You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DFaultPlayR69

Keep or sell Colorado after buying North Carolina

24 comments in this topic

70 posts
3,170 battles

As the title suggests, my situation is that I've recently purchased the North Carolina and transferred my Colorado commander to the NC. Right now, Colorado has no commander so I'm thinking of selling it. However, after a few matches in the NC, I noticed that you can't really make a profit on it, even in good games you still lose credits (BTW I don't have premium in my account, and not planning to buy one). TBH, I'm still trying to get used to tier8 since it's my first time getting here as NC is my first tier8 ship.

I still have 2 other tier7s, the Mahan and Pensacola (which are both good in my opinion), and tier6 ships as well (Cleveland, New Mex, Indipendence) to do a bit if credit grinding, but my real concern is if I can have fun playing in tier8 without worrying too much on repair costs.

A little of topic here as well would be what premium ship would be good for grinding credits? I am planning on getting a high tier ship, tier7-8 maybe.

604 posts
7,608 battles

Sell colorado for more credits.

Just use signals flag to reduce repair cost, or join a clan( if you have none) that have -10% servicing cost.

That reduces a total of 15% cost!!! 

T7 premium: Scharnhorst, Atlanta= good tier7 money grinder

T8 Tirpritz is good enough 

[LBAS]
4,485 posts
25,665 battles
7 minutes ago, Gummilicious said:

Just use signals flag to reduce repair cost, or join a clan( if you have none) that have -10% servicing cost.

That reduces a total of 15% cost!!! 

20%

Colorado is the standard battleship keep or not << :fish_viking:

183 posts
3,790 battles

It's not that hard to break even on T8, you just haven't gotten the hang of NC yet. I imagine it has to do with the god awful shell velocity.

I personally sold Colorado. I hate USN Standard BBs that sees high tier games (read: New Mex and Colorado) since they are too slow for the bigger maps.

70 posts
3,170 battles
8 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

It's not that hard to break even on T8, you just haven't gotten the hang of NC yet. I imagine it has to do with the god awful shell velocity.

I personally sold Colorado. I hate USN Standard BBs that sees high tier games (read: New Mex and Colorado) since they are too slow for the bigger maps.

I'm pretty much new to the NC, and tier8 in particular. Still getting used to the higher top speed compared to the god-awful 20knots on the previous ships. But what's bothering me is finding the best range to fire the guns. It seems that it doesn't get good dispersion on anything above 15km. Although it might be because I still haven't put upgrades on it.

183 posts
3,790 battles
Just now, DFaultPlayR69 said:

I'm pretty much new to the NC, and tier8 in particular. Still getting used to the higher top speed compared to the god-awful 20knots on the previous ships. But what's bothering me is finding the best range to fire the guns. It seems that it doesn't get good dispersion on anything above 15km. Although it might be because I still haven't put upgrades on it.

Nah, the dispersion is not upgradable on the NC. I'm pretty sure it really has to do with aim. NC has a good gun that takes a while to get used to.

Colorado has 768m/s AP while NC has 701m/s AP. I'm pretty sure that's the slowest shell in the game.

70 posts
3,170 battles
7 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

Nah, the dispersion is not upgradable on the NC. I'm pretty sure it really has to do with aim. NC has a good gun that takes a while to get used to.

Colorado has 768m/s AP while NC has 701m/s AP. I'm pretty sure that's the slowest shell in the game.

Wow, it's that slow?! That could be why most of my shots are always missing because I put the lead on the shot a little short. Didn't even realize the lower velocity on the shells of NC. On the other hand, what tactic is best used for NC? Back in the Colorado, my method was angling the side armor and getting in and engaging targets 10-15km. But when I look at the NC, it looks like it's less armored than the Colorado, Heck I don't even see any torpedo protection on its belt.

183 posts
3,790 battles
7 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Wow, it's that slow?! That could be why most of my shots are always missing because I put the lead on the shot a little short. Didn't even realize the lower velocity on the shells of NC. On the other hand, what tactic is best used for NC? Back in the Colorado, my method was angling the side armor and getting in and engaging targets 10-15km. But when I look at the NC, it looks like it's less armored than the Colorado, Heck I don't even see any torpedo protection on its belt.

Make use of its ninja concealment to get close to deliver that 2.0 sigma sniper rifle. Make use of islands and angle a lot. NC is pretty tanky and  can easily make use of the back turret while angling constantly due to the great firing angles and the fact that she has a very tight turning radius of 760m. Do not bow-on. It's not really a thing anymore due to the HE spam meta.

Also, buy the AA upgrade. The range upgrade is 100% useless.

1,346 posts
8,860 battles

Keep Colorado for use in the tier 7 Scenarios. But if you are not planning to do that then by all means sell it.

Not really a fan of the Colorado. But the North Carolina is pretty good once you get the hang of it.

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles

Are you sure that you are losing credits with NC even in a "Good Game"? I doubt this part. If you could not turn profit with a tier 8 ship regardless of premium time or signals, it was evidently a meh game.

Anyway, Colorado is not very fun ship to play in general, so yeah, sell her to free up slots for your next ship.

1,493 posts

I love my Colorado, sure she is slow as all :etc_swear:, but very accurate & hard hitting, give great citadels & can sure take a pounding.... I still play mine quite regularly. 

Ordrazz

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,614 battles

i keep mine, colorado well when i 1st get it i hated it but some advice and tips from people here i grew to like it to even love it

very accurate hard hitting guns punish cruiser heavily and do big damage on BB 

as for NC you are not used to it yet, once you get a hang of it you will do decent damage and make credits..i don't have premium too but even lose make little credits plus i dont use flags to reduce cost..better to save them up for T9 T10 as t8 is still fine to make credits for non prem 

604 posts
7,608 battles
7 hours ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Any ideas on what upgrades I should put on the NC?

Main modification

AA 

Damage control

Rudder shift

Concealment

my build^^(not in sequece)

326 posts
10,532 battles

If u plan to keep it as collection / clubbing (since tier 7 is now tier 5) - YES, KEEP IT.

If u feel to poor / cheapskate / not enough port slots for ur new upcoming ships - NOPE, JUST SELL IT.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Battleships aren't generally optimal for credit farming (except for that one battleship) anyway. Just keep some cruisers in lower tiers (4 to 7) for farming credits.

But you can use when half as sleep and you dont need to load expensive consumables to cure a mistake either :v.

Esp that failproof teabag big bob line

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,288 posts
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Battleships aren't generally optimal for credit farming (except for that one battleship) anyway. Just keep some cruisers in lower tiers (4 to 7) for farming credits.

They farm well in Co-Op.

especially in that one battleship.......

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

460 posts
8,337 battles

I kept my Colorado because i quite liked it. It has some of the best guns at T7, with only Nagato really having similar firepower. She has good AA and can maneuver well. Her armour is pretty decent as well. She's difficult to master at first, but rewarding once you get the knack.

I once scored 6 kills and a ridiculous amount of damage in a ranked battle in her, it was pretty hilarious and fun.

However ultimately the choice should be whether _you_ liked her or not. If you did then keep her, otherwise don't. Of course the number of port slots and resources should factor into it, she's a tech tree ship you can always buy her again if you want.