You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Leroybrown680

DDs detection in 'new' smoke mechanic

25 comments in this topic

3 posts
4,464 battles

So i am really struggling with these new smoke mechanics. Can someone please explain to me why I am getting detected in smoke from 6-7km when all I am doing is either sitting in it or sailing away after a torp run. And no I am not detected by sonar/radar. And yes I am aware (with much disgust) the detection icons have changed. 

Its making it very frustrating to play dds. It was hard enough when they introduced so many radar ships, which I have no problems with, just need to be wary. 

359 posts
2,819 battles

What ship were you in? As I understand you should not be detect from 6-7 km as a dd. No matter what you do (Unless radar)

Unless there's a ships 3-4 Km near you and he didn't fire so you didn''t detect him

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles

You aren't being proxy spotted in smoke as a DD unless there is an enemy ship within 2.5 - 3km while you are firing (you may not know they are there if they aren't firing and aren't spotted).  The new icons are probably the source of your confusion and you are likely being radared or hydroed.

1,126 posts

there's something new about 'detected' Icon

detected by radar/sonar are circle thingy, normal detected one, and detected by plane.

what I don't know is 'triangle' detected Icon,

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

It was a poor choice to change the icon...AGAIN!!

And every time the icon they choose provides less and less information about gameplay mechanics.

Even with the WGCC's parroting on endlessly about how poorly the game communicates to players what is happening, WG don't seem to listen.

Here, have more icons that give less info.

iirc we had a radar spotted icon, a hydro spotted icon, an airplane spotted icon.

Now we just get the triangle !

Newer players, see it... no idea what is going on... lose... no fun.

Leave the game and dont spend money or play again.

3 posts
4,464 battles
1 hour ago, Hero_of_Zero said:

What ship were you in? As I understand you should not be detect from 6-7 km as a dd. No matter what you do (Unless radar)

Unless there's a ships 3-4 Km near you and he didn't fire so you didn''t detect him

Was in Fletcher, tried to close in on GKurfurst and a british cruiser I cannot remember (and yes I know they have sonar), popped smoke prior to being spotted, and the detected symbol came up, no triangle or anything, just the text. Stayed there while i was in smoke until i was obliterated.

I suppose it could be the detection symbol, not being able to identify why I have been detected or if its working properly at all is a PITA

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles
1 hour ago, Leroybrown680 said:

Was in Fletcher, tried to close in on GKurfurst and a british cruiser I cannot remember (and yes I know they have sonar), popped smoke prior to being spotted, and the detected symbol came up, no triangle or anything, just the text. Stayed there while i was in smoke until i was obliterated.

I suppose it could be the detection symbol, not being able to identify why I have been detected or if its working properly at all is a PITA

FYI British Cruisers from T8 and above have both sonar and radar but they have to give up smoke for the radar.

307 posts
6,413 battles
3 hours ago, Leroybrown680 said:

So i am really struggling with these new smoke mechanics. Can someone please explain to me why I am getting detected in smoke from 6-7km when all I am doing is either sitting in it or sailing away after a torp run. And no I am not detected by sonar/radar. And yes I am aware (with much disgust) the detection icons have changed. 

Its making it very frustrating to play dds. It was hard enough when they introduced so many radar ships, which I have no problems with, just need to be wary. 

No what is happening lately is aimbots....seen it a couple of times.  Watch replay...no radar...spotted once and while still moving turning and they still full blooded hits while i did not fire once.

3 posts
4,464 battles
5 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

So you are playing Fletcher and yet you don't know about game mechanics and which ship has what? Fantastic man, just fantastic. I hope you didn't just free exp to Fletcher.

Really [content removed]? Good to see the trolls are still alive and well on these forums, hence why I hate using them so much.

Trying to see if this is a common thing, or if someone has had the same problem, or if I had missed something, not get a reply from a 'supertester' who must think they are gods gift to a [content removed] computer game

Insults, profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by amade

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

So you are playing Fletcher and yet you don't know about game mechanics and which ship has what? Fantastic man, just fantastic. I hope you didn't just free exp to Fletcher.

