Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zhorphia

Torp Spam with FUBUKI

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
3 posts
4,503 battles

When I upgraded my MUTSUKI to FUBUKI,it felt like a gift from above(specially when you are grinding MUTSUKI). With 10 km torps,I was excited to play with it. But I just could not get enough torp damage. It is hard to hit targets with 59 knot torps,and is also hard to predict your targets movement at that range. Even with MUTSUKI,in a good game(rarely),I scored 4 to 5 torpedo hits. But with FUBUKI,what I do is just gather info for my team,and put up torp walls to temporary block CAs and BBs to come that way. I am asking my fellow captains,is there any way I am missing to play this ship,where I can fully utilize its torpedo power? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Fubuki excel in fending a flanking attempt, specially when not led by enemy DD. Best advice is look at your target and also notice who else from your team might cause him turn away / in. A cruiser pushing in is more likely to turn away if you have a friendly BB who is shooting him, a pushing BB is more likely to do the opposite, i.e. turn into your allies to minimize damage. Also 10km range is redundant, to score good hits, you have to drop them from much closer anyway. Just let your top tier DDs to deal with enemy DD and you stop flank attempts. Play around your concealment range and be careful about enemy radar range. You are going to face Belfasts in almost every game.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
224
[151ST]
Member
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

I run Torpedo Acceleration. With concealment build still gives you almost 2km fudge factor...

(8km torps, 6.1ish spotted range)

I don't contest caps, I will try to cap but I run if there's a DD that will out knife fight me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,000 posts
7,415 battles
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, Zhorphia said:

When I upgraded my MUTSUKI to FUBUKI,it felt like a gift from above(specially when you are grinding MUTSUKI). With 10 km torps,I was excited to play with it. But I just could not get enough torp damage. It is hard to hit targets with 59 knot torps,and is also hard to predict your targets movement at that range. Even with MUTSUKI,in a good game(rarely),I scored 4 to 5 torpedo hits. But with FUBUKI,what I do is just gather info for my team,and put up torp walls to temporary block CAs and BBs to come that way. I am asking my fellow captains,is there any way I am missing to play this ship,where I can fully utilize its torpedo power? Thanks

That you can fire torps from 10km doesn't mean you *should*. Obviously, at max range, during the time the torpedo travels, any small change in course or speed of your target will mean your torpedo will miss.

If you want torps to hit fairly reliably, fire them from 3-5km...  which is called suicidal range for a reason... but then, there is SMOKE! There are ISLANDS!

So:

  • Don't "spam" torps, they have a 76s reload - THINK before you fire
  • Get as close as you can (that means maneuvering)
  • Preferably fire torps at broadsides of ships (that means maneuvering)
  • Only fire torps at ships that steam towards you if you have to (self-defense) or there is nothing else to shoot at
  • Do not fire torps at ships steaming away from you
  • I generally use narrow spread and "finger" the two spreads, or fire them side-by-side, depending on the situation
  • Don't fire torps at all with friendly ships between you and your target, or you may turn pink

Alternative, learn/practice more aggressive tactics. Approach, drop smoke, fire torps and guns, get out of there while you can. IJN DD's and Fubuki with 37 knots top speed are not best for this, but it can be done.

Fubuki is a great ship, it is very much a favorite of mine and I trained my first ever 10 point captain on her.

Talking about that, once you have a 10 point captain and earned Concealment Expert, you  have 6.1km detection range with camo. Someone else said Torpedo Acceleration. That gives you +5 knots speed and 8km range, meaning 1.9km buffer, considering you have 6.1km detection... For me personally that's a "nah", with a bit experience you will still score hits with the slower torps, but it is good to have the extra reach for area denial. Best would be you try that out for yourself.

Still, with all skill, there may be games where you don't have a single torpedo hit. Basically because you don't have dumb BB captains that always drive in straight lines on the enemy team. It happens. In those games you have to make your XP by spotting, capping and with your guns. Keep an eye on the map, sometimes both teams fight hard over two caps, but a third is just sitting there, waiting for a switched-in DD captain to take it. And if a BB has her guns pointed away from you, keep out of her secondary range and pepper her with HE.

DD captains have to be fearless and creative.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
9 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Talking about that, once you have a 10 point captain and earned Concealment Expert, you  have 6.1km detection range with camo. Someone else said Torpedo Acceleration. That gives you +5 knots speed and 8km range, meaning 1.9km buffer, considering you have 6.1km detection... For me personally that's a "nah", with a bit experience you will still score hits with the slower torps, but it is good to have the extra reach for area denial. Best would be you try that out for yourself.

Yeah, torp acceleration isn't worth if you are planning to keep transferring that captain to higher tiers. Besides, Fubuki isn't really a stellar T6 DD, pretty meh compared to any other tier 6 DD.

I would rather suggest torpedo armament expertise, that reduces the reload. Couple that with adrenaline rush, you can get down torp reload to below 1 minute, that is pretty good in Fubuki. I think PT, LS, SE, CE, TAE, AR (15) are core builds for IJN torp dd line. Then you take RPF but I doubt people would invest such captain on a ship like Fubuki where Shinonome is outright a better ship.

On topic, I have limited experience in IJN DDs, I just hate boring DD play style that spends 80% of time looking at enemy ship instead of doing much at all. But from my experience, you can always hit battleships, doesn't matter how well he WASD s. You just need to play the mind game right. I can hit stuff with sims torpedo, which are slowest in the game (apart from black). So I feel like, the experience in other DD line helps a lot for IJN DD, sadly, the server starts with IJN DD first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
224
[151ST]
Member
1,010 posts
4,494 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Yeah, torp acceleration isn't worth if you are planning to keep transferring that captain to higher tiers. Besides, Fubuki isn't really a stellar T6 DD, pretty meh compared to any other tier 6 DD.

I would rather suggest torpedo armament expertise, that reduces the reload. Couple that with adrenaline rush, you can get down torp reload to below 1 minute, that is pretty good in Fubuki. I think PT, LS, SE, CE, TAE, AR (15) are core builds for IJN torp dd line. Then you take RPF but I doubt people would invest such captain on a ship like Fubuki where Shinonome is outright a better ship.

On topic, I have limited experience in IJN DDs, I just hate boring DD play style that spends 80% of time looking at enemy ship instead of doing much at all. But from my experience, you can always hit battleships, doesn't matter how well he WASD s. You just need to play the mind game right. I can hit stuff with sims torpedo, which are slowest in the game (apart from black). So I feel like, the experience in other DD line helps a lot for IJN DD, sadly, the server starts with IJN DD first.

Yeah I'll re-spec whenever I get around to pushing IJN DDs... Which sadly I'm in no rush to do...

Will be running Torp Acceleration on Shima 12s though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,000 posts
7,415 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Then you take RPF but I doubt people would invest such captain on a ship like Fubuki where Shinonome is outright a better ship.

All the personal preferences aside, your advice how to improve results with Fubuki is to buy Shinonome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
16 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

All the personal preferences aside, your advice how to improve results with Fubuki is to buy Shinonome?

Ya, only if you knew that Shinonome couldn't be bought, it's a free ship. Also, if you call my opinion as "Personal Preference", your's are same too. Read the captain skill and how to aim for torps I suggested in previous post. This is all about personal preferences. Don't bother to quote on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×