You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

Need help with dad's prezzie...

14 comments in this topic

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,495 battles

So need to work out what to get for dad for Chrissy, he's a bit noob (maybe 700 WTR) and has recently discovered how the higher tier gameplay is a bit more difficult. He's also massive on WW2 historical.

I'm looking to get him a late Xmas prezzie in the form of a premium ship.

I'm very hesitant to get a radar cruiser or T8 prem for him given he's running the following:

- Gneisenau

- T-22

- Fiji

- Aoba

- Fuso

- RN BBs

Any ideas from the floor?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles
6 minutes ago, Swiftter7 said:

Maybe a Hood or Warspite? Seeing "RN BBs" makes me feel like he would like more RN BBs:cap_hmm:

^^^ DoY especially, since it will also give him a head start on the NY campaign.

+ points if you get the "both" package which includes Scharnhorst.

1,333 posts
8,817 battles

I would suggest the Hood too, since he seems to like the Royal Navy plus he likes WW2 history.

Otherwise I suggest the Scharnhorst.

1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

He didn't have time to pick up vampire, RL stuff...

He has Warspite.

I'm hesitant with DoY as no heal?

DoY has a heal now. It was changed because people protested its initial lack of it.

Edited by Thyaliad

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,413 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

So need to work out what to get for dad for Chrissy, he's a bit noob (maybe 700 WTR) and has recently discovered how the higher tier gameplay is a bit more difficult. He's also massive on WW2 historical.

I'm looking to get him a late Xmas prezzie in the form of a premium ship.

I'm very hesitant to get a radar cruiser or T8 prem for him given he's running the following:

- Gneisenau

- T-22

- Fiji

- Aoba

- Fuso

- RN BBs

Any ideas from the floor?

My advice is get him an Alabama or Kii which are okay battleship. Battleships arent too hard on an old man ( excuse me - sorry for the comment , please dont mind it ) with poorer reaction time and overall age difficulties. Tirpizt isnt likely the best choice as he already has the Scharnhorst.

Oh , and WTR dont mean jack to me , just tell us his flavor and maybe we can guide you to the right choice

Remember in every gift it is the intention that count the most.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Thanks all!!

Looking at Kii, DoY or Scharnhorst.

Now just gotta wait for payday...:cap_happy:

You may also consider getting doubloons for him, loads of premiums on tech tree are now having discount. So he can get something pretty. Just a thought.

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,495 battles
55 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

You may also consider getting doubloons for him, loads of premiums on tech tree are now having discount. So he can get something pretty. Just a thought.

He's got like 10k :-/

Thought about santa crates too. How long are the crates available for?

481 posts
7,606 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

He's got like 10k :-/

Thought about santa crates too. How long are the crates available for?

Pretty sure it was the 18th of Jan.

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

From a naval history PoV I would not suggest Kii. This ship was never built and the in game armor model is plagued with historical inconsistency. The pre release teaser claimed her to be "1945", which explains the extremely well fitted AA suite, but many details does not match what IJN would have done during the reconstruction.

1. IJN are notorious torpedo fanbois, why the heck no TDS bulge? Even the earliest of IJN’s heavy cruisers, Furutaka and Aoba class have them fitted.

2. Many parts of the ship’s deck is actually thinner than the original plan in the 8-8 naval construction program

3. If we take Nagato as a reference, we can see that IJN had a heavy emphasis on magazine protection when reconstructing these ships, drastically thickened the slope deck on the Nagato class and making their magazine protection arguably better than many London II battleships, which is not the case for Kii.

4. Per Nagato reconstruction, IJN tend to thicken the lowest deck, the one right above the machinery/magazine, which is not the case for Kii.

IMO Scharnhorst or DoY is great, both are famed ships IRL, fit the in game event, and Scharnhorst is a great ship. Both ship are T7, allowing them to have fun in scenario. Or you can choose Alabama or Tirpitz.

Cruiser gameplay may need a bit more concentration and is more intense, the sound effect of getting citadelled may disturb your father a bit. If that is not a problem, I would recommend Atago, more tolerant gameplay and much fun.

Or you can wait for Roma, a CC in EU server said she would be ready after Christmas. (My guess is ver 0.7.0, the update will probably come by at 11th Jan 2018 according to the tradition of one major patch every three weeks, release at Thursday. But they may speed up and have her ready by ver 0.6.15.1 which is tomorrow)

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,914 battles

Scharnhorst - one of the few German BBs with a notable combat record, if he is a "massive historical" like me.

As a dad my boys bought me the Santa crates (Huge gift ones) and I picked up the Gallant, kidd and the new pan Asian CA. So you could go that way as well.