You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Skeeter

Lexington tactics

19 comments in this topic

18 posts
5,244 battles

How does one play the US CV Lexington when up against the Shokaku or Enterprise, which is 70% of the time?

I have looked on YouTube and on the forums - I have yet to see any recent strategy on how to play the Lexington since the last patch that basically eliminated plane load outs. I used to play LEX in the attack CV role. Now, all the LEX commander can do it to choosing HP or AP bombs for the DB- totally useless...!

I want to improve my CV play, but just get frustrated game after game. Comments from other team mate commanders do not help - they often blame the entire game loss on poor CV play. My play may not be that great yet, but one CV that can only make one attack every 5-6 minutes will NOT have the same impact as well aimed and coordinated surface gunnery. In the time it take an air attack to attack, return, re-load and launch again, a surface ship could have fired dozens of rounds.

I tend to focus on fleet protection of trying to shoot down incoming torpedo planes and spotting DDs, but my lone squadrons are often taken care of in short order by ENT and SHO CV air groups, since they have an extra FT squadron to simply prowl looking for air targets of opportunity. The larger numbers of planes carried by LEX is useless - as a smaller FT squadron can totally lock-down the LEX larger FT squadron in a dogfight.

1. Lex is outnumbered 2:1 in total squadrons -only one each of FT, DB and TP.
2. This means SHO or ENT carriers captains can tie down the LEX lone FT squadron then annihilate the LEX TP and DB attacks.
3. Surface fleet captains want CVs to spot, take out destroyers and hopefully damage capital ships. When squadron outnumber 2:1, doing most of these is not possible, doing all the of those are impossible.

This is impossible with the current LEX situation.

Those of you who are successfully playing LEX, can you provide some strategy? I am about ready to cash-out the Lex and buy Japanese CVs....do you keep the LEX squadrons spread out for spotting, keep TPs and DBs together for coordinated attacks?

Edited by Skeeter
Typo

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,470 battles

I used to play 013 with no fighter you know and i do just fine.

The trick is to use your FT to deter torpedo bombers away from potential targets, dont chase FT and start a fight with a strafe.

All of this require skill thouh

154 posts
345 battles

1 fighter :

- USE IT TO intercept enemy bomber especially the TB. try to think if you are "enemy"..... who will be your target..... 

- avoid dogfight with enemy fighter as much as possible.... dont ever engange Enterprise fighter right click of doom.... no matter how many enterprise fighter you rekt.... enterprise got almost infinite fighter....

1 TB : 

- your main nuke againts BB or other ship, KEEP IT ALIVE

DB :

- use empty DB to scout, no PLANE CAN CATCH YOU! Empty DB FAST PLANE!!!

- use DB to test enemy ship AA

- i am prefer HE bomb instead of AP. HE bomb can rekt DD, but not many people skilled enough to land bomb on DD.

2,222 posts
13,723 battles
1 hour ago, Rwasknum said:

1 fighter :

- USE IT TO intercept enemy bomber especially the TB. try to think if you are "enemy"..... who will be your target..... 

- avoid dogfight with enemy fighter as much as possible.... dont ever engange Enterprise fighter right click of doom.... no matter how many enterprise fighter you rekt.... enterprise got almost infinite fighter....

1 TB : 

- your main nuke againts BB or other ship, KEEP IT ALIVE

DB :

- use empty DB to scout, no PLANE CAN CATCH YOU! Empty DB FAST PLANE!!!

- use DB to test enemy ship AA

- i am prefer HE bomb instead of AP. HE bomb can rekt DD, but not many people skilled enough to land bomb on DD.

Except lots of planes can catch Lexington's bombers even when they've dropped.

154 posts
345 battles
26 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Except lots of planes can catch Lexington's bombers even when they've dropped.

then its advantage for you, another bomber is ready for free bombing and no one can stop.

i remember there is Shokaku try to catch empty dive bomber using all of fighter squadron and let the other squadron bombing his entire team. EZ win in 5 min.....

1,347 posts
8,872 battles

Well I actually grinded my way through my Lexington using the 111 loadout before it was changed.  Like others have said, the trick is knowing how to use your single FT squadron smartly. Don't go picking fights with it, use it to defend your team or deter the enemy.

