Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Crusin_Rage

Poor Ping = Poor RNG

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
31 posts
7,902 battles

With the cable to asia still broken or broken again whichever from Aus, I am noticing that when I have a poor connection (140-150ping) I am getting very poor RNG.

It doesn't seem to be just lag and missing where I see the rounds are going, the spread of the rounds is all over the place, landing on all sides of aimed target. When the ping is down around 100 the RNG seems to improve and a number of volleys are coming in true again.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Maybe a glitch in the way RNG works

Cheers Crusin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
157 posts
4,084 battles
27 minutes ago, Crusin_Rage said:

With the cable to asia still broken or broken again whichever from Aus, I am noticing that when I have a poor connection (140-150ping) I am getting very poor RNG.

It doesn't seem to be just lag and missing where I see the rounds are going, the spread of the rounds is all over the place, landing on all sides of aimed target. When the ping is down around 100 the RNG seems to improve and a number of volleys are coming in true again.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Maybe a glitch in the way RNG works

Cheers Crusin

 

It sounds like you're experiencing  Desync or packet loss.

With desync, basically the server and the client have lost sync with one another, are the shells going through the target or hitting in front of it that's a clear indication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
492 posts
7,661 battles
1 hour ago, Crusin_Rage said:

With the cable to asia still broken or broken again whichever from Aus, I am noticing that when I have a poor connection (140-150ping) I am getting very poor RNG.

RNG isn't calculated on ping. Ping of course can affect how hard it is to land hits. 140 - 150 ms ping is quite good compared to before cable was fixed.

If you are meaning that you are aiming with correct lead but shells are falling behind and in front of and all around target at the same time but not scoring many (if any) hits, this is normal. I have times when many games in a row I seem to straddle all my shells and don't deal a lot of damage. It is just the way dispersion RNG works. After a few more games or a change of ship it will change. It happens to me personally in BBs more than any other ship.

Cable has been fixed for quite a while now. After it was fixed my ping instantly went from an unplayable 250-400 ms to down to 80 - 150 ms. Has been stable for me at around 110 ms average since the repair. I was having ok games even with the lousy ping before, but much better games now that it is down to a sub 150 ms ping.

If cable had broken again so soon I am sure many other players would have noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
157 posts
4,084 battles
1 hour ago, HobartAWD said:

Cable has been fixed for quite a while now. After it was fixed my ping instantly went from an unplayable 250-400 ms to down to 80 - 150 ms. Has been stable for me at around 110 ms average since the repair. I was having ok games even with the lousy ping before, but much better games now that it is down to a sub 150 ms ping.

If cable had broken again so soon I am sure many other players would have noticed.

The SEA-ME-WE 3 cable got knocked out again on December 3rd, the current ETR is January 9th.

http://status.vocus.com.au/view-incident.aspx?IncidentID=387

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
492 posts
7,661 battles
6 minutes ago, darkflame88 said:

The SEA-ME-WE 3 cable got knocked out again on December 3rd, the current ETR is January 9th.

http://status.vocus.com.au/view-incident.aspx?IncidentID=387

Well there you go. Didn't know that.

What do they repair it with? Sticky tape? I know it is not an easy thing to access and fix, but surely due to its importance they could do a better repair?

My ping hasn't changed for the worse at all since it was fixed previously. Guess I am just lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
802 posts
2 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

What do they repair it with? Sticky tape? I know it is not an easy thing to access and fix, but surely due to its importance they could do a better repair?

Old cable in combination with a very busy shipping lane, and it's only important for low latency/high bandwidth applications such as gaming or video conferencing, every other use is fine with the extra 80ms of routing through the east coast link to HK. By July next year it won't matter as there will be newer cables RFS (ready for service) with higher capacity and more durability running out of Perth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
492 posts
7,661 battles
12 minutes ago, Counterflak said:

Old cable in combination with a very busy shipping lane, and it's only important for low latency/high bandwidth applications such as gaming or video conferencing, every other use is fine with the extra 80ms of routing through the east coast link to HK. By July next year it won't matter as there will be newer cables RFS (ready for service) with higher capacity and more durability running out of Perth.

Ok. Good to know the issue will be eliminated in the future.

I honestly am surprised it broke again as I haven't noticed any change in my average ping, considering I was getting upwards of 400 ms last time.

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
31 posts
7,902 battles
1 hour ago, HobartAWD said:

If you are meaning that you are aiming with correct lead but shells are falling behind and in front of and all around target at the same time but not scoring many (if any) hits, this is normal. I have times when many games in a row I seem to straddle all my shells and don't deal a lot of damage. It is just the way dispersion RNG works. After a few more games or a change of ship it will change. It happens to me personally in BBs more than any other ship.

this is exactly what i mean, if it wasn't broken you should get random shots of bad dispersion and good dispersion throughout one game not have to change ships or wait a few games for it to fix itself.

And i have been noticing a correlation between this happening and my ping going up

Though i'd mention it so others would look and maybe it is something, maybe i'm just mistaken

Cheers Crusin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
492 posts
7,661 battles
1 minute ago, Crusin_Rage said:

this is exactly what i mean, if it wasn't broken you should get random shots of bad dispersion and good dispersion throughout one game not have to change ships or wait a few games for it to fix itself.

And i have been noticing a correlation between this happening and my ping going up

Though i'd mention it so others would look and maybe it is something, maybe i'm just mistaken

Cheers Crusin

Personally I have experienced this on and off whether or not the cable is fixed or broken and both with good ping and bad ping.

I didn't actually realise that the cable had broken again and I have been having great games lately. However I do still experience this issue of continually straddling the target for salvo after salvo from time to time. Fundamentally it is the problem with a heavily RNG based game. Sometimes try as you might, you just can't win a trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
802 posts
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I honestly am surprised it broke again as I haven't noticed any change in my average ping, considering I was getting upwards of 400 ms last time.

It's all down to how timely your ISP re-routes the traffic. The main issue for the high ping is your packets are following their normal path, like if you come to a detour sign on a road due to a road closure. This time around most Australia ISPs seemed to have been more quick to react with the routing through HK making things negligible for latency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×