This is pretty unhelpful.  The spotting UI has just changed a day ago, someone asking questions about it seems completely reasonable.

455 posts
8,038 battles
2 hours ago, Burnt_Out_Koalas said:

No what is happening lately is aimbots....seen it a couple of times.  Watch replay...no radar...spotted once and while still moving turning and they still full blooded hits while i did not fire once.

It's windy today. Grab your tinfoil hat tightly

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
2 hours ago, Burnt_Out_Koalas said:

No, aimbots cannot do that. All outcome related calculations are done server side in WoWs. (Examples of non-outcome-related calculation: ribbon display.) No matter how advanced and elaborated the illegal mod is, it can only calculate based on whatever information the server and client provides. AFAIK it is possible for a mod (albeit violating EULA and game rules) to project an optimal aim lead, pinpoint the muzzles of enemy ships smoke/island firing, or show a bubble indicating the movement of enemy ships ("traffic light" mod, IDK if it’s legal, that shows green when the enemy is moving forward at good speeds, yellow when slow or stopped and red when reverse)

But affecting detection system? I’d say no.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

This is pretty unhelpful.  The spotting UI has just changed a day ago, someone asking questions about it seems completely reasonable.

Did you not read what OP wrote? Thinking this is because of smoke change? Even the title says it. And reading a bit lower, he didn't know UK CLs can equip RADAR. Now that is ok for new players, not ok for someone playing a Fletcher. Too bad Im not gonna sugar coat it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
4 hours ago, Leroybrown680 said:

Really [content removed]? Good to see the trolls are still alive and well on these forums, hence why I hate using them so much.

Let me help you here, edit your post before you get red inked by mods. hahahahaha. Go read patch notes tough guy.

Quote updated.

~amade

Edited by amade

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
2 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I didn’t know about intel-consumable spotted icon change until it appeared to me in game. When that triangle appeared on my HUD, I didn’t actually realize I was spotted by radar at first glance, but I instantly know something’s changed and one or two seconds later when I remembered the visual spot icon was still the same one when I got detected earlier this game, I know it was radar.

2,222 posts
13,720 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Let me help you here, edit your post before you get red inked by mods. hahahahaha. Go read patch notes tough guy.

Which patch notes? I see nothing about consumable icon changes in https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-06_15-patchnotes/#other. I was as surprised along with the others above to see the changes. I had no idea what was going on.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles
15 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Did you not read what OP wrote? Thinking this is because of smoke change? Even the title says it. And reading a bit lower, he didn't know UK CLs can equip RADAR. Now that is ok for new players, not ok for someone playing a Fletcher. Too bad Im not gonna sugar coat it.

He's just confused.  He saw the new icon (a change not actually mentioned in the patch notes) and didn't know what it meant.  Did you not wonder what the new icon was when you first saw it?  So he came here to ask a question, which seems like a completely sensible thing to do.

As for not knowing UK CL's have radar, if he's never played the line, and wasn't playing when the line came out, he could easily not know this given the majority of UK CL's run smoke. 

You obviously don't think he's a very good player so you're being rude to him about it, but how good he is at the game is completely unrelated to his worth as a person, so perhaps you should show him a basic level of respect that you would show to any other human you interact with.  If you can't manage that, you could always resist the urge to reply.  Better yet, just be nice to him and help him with his question, and you and everyone else will feel a touch better about life.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
6 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

You obviously don't think he's a very good player so you're being rude to him about it, but how good he is at the game is completely unrelated to his worth as a person, so perhaps you should show him a basic level of respect that you would show to any other human you interact with.  If you can't manage that, you could always resist the urge to reply.  Better yet, just be nice to him and help him with his question, and you and everyone else will feel a touch better about life.