One thing to note is that a Shokaku has to commit both FTs squadrons to deal with your single FT, because USN FTs can outlast IJN FT squadrons in a dogfight, unless you end up getting strafed. If he commits both FT squadrons, that leaves your strike planes to carry out their hits unmolested. If he splits his FT squadrons, then he will lose the one he sent against your FTs. Even if he sends both FTs, just strafe one squadron, then strafe or just click the other squadron. Your FTs will come out on top. Sure, your allies may be open to strikes without your FTs, but the same holds true for the enemy. You can't babysit everyone 24/7 anyway.

Against an 312 Shokaku however, it is a different story. You have to admit that there is little you can do to get air control, but the enemy Shokaku has to give up a lot of striking power for that. The same still applies - use your FT to defend against his strikes, especially that one TB.

Now I don't really have much experience against the Enterprise, mostly because I had nearly finished my Lexington grind when it was introduced. But take note that the Enterprise has very high FT reserves, but low strike reserves.

10 hours ago, Skeeter said:

I have looked on YouTube and on the forums - I have yet to see any recent strategy on how to play the Lexington since the last patch that basically eliminated plane load outs. I used to play LEX in the attack CV role. Now, all the LEX commander can do it to choosing HP or AP bombs for the DB- totally useless...!

Farazelleth has put up a mini-series for the new USN CVs on Youtube. Here's his one on the Lexington:

I am not too sure if you would find this useful, as I thought the Enterprise he went up against was kinda bad. Oh well, hope it helps.

18 posts
5,244 battles

There really is no way for LEX to win vs Enterprise. The game I just played is the perfect example...a carbon copy of every game I play against ENT, and to a lesser extent, the SHO.

The ENT player keeps one of his two FT groups with his two TP groups; with that, he locks up my single FT group in a dogfight that is trying to protect the fleet from the FT attacks, and the ENT TPs go on unscathed to their targets. Of course, I loose the dogfight. Meanwhile, the other ENT FT group can keep back to protect his fleet against my single TP...meanwhile, the suface fleet guys are screaming, "CV..?", "CV..?", "What the hell is the CV doing?"....

In the end, any team finding itself in a game where it is the LEX vs ENT, the LEX side starts with a huge disadvantage. Anytime a game starts and I see I am opposing the ENT, I just want to quit the game (Of course, I never do that, but I want to.); I know it will be a lesson utter futility.  I will shoot down maybe 5 planes if I am lucky, and get on perhaps one attack - all my planes are obliterated before the game is 50% done, and I CV is nothing but a target - no airplanes.

I do tend to use my empty DB for scouting - any that survive the attack, but the ENT FTs can quickly overtake them. The ENT has just an overwhelming advantage over the LEX.

IMHO, after months of playing the LEX and getting my a** beat in almost every game when it is up against the ENT or SHO,  I can only conclude it has no business being a Tier VIII CV, or the ENT should be Tier IX.

Edited by Skeeter
typo

154 posts
345 battles
16 hours ago, Exiled_Gundam said:

Maybe WG should apply same strafing mechanic as Saipan (no FT lost during exit strafe) to Indy, Ranger and Lex?

THIS IS THE BEST IDEA of 2017! why the hell no! USN CV need free STRAFING! but Enterprise should not get free strafing... its too OP

17 hours ago, Skeeter said:

business being a Tier VIII CV, or the ENT should be Tier IX.

Enterprise have its own drawback, it got T7 plane that is rekt by T10 AA.... Enteprise is actually not OP. 

BUT WG GIVE IT T9 Upgrade on Enterprise making their plane is FASTEST among T8 plane,,,, Kaga?? why there is no Kaga complain? because it got snail plane!

18 posts
5,244 battles

I know the LEX (Any CV for that matter.) main job is to protect the fleet against opposing TP first, attack opposing DD's secondly; but how does that happen once my single FT sqdn gets locked up with the ENT or SHO FTs; leaving the ENT one FT group (SHO still has two FT groups) free to massacre my TP - usually leaving my one DB to search in vain for a DD to attack;, Since my FT is locked up, my FT cannot protect against incoming TP/DB attacks. I can try to avoid the dogfight, but then I simply spend the entire game running from his FT.

