWS captain. So if anyone here has any good advises for me on how to play USN CVs, I'd be happy to listen.

Bet you enjoyed the old 201 Bogue against those poor Zuihos 'though ;)

As a Zuiho player, I sympathize with you (not really).

1,356 posts
8,894 battles
8 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Actually 111 has always been the best loadout for Independence. 201 was bad because all you had were fighters and nothing else. You were not going to to diddly squat with that one DB squadron, so even if you got air control,  you were not going to be an asset to the team except be a glorified spotter. Strike Independence wasn't good either because you have no fighters at all, even a 122 Ryuujou can eventually whittle down your strike craft with their 1 fighter.

Anyway, you have to realise that a 311 Ryuujou is kinda like the AS Independence. It gives up a lot of strike power for more fighters. 1 torpedo bomber and 1 dive bomber isn't going to cut it, especially when you consider the jump in AA tier 6 ships get, coupled with the low hangar sizes. But while you are unlikely to win complete air control against a 311 Ryuujou, you can even up the odds by using the one fighter of yours smartly . You can use that one fighter for defence - go after any strike craft that attack your allies. If the Ryuujou sends a squadron,  try to strafe them and wipe them out. Even if you don't kill them all in the initial strafe, you will easily mop up the survivors (unless you missed your strafe entirely). And because you are defending, chances are the dogfight will be happening over friendly AA, which will further minimise your losses. And Sharkbait is right, exit strafe if you see the 2nd or 3rd enemy fighter squadron approaching. Whether you exit strafe into the enemy reinforcements or exit strafe and just retreat your fighters, depends on the circumstances.

If the enemy sends 2 squadrons or more at the same time, then you have to decide whether to retreat your fighters further into friendly AA, or try to land a good strafe such that you hit all of them at the same time. If it is all 3 fighters though, then it would be best to just avoid them entirely. Even if you strafe and kill one squadron, the other 2 will just gang up and beat up your one fighter. So just kite around as long as possible and let your friendly AA whittle down his planes, eventually he will give up or take too much losses that you can engage and win. The good news is that if he sends all 3 fighters, that means that your strike craft can hit whoever they want without harassment. Go after targets like isolated BBs - USN CVs are very good against larger targets.

But whatever it is, do not engage his fighters without trying to strafe first.

Anyway here's Farazelleth's video guide to the Independence. Hope it helps.

70 posts
3,170 battles

So basically, the strategy of playing Independence is to just wait for the enemy planes to get near friendly AA then you strike them? Another problem I have is getting the right angle to launch torpedoes. Most of the time I line up for an attack  my TBs are always launching in the wide spread due to heavy AA. I though that wide spread strikes only happen if the planes are in range of Defensive AA Fire or under fire by fighters. TBH, I really am out of practice with TB strikes, DBs on the other hand I'm fine using them, hence why I got too used to the old AS loadout.

208 posts
8,214 battles
9 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

So basically, the strategy of playing Independence is to just wait for the enemy planes to get near friendly AA then you strike them? Another problem I have is getting the right angle to launch torpedoes. Most of the time I line up for an attack  my TBs are always launching in the wide spread due to heavy AA. I though that wide spread strikes only happen if the planes are in range of Defensive AA Fire or under fire by fighters. TBH, I really am out of practice with TB strikes, DBs on the other hand I'm fine using them, hence why I got too used to the old AS loadout.

you have T7 DB, use it to bait enemy DFAA....
its easy to know when DFAA active and off.... (see DB drop circle if its too huge it means DFAA is active)..... after enemy DFAA off you can start attacking them....

for fighter bait them to friendly AA or you can try counter strafing them by dodging their strafe....