I said nothing about the person, and I am not interested in his stats either. Stop over-thinking. I meant exactly what I wrote, not more not less. Also, I already feel good about my life, no need to lecture me on that. You are the one talking about personal life, not me, never a good thing to do in the internet. Besides, I do help people and answer them when I think the question is legit. You are free to check many of my other threads. I didn't think this was of that sort. He took a long time opening a thread on forum, even though it is very clear distinction on the icons and 1 game should be enough to know whats going on. Regular spotting, plane spotting and consumable spotting still use different icons. 

And I do not agree with your statement of "not knowing because of never playing". That is ignorance.

Also, if you have noticed, I didn't use any bad words, I criticized his gaming abilities, he was on the other hand typing crap and hence got red flagged by mods. Not me. So yah, again, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. And I don't mind if you hate me for this. Not here to please anyone either.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
11 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

He's just confused.  He saw the new icon (a change not actually mentioned in the patch notes) and didn't know what it meant.  Did you not wonder what the new icon was when you first saw it?  So he came here to ask a question, which seems like a completely sensible thing to do.

As for not knowing UK CL's have radar, if he's never played the line, and wasn't playing when the line came out, he could easily not know this given the majority of UK CL's run smoke. 

I think OP’s reply (which he only pointed out RN CL has hydro) does suggest he doesn’t know the fact that RN CL T8+ (And Belfast) can equip radar. To be clear I did check his stats (only to find out what ships he has), and he has now reached Fiji.

IMO he doesn’t have to play every tech tree in order to know his opponents, there are datamine sites out there, gamemodels3d or wowsft, the Android "community assist" also has a ship wiki. Even if he does not reach out for these 3rd party sites, there’s WG’s official wiki. At the top bar of WG sites, there’s the hyperlink to wiki at the "services" tab. The wiki is somewhat outdated about certain contents, and the mechanism of WoWs is rather complex, with many details undisclosed and changes from time to time. But OP, as a high tier DD player, should read about the concealment part and check the stats of radar if he feels his understanding of the game’s spotting mechanism is somewhat lacking. I understand the game’s concealment mechanism from reading and observation, and I remember every cruiser radar’s stats. (I don’t play DD often but I play RN CL which also requires good use of concealment and knowledge of radar) I believe this is fundamental for every player who wants to play high tier conceal boats well.

1,342 posts
8,860 battles

To be fair to the OP, a lot of crucial info, like which consumables a ship that you don't own can use, are not found in game. 

Sure, there is the wiki or other 3rd party sites, but imo those are bandaids for what should be in the game in the first place.

And as for the new radar/hydro detected icon, yeah I agree it is horrible. The previous one was loads better. 

980 posts
12,617 battles
On 22/12/2017 at 4:08 PM, Leroybrown680 said:

Anyhow, regardless whether u were radared or not, I think since you last played there has been changes to smoke firing mechanics. Should be around 2.5km for most destroyers - shouldn't affect your DD gameplay too much in terms of avoiding radars and anticipating torpedoes in smoke. 

Hold down 'H' key in battle and look at the numbers to see what your actual smoke firing detection range is.

Edinburgh has meh radar, but Neptune and Minotaur radar is pretty good. From memory Minotaur radar is almost as good as Des Moines radar. 

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
13 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Edinburgh has meh radar, but Neptune and Minotaur radar is pretty good. From memory Minotaur radar is almost as good as Des Moines radar. 

All RN tech tree radar is the same as USN.

T8 9.00km 30sec. T9 9.45km 35sec. T10 9.90km 40sec. 

And I think OP confused the new consumable detected icon (! enclosed in a triangle and detected) as a new visual detection icon.(And he believed that he was “smoke fire detected” rather than being radiated) Which makes some sense, as the new consumable icon does nothing to suggest a connection with intelligence consumables. The original one with a signal-ish icon or the second one mimicking a B type radar display all worked better. I don’t know why they did this, the new icon is more awareness drawing, but at first glance gives you no hint of enemy using hydro/radar.