I also do not understand how my LEX F4U Corsairs cannot catch Japanese torpedo planes..? The F4U was one of the fastest fighters in the PTO, definitely able to catch any DB or TP the Japanese had!

I'm still looking to hear from someone who has had success in play LEX against ENT and SHO and can give me some tips....

Anyone....? 

Anyone....?

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,470 battles
55 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

I know the LEX (Any CV for that matter.) main job is to protect the fleet against opposing TP first, attack opposing DD's secondly; but how does that happen once my single FT sqdn gets locked up with the ENT or SHO FTs; leaving the ENT one FT group (SHO still has two FT groups) free to massacre my TP - usually leaving my one DB to search in vain for a DD to attack;, Since my FT is locked up, my FT cannot protect against incoming TP/DB attacks. I can try to avoid the dogfight, but then I simply spend the entire game running from his FT.

I also do not understand how my LEX F4U Corsairs cannot catch Japanese torpedo planes..? The F4U was one of the fastest fighters in the PTO, definitely able to catch any DB or TP the Japanese had!

I'm still looking to hear from someone who has had success in play LEX against ENT and SHO and can give me some tips....

Anyone....? 

Anyone....?

I have already played lexi successfully without using FT at all.

First thing first, get rid of the mentality that afraid to lose any aircraft. Done ? Now then i will get into detail.

The whole point of the CV is a mind game is trading profitably for you or your team. Therefore casualties are to be expected and necessary.

Have you everheard of backhand blow, focal point and blizt ? You only get a single FT, your opponent has 2 to 3, and you need to protect your Torpedo and dive bomber.

Always  use your 2 DB first , spread them and your FT to 3 places and force him to respond. You can preemptively poke AADF hornets by using manual aim to check, pull back if they do it.

He will either split it up, allowing you to force a 1v1 or stick to your single ft like glue. Disengage quickly with a strafe if he force a lock and his 2nd FT is near. You need your FT to scare off his strike package.

Dont miss that chance, use your DB on the most valuable and easiest target.

Point is to force his response and his attention to something else other than the TB.

Always keep TB in reserve and strike at an ez target fpr massive damage. Never clutter squads, spread them thin.

Always keep tab on your dispersed force, dont let them unattended for a moment even if they are retreating.

Dont waste plane but dont be afraid to use it against push leaders on a flank.

The whole point is to force a favorable trade and confuse the other CV about his priorities.

Use your FT to provoke a response, not to actually fight. Use it to scare him off.

The most common situation is that both side FT is near each other's strike package and you dont know what to go after. My answer is to consider the distance and pounce on his strikes while sacrificing your own, usually with a Db. Make rapid turns to throw off his strafes and never EVER be hasty about doing damage. Look at the map and formulate a simple plan to achieve your team's need. It is all about the trade.

Losing entire strike package to wipe out a dd is usually worth it. If enemy AA+FT combo is too stronk you can always mess up a cv by purposefully use a DB to haunt his CV ship repeatedly, retreat when chased and force his FT to return or risk eating shells from BB.

Even if you think you cant deal any damage , just spotting really help. Think ahead about where to spot is the best plan if you cant past the enemy's AA. This will foil their agression , forcing them to turtle up and buying your team time to do daamage in your place. Be at the right place at the right time is the game for this choice. Dont spot where your team cant shoot and dont spot where you cant run away from enemy FT.

Edited by legionary2099

18 posts
5,244 battles
50 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

I have already played lexi successfully without using FT at all.

First thing first, get rid of the mentality that afraid to lose any aircraft. Done ? Now then i will get into detail.

The whole point of the CV is a mind game is trading profitably for you or your team. Therefore casualties are to be expected and necessary.

Have you everheard of backhand blow, focal point and blizt ? You only get a single FT, your opponent has 2 to 3, and you need to protect your Torpedo and dive bomber.

Always  use your 2 DB first , spread them and your FT to 3 places and force him to respond. You can preemptively poke AADF hornets by using manual aim to check, pull back if they do it.

He will either split it up, allowing you to force a 1v1 or stick to your single ft like glue. Disengage quickly with a strafe if he force a lock and his 2nd FT is near. You need your FT to scare off his strike package.

Dont miss that chance, use your DB on the most valuable and easiest target.

Point is to force his response and his attention to something else other than the TB.

Always keep TB in reserve and strike at an ez target fpr massive damage. Never clutter squads, spread them thin.

Always keep tab on your dispersed force, dont let them unattended for a moment even if they are retreating.

Dont waste plane but dont be afraid to use it against push leaders on a flank.

The whole point is to force a favorable trade and confuse the other CV about his priorities.

Use your FT to provoke a response, not to actually fight. Use it to scare him off.

The most common situation is that both side FT is near each other's strike package and you dont know what to go after. My answer is to consider the distance and pounce on his strikes while sacrificing your own, usually with a Db. Make rapid turns to throw off his strafes and never EVER be hasty about doing damage. Look at the map and formulate a simple plan to achieve your team's need. It is all about the trade.

Losing entire strike package to wipe out a dd is usually worth it. If enemy AA+FT combo is too stronk you can always mess up a cv by purposefully use a DB to haunt his CV ship repeatedly, retreat when chased and force his FT to return or risk eating shells from BB.

Even if you think you cant deal any damage , just spotting really help. Think ahead about where to spot is the best plan if you cant past the enemy's AA. This will foil their agression , forcing them to turtle up and buying your team time to do daamage in your place. Be at the right place at the right time is the game for this choice. Dont spot where your team cant shoot and dont spot where you cant run away from enemy FT.

Thanks so much!!

I will try this a few times on co-op to get the feel, then move back to the random battles once I got the feel of it.

I have never minded the losses - I just hate no being able to defend the fleet better once my single FT got locked up in a dogfight. One of the YouTube plays on LEX, the player kept his attack planes together. That was fine for the old attack CV load out, but not so good with the new mod.

Much appreciated!!

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,470 battles
4 minutes ago, Kamikapoi said:

i always get 60% WR from hosho to ranger (112), now i just 40% WR on lexington, so sad.

There is nothing wrong with that , the change between each tier from 7 to 10 is extreme , and not many can cope with it.

I personally dont fail my team till tier 9 , in which i fail miserably with sub 50% wr and back to 50% with tier 10.

AA from tier 8+ improve dramatically , sometimes you dont have anywhere to go due to AA and has to bite your time looking around. Not to mention ultra AA fishing divisions lurking around.

3 posts
3,827 battles
5 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

There is nothing wrong with that , the change between each tier from 7 to 10 is extreme , and not many can cope with it.

I personally dont fail my team till tier 9 , in which i fail miserably with sub 50% wr and back to 50% with tier 10.

AA from tier 8+ improve dramatically , sometimes you dont have anywhere to go due to AA and has to bite your time looking around. Not to mention ultra AA fishing divisions lurking around.

i just lucky in T7 but in T8 its really hard to fight another CV
who is better Essex before update or after update? i think i will get her in this week.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,470 battles
1 minute ago, Kamikapoi said:

i just lucky in T7 but in T8 its really hard to fight another CV
who is better Essex before update or after update? i think i will get her in this week.

Essex b4 update is heavily specialized.

302 will trash any Taiho , but cant do jack shit to anything that swim

113 will get shot down like flies with 1 FT coverage , but do massive damage.Massive damage dont mean you win

211 struggled to do any meaningful damage while is always in control of the air , and can trash planes through attrition

Essex after update with 212  flat out superior to any Taiho competition. It do enough damage to affect the game and it will almost always win the air war with even Taiho 322.

3 posts
3,827 battles
2 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Essex b4 update is heavily specialized.

302 will trash any Taiho , but cant do jack shit to anything that swim

113 will get shot down like flies with 1 FT coverage , but do massive damage.Massive damage dont mean you win

211 struggled to do any meaningful damage while is always in control of the air , and can trash planes through attrition

Essex after update with 212  flat out superior to any Taiho competition. It do enough damage to affect the game and it will almost always win the air war with even Taiho 322.

Nice, i think i will enjoy Essex in T9, and play shokaku again in T8
Thanks for info